I have a corrupted profile after a recent update. Can somebody help me figure out how to do a repair install?

Fast traslate
Icon translate

I had previously requested help, but I had trouble getting assistance locally. I need to do a repair install. All files are read only, and I need to use a bootable media. I have heard that sandisk usb drives may require to be partitioned, and I do not have all the links except in one of these links:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-forced-an-update-didnt-recognize-my/9cf90e3a-8008-4538-8bd2-debf7d6049b3

or 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-update-crashes-windows-and-previous-update/0802d582-a89e-4f91-ae7a-1b89e8d962a3

I have to try to do the repair install, so I can back up all of my files. but I need to figure out how to change all read-only files so I can back them up.

Also, there is a new update, but I need to figure out if I should wait to update it until after I fix my profile. Right now, it is on a metered connection.

Please advise.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Let me know what happens when you create another Local Admin account like I wrote in my first post.

I am here to help you if you need it.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Millions helped via my tutorials and personally in forums for 12 years. Now an Independent Advisor.

I do not quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Let me know what happens when you create another Local Admin account like I wrote in my first post.

Well, I created the new account, then I made it an administrator account. I am not sure why it made me create three security questions. The very first profile just made me make a password hint. Since I wasn't able to get my dad to help me today, I will have to do it tomorrow. I am guessing that I will have to back up everything somehow. I think that you are suggesting that I won't have to use the command prompt, but I am not sure. I know that I want to go beyond C:/users, but I also want to try to do the repair install that is likely in several posts. I will probably want to delete previously backed up C;/users and try to undo the read-only files and some of those links about read only files do not seem to apply. The initially copied files did not copy all of C:/users, and I know that it did not copy all of the files due to them being read only. I will try to copy some system files such as fonts, etc. However, if I can repair the original profile, that might not be necessary.

The new account is not a Microsoft account, but it is an administrator account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did create that account. However,

In an earlier post, you had mentioned that if I want to copy read only files, I need to go to the command prompt and boot using a bootable media. However the instructions that you gave me basically say to save to a USB drive or dvd. I want to save to an external hard drive. I do not want to simply copy to an alternate profile. Is it possible to copy to an external hard drive at command prompt, or copy other files than C;/user to another profile and override read only? See here:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2880-open-command-prompt-boot-windows-10-a.html

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed that there has not been any further replies. I am still awaiting a reply. I am also trying to get help on tenforums now.

Please see the link here to see what they are saying. They are claiming i don't need a bootable media, but need to edit the registration. However, they won't say anything about how that is messing up other people's accounts, and are not answering all my questions. I still am waiting on a response about if using the command prompt can use an external hard drive. I have mentioned about wanting to copy more than C:/users and files being read only. That is why I think that you mentioned command prompt, and not simply copying to the alternate profile.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, the link above, they keep saying other things, like I need to edit the registry to fix the corrupt profile. Someone who tried that, said it deleted two profiles. These people will not address that. They will not answer a lot of my questions. Please try to address my remaining questions here. I suspect that a combination of responses on these sites might help me, but I am not sure. I do not understand why nobody is responding here, as I have asked more than one person.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

At tenforums, the main person who was responding now has refused to answer questions because I keep asking for solutions to read-only files, and other things that they are not answering and blocked me. I hope someone else will answer. Please look there, and if you can, answer here. Nobody is helping me. I still need to fix windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2021 Views 161 Applies to: