getting error 0x80d05001 generated by windows update

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3194496) - Error 0x80d05001

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 (Definition 1.229.676.0) - Error 0x80d05001

Internet traffic has been pegged to our account max for over a week due to windows update repeatedly failing on multiple machines while attempting updates subsequent to the "anniversary " update.  Every day a dozen or so systems will all report the same failures, with the same list of failed updates repeating on each system day after day.  At this point we have to shut down 75% of the systems in the business just to be able to email an image to a client.  To be able to successfully update a system, we shut down every system except one each night so it has full access. Our firewall is actively monitored and virtually all traffic is coming from Microsoft IP's. This is beyond ludicrous! All systems are similar, less than 2 year old desktop I5 systems with 4-8 GB RAM running MS office and a practice management system.  Essentially no user internet activity is allowed.  We have tried using the setting where files are downloaded to one system on the LAN and those files are supposed to be made available across the LAN if that is the best or fastest source.  This setting is being ignored.  If we restrict the business to only one workstation, then it will usually be updated successfully overnight, indicating that the problem is not with workstation hardware.   It will take a month to get the business past this issue, assuming that this is a one-time problem and not an indication of future performance.     Any hints on how to break this log jam would be great.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Error code 0x80d5001 is caused by unconfigured proxy servers. To address your issue, please refer to this link.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The referenced link would probably be useful if using a proxy server which so far as I know we are not.  Thanks anyway.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have heard that if you are using ANY browser other than EDGE, the process will not complete because of a phone home handshake that only EDGE seems able to process.  Since these systems are not supposed to be used for internet browsing, I will hide all links to EDGE after setting it as the default and see what happens differently, if anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

May we know what type of connection are you using? Is it Domain, Local Home Group or VPN?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are using a single Windows server 2012 with a domain, with all incoming traffic through a SonicWall firewall appliance.  Static IP's on all but laptops.  We can easily block downloads from MS servers at the firewall, but that is not a long-term solution.

Unfortunately, both download and upload are being swamped, which kills on-line backups as well and makes remote access support essentially unworkable.

We have a very plain-vanilla network and have not implemented active directory or group policy so far.

Installing 10-1511 went fine, 10-1607 was a bit of a pain, but the (KB3194496) cumulative update has brought us to our knees.  The business owner told me today that I have a week to fix this or we roll everything back to Win 7 and stay there.  I would rather not do that if possible.  Most systems are late 2014 Lenovo desktop units with the exception of Dell radiography capture systems and a few other specialties.

Sorry this didn't help.

Regarding your issue, we recommend you to reconfingure your network configuration from scratch. As mentioned on September 29, 2016 - KB3194496 (OS Builds 14393.222),  Microsoft addressed issues with HTTP downloads, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, cloud infrastructure, domain name system (DNS) server, and network controller that could've affected your network configuration.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be looking forward for your reply.

Sorry this didn't help.

By reconfigure, do you mean shut everything down and do a business-wide cold restart beginning at the WAN interface?  That is do-able and I will try it Thursday night. 

If you mean change settings, in what way and to what? 

System is straightforward:  Modem > firewall/router > (2) cascaded 24-port un-managed hubs > server and workstations.  Everything involved is on one subnet.  Off-site activity includes nightly data backup and customer services like UPS shipment tracking, card services, customer and supplier communications.  There is no active database interchange with any cloud service on a real-time basis other than the 3 minutes a day with UPS.

IP’s are static, so DHCP is not an issue.  DNS is from the server with GOOGLE as a backup WAN-side. What would you suggest changing?

Sorry this didn't help.

It didnt woked for me pls give another

Sorry this didn't help.

FWIW -

We seem to be past the worst of the update fiasco.  For us, what worked was to block all Microsoft download servers at the firewall so we could get things done during the day.  Then we shut every system down on the domain except one and turned off the blocks.  That one system was then able to update successfully, although we had to babysit it for reboots so it would be ready in the morning.   Come the morning, the blocks went back on.  It took a month  or so, but the blocks are now all off all day and we are still able to access the outside world for other purposes.  I'm holding my breath in anticipation of the next great update of Win 10. 

Sorry this didn't help.

So pls tell me what to do. Ieven cant download any app from store also.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 14, 2020 Views 4,195 Applies to: