Fonts Missing After Windows 10 Update

Why did I lose certain fonts in Excel and Word after upgrading to Windows 10? Is there any way to get them back? If so, how?? If not, is there a way to uninstall Windows 10? All of my Documents and Spreadsheets are messed up now because the font I use is gone...I would rather uninstall Windows 10 than update all of my work...Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2018 Views 32,692 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10. Understand the frustration when things won’t work the way it is supposed to.

I would like to ask you some questions in order to assist you better.

1. The font that is missing, is it part of Windows or separately purchased for Office?
  2. Can you check if the font is available in Wordpad or Notepad, as in Non-Office applications?
  3. Which version of Microsoft Office are you using?

Please revert with all the necessary information and we will be happy to help you.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The font in question is Narkisim. When I purchased Office 2013 a couple of months ago the font was already on there. I'm quite frustrated by this. The online chat told me to do an online repair to my Office and that didn't work. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue with missing characters and fonts.  One font I have noticed is Raavi. Has anyone had any resolve around this?  I am using a publishing program.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am missing Andulus, Enviro, Nyala - that I know of. And no, none of these fonts were purchased. I am a Microsoft Office 365 user and they were available with the programs in that suite..

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am missing all of my fonts including fonts for systems tools items like the date and clock and the wording in the Windows 10 search bar. The background fonts in all of my programs are missing. Everything displays as symbols (squares, check-marks and X's). When I tried to restore a document in Word with the only font showing on the pull down menu (Calibri) the document would not convert. The system fonts are scrambled in Clear Type Text or other advanced setting option windows within the OS. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't comment on Enviro --- that does not come with either Windows or Office.

But the Andalus and Nyala fonts were included in Windows 8.1 and are part of Windows 10 --- except that in Windows 10 they are included in optional font features. The same is true of the Narkism and Raavi fonts.

Each of those fonts is primarily intended for different languages:

• Andalus is an Arabic-script font
  • Narkism is a Hebrew-script font
  • Nyala is an Ethiopic-script font (used for languages such as Amharic and Tigrinya)
  • Raavi is a Gurmukhi font (used for Panjabi)

In the past, every Windows font was present on every user's system. But most Arabic users don't need Thai fonts; most Japanese users don't need Hindi fonts; etc. And so a number of Windows fonts have been moved into optional features. These features have language associations, and if you add the language into your user profile (which is equivalent to enabling a keyboard for that language) then the optional features (fonts, text prediction...) for that language will be installed automatically from Windows Update. (You need to be online.)

But anybody can also install any of the optional font features independently of language settings if they want. This is done in the Settings app:

• Click the Start button.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click on System.
  • Click on Apps & features.
  • Click on the link, Manage optional features.

The view that appears will list the optional features that are already installed. To install any other optional features.,

• Click on the "+" icon next to Add a feature.
  • Scroll through the list to find the optional feature you'd like to install. For the optional font features, if you hover over the item, you'll see additional details about which fonts are included in that feature.
  • When you find a feature you'd like to install, click on that item, and then click on Install.
  • Repeat this for as many optional features you'd like to install. When done, click on the back arrow in the upper left corner (upper right corner for Arabic or Hebrew Windows).

You should see the features you installed in the list of installed optional features, or they may appear as in progress of installing.

For more details, or if you have a similar issue with fonts missing after upgrading to Windows 10, see the topic, Some fonts are missing after upgrade

I hope that helps.

Peter

106 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't comment on Enviro --- that does not come with either Windows or Office.

But the Andalus and Nyala fonts were included in Windows 8.1 and are part of Windows 10 --- except that in Windows 10 they are included in optional font features. The same is true of the Narkism and Raavi fonts.

Each of those fonts is primarily intended for different languages:

• Andalus is an Arabic-script font
  • Narkism is a Hebrew-script font
  • Nyala is an Ethiopic-script font (used for languages such as Amhamric and Tigrinya)
  • Raavi is a Gurmukhi font (used for Panjabi)

In the past, every Windows font was present on every user's system. But most Arabic users don't need Thai fonts; most Japanese users don't need Hindi fonts; etc. And so a number of Windows fonts have been moved into optional features. These features have language associations, and if you add the language into your user profile (which is equivalent to enabling a keyboard for that language) then the optional features (fonts, text prediction...) for that language will be installed automatically from Windows Update. (You need to be online.)

But anybody can also install any of the optional font features independently of language settings if they want. This is done in the Settings app:

• Click the Start button.
  • Click Settings.
  • Click on System.
  • Click on Apps & features.
  • Click on the link, Manage optional features.

The view that appears will list the optional features that are already installed. To install any other optional features.,

• Click on the "+" icon next to Add a feature.
  • Scroll through the list to find the optional feature you'd like to install. For the optional font features, if you hover over the item, you'll see additional details about which fonts are included in that feature.
  • When you find a feature you'd like to install, click on that item, and then click on Install.
  • Repeat this for as many optional features you'd like to install. When done, click on the back arrow in the upper left corner (upper right corner for Arabic or Hebrew Windows).

You should see the features you installed in the list of installed optional features, or they may appear as in progress of installing.

I hope that helps.

Peter

The "Raavi" font that we use is a Truetype Font not for a different language.   I have tried to load it again but it still shows up in rectangle blocks.  It is on labels we use for our company....hundreds of label designs.  See the pic of what the font looks like below.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, LINDAKW.

The Raavi font is a Windows font that is primarily intended to support the Panjabi language and any other languages written using the Gurmukhi script. The image you've shown is the same font. It does support characters used in English, but nonetheless was created primarily to support Panjabi. The image below shows the entire set of characters supported in that font.

If you want to use Raavi, please install the optional feature, "Gurmukhi Supplemental Fonts", using the instructions provided earlier.

I believe the Latin characters in the Raavi font were actually adapted from the Microsoft Sans Serif font, which you should find installed on any Windows 10 desktop system. You might look at that as well.

Raavi character set:

I hope this helps.

Peter

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Peter,

Thank you it worked!

You saved us tons of editing!

Linda

Sorry this didn't help.

Peter,

Thank you!

This worked for me, I was missing DokChampa font.

I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Cheers!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.