How to stop Windows 10 from automatic updates and automatic restarts

I have been a Microsoft supporter for years but I'm about fed up with Windows 10 automatic updates and automatic restarts.  I have to turn the networks I'm usually on to "metered" connections so I don't get automatic updates but then my outlook doesn't send work related emails because I need to click on an option to send my email even on a metered network and if I forget then my clients do not receive time sensitive emails.

Also I do a lot of multi-tasking so I have many windows open and have multiple art files open, and when a stupid update gets downloaded and restarts my computer I lose HOURS of information from the reboot.  

I'm honestly pretty fed up with Microsoft FORCING me to download an update but moreso because it FORCES my computer to restart.  Is there an answer to I can disable the automatic restart?  If not, my 20 year dedication to Microsoft is over and I'm moving everything to Mac.  I'm severely disgusted at the lack of user control on this matter.

I'm pretty sure there are forums that address these but unfortunately I do not have time because I need to put it into re-doing everything I lose from these stupid restarts and updates.

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Are you running Win10 Home or...?

What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Version 1793 build 15063.674

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Home or Pro?

Home you have no control over, Pro you have limited control.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One down, one to go...
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I stumbled on this question 3 minutes ago after Windblows update rebooted in the middle of a 26 hour 3d print and seriously screwed up my z axis motors and print job due their FORCED reboot, anyone know how to shut it off?.  I too was an ardent MS supporter since Windows 3.1 and a VB VC VS SQL SERVER programmer since 95...  Now I am wondering if it's finally time for a look at Linux or something else.

Thanks.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to agree although Windows auto updates don't affect me negatively. I understand the vast ecosystem of Windows users. Many who have differing needs that require updates to be delayed sometimes given their needs. This one size fits all approach is not allowing for users to decide how they receive updates and when they should upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10. The end result is frustration and even upgrading to Win 10 Pro doesn't solve every users needs to control updates. For myself the updates have not created much problems but minor issues, but have worked with clients who have experienced significant issues with forced updates. Going back with regression options does little because Windows update will just force the updates again. Leaving little options but to try Win 10 Pro, or move back to Windows 7 for more control with updates. For some users its come down to moving to Mac OS or a Linux OS to simply move past Windows altogether. I got Fall Creator update on one PC that wasn't even approved to get it or support it by the PC maker. How is it I get the update when the PC doesn't support it? Obviously if the PC maker will not support it fully, then any issues with it will result in the PC maker telling me to uninstall a unsupported version of Windows 10. How can I do that if it will only install it again in a update?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to agree although Windows auto updates don't affect me negatively. I understand the vast ecosystem of Windows users. Many who have differing needs that require updates to be delayed sometimes given their needs. This one size fits all approach is not allowing for users to decide how they receive updates and when they should upgrade to a newer version of Windows 10. The end result is frustration and even upgrading to Win 10 Pro doesn't solve every users needs to control updates. For myself the updates have not created much problems but minor issues, but have worked with clients who have experienced significant issues with forced updates. Going back with regression options does little because Windows update will just force the updates again. Leaving little options but to try Win 10 Pro, or move back to Windows 7 for more control with updates. For some users its come down to moving to Mac OS or a Linux OS to simply move past Windows altogether. I got Fall Creator update on one PC that wasn't even approved to get it or support it by the PC maker. How is it I get the update when the PC doesn't support it? Obviously if the PC maker will not support it fully, then any issues with it will result in the PC maker telling me to uninstall a unsupported version of Windows 10. How can I do that if it will only install it again in a update?

Hey there... I just ordered a used computer on ebay with Windows 7 on it to run my printers, WAY WORTH the $100.  I also just bought a hard drive for another to install Linux on, stay tuned.  BTW, I hate Linux more than hell itself, but in this case there are no other options.  Funny that MS can sell the OEM hardware Win CE flavors to companies but not individuals.  Can you imagine if they blew up an entire manufacturing facility with one of their excrement loaded botched updates?

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On the 23rd October what was said** to be Fall Creators & other WUs were installed. Immediately afterwards I had the BSOD (not that I'm blaming it - that seems to upsets some experts here). Thankfully I had just bought a new cheap laptop as a backup in case this happened, so I was able to get help using that and a Clean Install was recommended.

I'm still frantically reinstalling my programs - sorry, an age thing, my Apps - and all my lost  documents (lost but still the in clouds and on File History).

So the last thing I want at the minute is to be "rescued" by Patch Tuesday's Cumulative WU.

I've accidently found a low-tech way to stop the CWU - I have a slideshow running on my desktop. It seems that this keeps going 24/7 and has kept the CWU at bay.

As I said, low tech but it's still working for me! Try it.

** PS AN MS-badged employee has told me he thinks that I didn't get Fall Creators (or what was called Creators Fall WU) but a test version. Test version??? Cripes.

Updated at 15:51 to clarify.

version 21H1, OS build 19043.115

You MUST visit "Sharing experiences and staying safe, together" - see Andreea_C's profile

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I typed this reply 3 times, my browser keeps crashing because answers.microsoft.com runs some @#*&$#$ script that hangs and redirects infinitely so it takes my browser with it and because the site doesn't just show a text box there is no text to restore, because if you ever do a site that takes user input make sure it's built with concepts like looks and style in mind, not users.

Reduced to Ctrl+C every 30 seconds. Like in 1995. Because simply putting up a phpbb would have too many features. Who rolls out a site that locks up Edge, Chrome and Firefox? ANYWAY.

a) You can use Global Policy to disable updates.

Advantages: Legal, kinda works.

Disadvantages: Microsoft sees that you told it not not install, but will install anyway if there is a major update because middle finger to anyone who paid money.

If you can live with a restart every 6 months or so, this is the way to go.

- GPEdit.msc

- Notify before downloading

- Notify before installing

- Do not restart while user is logged on. (All named ironically, I assume)

b) Advanced. Kill Windows Update.

Advantages: Will not update.

Disadvantages: May have minor side effects, like not updating drivers.

- Disable Windows Update and BITS services. (Guides abundant; Google "Disable Windows Update service", use registry the latest version ignores policy)

c) Master: Kill access to Windows Update Services

Advantages: Will not update, period

Disadvantages: May encounter random xxxxx005 errors in your logs as it tries to desperately bypass what you do.

- Look up online "Disable access to wuauserv.exe"

d) Grandmaster: Kill them in the firewall

Advantages: No patching will fix that. As long as you don't update again.

Disadvantages: Almost none. May complain it hasn't been updated every few months. You can disable the notification. Google "Disable Windows Update firewall"

Warning: On-site cheap firewalls use Windows Filtering Platform to filter packets and Microsoft may just bypass that because they have no concept of respecting user settings suggestions.

e) Guru: Malform local storage to think it's up to date

Advantages: Windows update, as annoying as it is, is such a fragile thing. You learn a lot as an admit trying to fix it and a nice database corruption simply can't be fixed unless you actively debug it.

Disadvantages: None. Windows Update components run, look for updates, find nothing, hum along.

This is too complex to attempt on your own via a forum.

But whatever you do, do NOT risk your genuine Windows installation by installing some tune that fixes Windows Update by some guru. That would be a silly risk to take. An installation not built by Microsoft may send data to other parties, watch what you type, track you, serve you ads and simply ignore instructions to uninstall, as opposed to the genuine article.

Remember: Just because you purchased a product and they can change it after you paid doesn't mean you can revert it to what it was when you purchased it. That is immoral and against TOS.

It may work well on the surface, and it may be ideal for virtual machines, cloning, mission critical boxes and routers and services, but the risk is huge.

33 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, all wanted to tell you the trick, not sure if it works for you the way it almost working for me since a long term.

But let me describe a review before saying a solution. Actually i'm fed up too badly, I bought new system today, installed fresh 1703 updated till oct from USB. it was all good trust me, But unfortunately my system's Video controller was missing and I searched but found nothing, so I thought let me give it a try to update windows to get that driver, My bad, this is my bad, I was useless I was hopeless I was sitting infront of desktop like a stupid who keep sucking his fingers for entire 5 hours to get a 40MB video controller thing with a good internet connection. Honestly when I saw updated history, the driver was updated at 4th minute when updating was started and entire 4 hours and 56 minutes was wasted to get stupid 1709??? It's overall storage nearly 6GB. that's insane!

So now we are going to keep both OS'es into System partition and 1703 shall stand useless???? I mean what does it mean to Lose storage and keep that 1703 along with 1709 if 1709 going work overall???? Any answer Microsoft??

And why didn't you Stopped 1703 where it was last updated. And release Standalone 1709 to keep your experiments on and release new updates. My opinion, MS should leave 1703 separate from 1709. and if they keep giving touch to huge updates then better to Release new OS. That's all.

How disable Updates:

1. Go to > control panel > Administrative tools > Services > Find ''Windows Update'' > Double click > Windows Update > General tab > Press Stop > Disable Update from drop down menu > Click  Apply > Recovery tab > Select & mark > Take no action < from top 3 options list. and Insert > 0 < into > Reset fail count after. Press Apply > Ok. That's all. I'm sure you will see the difference!!!!

Remember me in your prayers! Good luck!

34 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2021 Views 13,875 Applies to: