HELPMSG 2182.

Service registration is missing or corrupt, Type NET HELPMSG 2182. 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello, I have been following this problem on this site for a couple months now unsuccessfully trying the numerous suggested troubleshooting methods to fix this issue.  The following was my last effort, and it did NOT work.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I would like to inform you that this issue may occur due to Windows update is corrupt. I would recommend you to reset the windows update component manually. Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, CryptographicMSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

Note: Disable anti-virus program while installing Windows updates, if might detect some files as bug and the updates files might get corrupt during installation.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2019 Views 58,618 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Use the Following tutorial to  Reset Windows updates completely and check if it helps:

Reset Windows updates

Make sure to run the script as an administrator.

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Use the Following tutorial to  Reset Windows updates completely and check if it helps:

Reset Windows updates

Make sure to run the script as an administrator.

It did not work. I completed every step with precise attention to detail multiple times.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Let us check the system Files to see the corruption in the same.To do this do both of these:

• Perform System File Check (SFC)

Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open search Bar.

b. Type cmd without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

•  run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.
  1. Press Windows key + X.
  2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
  3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Volunteer Moderator

146 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

These steps did the trick for me. I needed to reinstall the .NET framework on a new Windows 10 laptop. Kept getting the dreaded Error 1935 when attempting to install apps like QuickBooks and Office 2010. When trying to turn off and reinstate the .NET framework features, I would get error code 0x80071A90. I ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter in this article, it returned HELPMSG 2182. I then disabled MacAfee anti-virus and stopped/started the services as describe above. I was able to remove and reinstall the .NET framework and get QuickBooks to install. I have been attempting to solve this issue for over two weeks now - thank you!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for this information. I have been plagued by the "Windows Update was unsuccessful" issue for months and finally had had enough! I went searching through dozens of articles, helps, Q&A, and FAQ's including some tips that took hours to complete... but to no avail. Your solution was simple, straightforward, and complete! I was done in less than 10 minutes and at last have a Windows 10 machine that updates properly.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi I am trying (without much success!!) to fix issues created by installing WIndows 10 on my computer.  The advice was to stop and remove the BITS, Cryptography and MSI Installer and then update them but its not working.  Everytime I put in:

net stop wuauser (enter) it tells me the help menu has not started and to put in:

NET HELPMSG 3521.  But that doesn't start anything either!!  It is getting sooooooo frustrating!  Word is not working, neither is Outlook or my pictures, I might as well have NO computer.  Windows 10 should be working OK by now and should NOT cause all these issues.

Please tell me what to do to FIX these issues.  My 'update and Help' linked to programs for updates are not available so I am working in the dark and need HELP and need it NOW.

PLEEZZE!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

To better assist you with your concern, may we know the all the troubleshooting steps that you have done so far to resolve your concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I received error code 87 with DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

and then error 1392 with DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth, the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There are different types of troubleshooting steps with this error code. To better assist you, we would be asking questions to get more information about your issue. Please answer the following:

• What specific problem you're currently encountering?
  • Did you get this error after you installed an update or software?

We'll be waiting on your response.

Sorry this didn't help.

The windows app store is not able to download. It disappeared and all my apps are missing, when i go to the app store it says they are on my computer. It appears that this problem coincides with an update. when i run  Troubleshooter it gives an error "Windows Store Cache may be damaged Not Fixed" . Everything in my start menu was gone. Sound was also dead but i got that working. Update says the update installed successfully.  WSReset  does not work either.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.