How to roll back Windows 10

The latest Windows update has caused my 2nd monitor to stop working (Windows no longer detects its existence).

System restore was not enabled (perhaps because system disk is small SSD, with secondary HDD), and Settings app does not have option "Go back to the previous version of Windows 10".

How can I revert to the previous version of Windows 10?  There must be some roll-back package available that would revert the OS to pre-August update...?

Once that has been achieved, how I can I prevent any more Windows 10 updates?

Hi Jake74,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm Janelee, an Independent Advisor and community member like you. I'll be glad to help you.

Learn how to rollback updates from this site:

https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/undo-wind...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Regards,
Janelee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

https://www.dummies.com/computers/pcs/undo-wind...

Thanks for the suggestion, this does give some route to uninstall updates, but it is problematic.

After an update is uninstalled, and you are prompted to reboot, when you return to the list of updates, you find a different update (with a different KB number) has been installed in its place.  The remaining one of those will not uninstall (gives meaningless error: "An error has occurred.  Not all of the updates were successfully uninstalled.").

Removing the recent updates I was able to did not resolve the problem.  I suspect an update has blown the HDMI-to-VGA converter I was using.

In the longer term, I would like to disable Windows updates completey, so I can avoid this sort of problem: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  How can I achieve that?  (I am aware of the security implications of doing so, but I consider those a much lower risk than allowing a Windows update to render my hardware entirely unusable.  Viruses can be easily removed; Windows updates can't.)

Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products).

Surely all products are potentially unwanted, including Christmas presents? 😉  And why should I watch out for such ads?  Shouldn't I be ignoring them instead?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings!

Thanks for your response.

I understand that you would like to disable Windows update. Yes you may do that. Please follow these steps:

Go to "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update". Double-click "Configure Automatic Updates". Select "Disabled" in Configured Automatic Updates on the left, and click Apply and "OK" to disable the Windows automatic update.

As for the ads, yes I agree that you may ignore it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Go to "Computer Configuration" > "Administrative Templates" > "Windows Components" > "Windows Update".

I have Windows 10 Home edition.  This I think applies to Group Policy Editor which is not avialable in the Home edition.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jake74,

Try this one.

Press windows button
search for Windows update settings
Click on Recovery.
Roll back to the previous version.

Regards,
Janalee

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Click on Recovery.
Roll back to the previous version.

That option is not available:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh I see. Sorry to hear that. Please check this out and see which recovery option would work best for you:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/12415/...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2021 Views 788 Applies to: