How do I remove the Administrator account on Windows 10?

Upgraded to windows 10 and it sort of created a duplicate account for an administrator, and now instead of just booting up the laptop, it logs in on default to that new empty administrator account, then i have to manually switch to my own account. The same when i try to turn the laptop off or reboot it - every time it says that someone else's using this computer. Hiding the account with the command prompt was of no help.
For i find it extremely annoying , i tried to downgrade back to win 8.1, but the system won't let me do that. it says that before you can switch back you should remove another user's account you've created. But I did not, and I can't remove it obviously. Is there any way to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2019 Views 278,760 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This shouldn't be hard to fix.  Windows is not supposed to automatically login to anything, so can you do this for me to ensure the registry is set as such?

1. First, go to the Run box (press WindowsLogo + R) and run the command NETPLWIZ.

2. Make sure the checkbox is turned on, then click Apply.
    If it is already on, turn it off and back on, then click Apply.  This is in case the registry setting is not reflecting the actual state.

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

561 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply. Now it is everything listed in my first message PLUS i have to enter the password :)

In "users for this computer" i have two: myself and that administrator which is unable to be deleted.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Small steps. Can you check:  is this in addition to the normal built-in administrator account (the one with the real username of "administrator")?

To check, type net user at the command prompt.  You'll notice that this will show accounts that the NETPLWIZ dialog does not. For example, my actual Administrator account is disabled (the default), so it doesn't show (and it cannot be deleted, but you can disable it to keep it from being available or shown anywhere).  (The extra "localadmin" account I have is the admin account I use day-to-day, it's just a normal user account for me).

Anyway, if the one that you want to remove is "the one true admin", then I would just disable it.  If it's not, you can type net user username /delete to remove the account.  Note that you'll need to run Cmd prompt as admin, so right-click Start and choose Command Prompt Admin.

PS. Make double-sure you have a remaining admin account. If you don't, and you delete one or disable it, the only way to fix it is to erase your drive. That's why I have my own account, a "local admin" as a spare, and just leave the built-in one alone and disabled (it enables itself in safe mode

Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

25 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, the black thing lists "my regular account" as an administrator and then "default account" as guest.
The white thing says Administrator account is the built-in administrator account.
I tried to disable it but didn't succeed. By that I mean I was still logged in to that account when starting the computer only to find out that it was blocked.

Everything worked fine before Windows 10.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave up trying to delete it. Something is wrong. I have same issue BUT worse. I can save any files to Documents because EVERYTHING is now READ ONLY and it wont let me change it! Can save ONLY to Desk Top.

Here's MY other post.

Just downloaded 10. When I open a Word file or an Excel file and try to save it I get this

When I go into the File Save as in both Word and Excel etc it says ALL files are READ ONLY.

This is a mess. I can't save any file I have made to save any file to Documents at all. Have to save to desk top. MESS!

Also when I try to open Outlook (even though I don't use it that much) I get this error message.

God I wish I had Windows 7 back. It was perfect!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You had this question

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem moving from 8.1 to 10! Insane. Can't save any work, tells me I'm not authorized.. Can't open any existing files on the hard drive, only on USB backup. Saves to who knows?

Been on hold for over 3 hours (gave up after 1.5 hrs and tried again later)!!! Why can't they just fix this problem?

They now want me to upgrade my laptop running 7!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I can help fix it, trust me it'll be better than who you're holding for!  Are you still inside 8.1 at this point?

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

we have a general computer in the house. No one owns but everyone. With Windows 7 it was not a problem.

When upgraded to Windows 10 - it did not request a account or password. It was using the same one. 

Then we decided to use Netflix app - when asked for an account and password, I gave my own account and password from my personal computer. Well it changed the administrator to my account.

Next - no one could use the computer without my login. I have created a account and set as administrator but it does not work. This account cannot download app, cannot see the external storage. Cannot do anything.

I am going to reinstall Windows 10 as clean installation. This is my next frustration.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have almost all these faults (except with Outlook till now). So I decided to go back to Windows 7 but I can't! I have the answer:

You are created one account (Administrator). Go to Setting>Accounts>Other users to remove these accounts and then try again.

I used both advices of Shawn: netplwiz command and net user to check but no Administrator account besides normal built-in my account was found.

I went to Setting>Accounts but there I found only my account as Administrator and ASP.NET machine account among Other Users.

Now I can't work with Windows 10 and can't go back to Windows 7. Any help will be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I have to add that one time I created Administrator account with command net user administrator /active:yes but then I removed it with command net user administrator /active:no. Besides after the computer restart there is no admin account seen to choose from. There is only one and only my user account. 

74 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.