How to STOP Window 10 from DOWNLOADING updates.......

Hello,

I have just downloaded Windows 10, seems fine so far except for one thing...

I want to turn-off Automatic Updates.

I don't mind it Updating my computer, I just have Satellite internet which has a data cap.

I have unlimited downloading between 3 am and 8 am, so I would like to set the Updates to that time, but I can find no way of doing this.

I tried the Metered thing, but I'm hard-wired, not WiFi.

There is no gpedit.msc for the Group Policy on 10 Home edition, so I can't change it that way.

I'm at a loss, can someone help me here?

Thanks........Val

Question Info

Last updated August 23, 2019 Views 2,611 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Valerie,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to turn off Automatic updates on your Windows 10 PC. I’ll certainly help you with this.

To turn off the Automatic Windows update, follow these steps.

1. Press Windows key and type Windows Update settings, hit Enter.

2. Click on advanced option.

3. Under Choose how updates are installed, select notify to schedules restart.

4. You’ll be asked to schedule a restart to finish installing updates.

I would like to let you know that the updates won't download over a metered connection.

Hope this will help you. Post us back if you need further assistance. We’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

if you are running Windows 10 home, you could write a couple of tiny batch files to turn off/on the update service

to turn windows update on create a new text file with the following two lines, save as StartUpd.bat

@echo off

net start wuauserv

to turn windows update off create a new text file with the following two lines, save as StopUpd.bat

@echo off

net Stop wuauserv

using task scheduler, set them to run as an administrator at the times you want to allow updates to download.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

NO! The metered setting only applies to wireless internet services. I have Windows 10 Pro. I also have a 5 GB cap on my Satellite Internet. I need to ONLY check for and download updates between the hours of 12:00 AM and 5:00 AM daily, as I get 50 GB during those hours. I can find no settings to select the hours that Windows performs it's updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

See if this is helpful, which sets your ethernet as metered.:

www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35656-ethernet-connection-set-metered-unmetered-windows-10-a.html

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

Not at all. Please read my original post and see if you can find a useful answer. I have a WIRED connection to my satellite modem and Windows thinks I have a LAN. Please provide me with settings to only allow Windows to update between 12 AM and 5 AM, or maybe free unlimited internet access I live in the country and don't have access to cable, FIOS, or any other broadband service that is not metered.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Martmcd  provided a good advice, have you tried it?

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

Sorry this didn't help.

the link supplied by Sumit Dhiman2 provides a registry change to set the WIRED connection to metered, did you read it? or try it?

however, I still prefer to simply turn off the Windows update service, that avoids the warnings such as outlook working offline (and others)

and by using task scheduler to run the batch files you can avoid having to get updates manually, once set up there will be no need to do anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought I had come back here and answered all the questions and advise.

So I apologize for not getting back to this thread.

I did go into the Task Scheduler, but when I got in I was very confused as what to do.

I am fairly computer literate, but that was a little above my head.

I didn't know what to do once I got in there.

I've never done anything in the Task Scheduler.

Do I create the files inside Task Scheduler or before I open?

First, where do I save these 2 batch files?

Again, sorry for not getting back here.

And thanks for all the help.......Val

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Val,

Don't apologise, we all have lives out side the forums.

you can save the batch files where ever you find easy, as long as they are accessible to the task scheduler, for ease how about c:\batchfiles

you can run the batch files yourself just by double clicking on them (or right click and select Run as Administrator).

one thing I failed to mention was to check that the service is set to manual

click Start and type services, right click on Services and select Run as Administrator

Scroll down the list of services to Windows Update

Right click on the Windows Update service and select Properties.

in Start up Type choose Manual. Click Ok and close services.

to confuse things further you don't actually need the batch files if you only going to use task scheduler to turn the service on and off.

Open Task Scheduler and from the right hand pane, select Create Task.

Give it a name (that means something) and description, Run with Highest privileges and configure for Windows 10.

Click on the Triggers Tab and select New

this is the Start the Service schedule so make sure to select a time that you want it to get Updates.

Select Daily (or weekly if you only want to do it once a week), select a time that you are happy to start the Windows Update service and click Ok

Click on the Actions tab and click New.

if you want it to run your batch file, you can click the browse button and navigate to it or you can simply type Net into the program/script box and Start wuauserv into the Add arguments box (does the same thing without the need for a batch file.

Click Ok

I will let you decide on Conditions and Settings - they will only affect this task if you change anything.

Click OK

it will ask for User Password - give it the details of an administrator account.

Create another task in the same way for the Stopping of the service (replacing Start with Stop)

Add two triggers for the stopping of the service 1. at the time your ISP limits your downloads (or you want to turn it off) and 2. when the computer starts - just to make sure that if it were to restart, that the service will not continue to run.

Hope that helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows Backup: Troubleshooting Options (RED X) Check your Backup Settings

Your computer has been restored to an earlier point in time.

As a result, your backup setting might be out of date.

2 options to click on:

Change backup settings or

Keep current settings

Which do I do and what does this mean?  [SOURCE]

Assuming you upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. When (exact date, preferably) did you upgrade to Win10?

2. Did you upgrade a Win7 SP1 computer or a Win8.1 computer [PICK ONE] to Win10?

3. Was the upgrade offered & installed via Windows Update or did you use the Media Creation Tool & ISO download?

4. What is the full name of your currently-installed third-party anti-virus application or security suite - i.e., not Windows Defender! - (if any), and when (approx. date) does your current subscription (if any) expire?

5. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

6. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

7. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

8. Is KB3140743 or KB3135174 [PICK ONE] currently listed in Installed Updates (not Update History)? [1]

9. Is Adobe Flash Player v20.0.0.306 [sic] installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER OR EDGE ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Example of the Version Info box on that page

(disregard the table below the Version Info box)

10. Is Firefox version 44.0.2 (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 48.0.2564.116 (or higher) and/or any other alternate browser installed?

11. Are you in the habit of using "registry cleaners" (e.g., CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced SystemCare; Advanced System Optimizer; Glary Utilities; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; PC Doctor; Registry Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro;  Registry Booster; SpeedUpMyPC; System Mechanic; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Wise Care 365; Wise Cleaner)?

==============================================

[1] Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.