Fixed - KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

I updated with this today but it says KB4058258 Requires a restart to finish installing

Any help?

Restarted about 4 times

windows 10 1709 build 16299.214

Edit: Fixed it by uninstalling and manually downloading and installing the patch

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

We're glad to know that you were able to resolve your issue with installing the KB4058258 update. If in case you'll need additional assistance with your Microsoft products and services, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

same problem on my PC with older AMD Athlon CPU.

Error code was 0x80070bc2 (ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED).

But applying update was a little more tricky.

Could be solved as followed:

1. Stop Windows Update service and deactivate it

2. delete complete folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution

3. Download update KB4058258 manually from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4058258

4. disconnect / unplug from network

5. reboot

5. set Windows update service to start type "manually"

6. install update manually with downloaded update file windows10.0-kb4058258-x64_xxxxxxxxxxxx.msu

7. restart PC after installation is finished  (PC will start several times due to update procedure)

8. after final restart login, windows key + I --> update & security --> Update History and check in list that KB4058258 is available with current installation date

9. execute "winver" from command line

10. check that build number now is 16299.214

11. reconnect to network

12. windows key + I --> update & security --> and search for updates: windows key + I --> update & security --> KB4058258 should not be offered again

Regards

Klaus

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been asked for a reply. I have not used the long-haired workaround, Klaus. Originally, i.e. late evening in Denmark (Feb3), the streamed TV program I was watching was having a bad time. So, I looked into the Update & Security panel in Settings. It was busily checking for updates and eventually found KB4058258, which it started downloading in smaller portions. This took a long time. When the RESTART NOW button appeared, I stopped everything else and complied. After some more time, and more than one restart, the computer got through all the tasks and I was back in business again after about 60-90 minutes altogether. I went back to the Update & Security panel to view Update History, but it was busily checking for updates again. Again, the RESTART NOW button appeared, so I shut down the computer and went to bed. This morning, I pressed the button after start-up and everything had apparently gone well. Looking today at the Update History information, there are 2 entries for KB4058258. The older one, where it failed, had error code 0x80240034, and the newer one was just normal 'successfully installed' info. That's it, folks! Regards, John  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

same problem on my PC with older AMD Athlon CPU.

Error code was 0x80070bc2 (ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED).

But applying update was a little more tricky.

Could be solved as followed:

1. Stop Windows Update service and deactivate it

2. delete complete folder C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution

3. Download update KB4058258 manually from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4058258

4. disconnect / unplug from network

5. reboot

5. set Windows update service to start type "manually"

6. install update manually with downloaded update file windows10.0-kb4058258-x64_xxxxxxxxxxxx.msu

7. restart PC after installation is finished  (PC will start several times due to update procedure)

8. after final restart login, windows key + I --> update & security --> Update History and check in list that KB4058258 is available with current installation date

9. execute "winver" from command line

10. check that build number now is 16299.214

11. reconnect to network

12. windows key + I --> update & security --> and search for updates: windows key + I --> update & security --> KB4058258 should not be offered again

Regards

Klaus

Did not work for me.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brian, 

Have you tried to uninstall the update and manually installing it as what ukheather, the thread creator did to fix the issue? If not, I suggest that you uninstall the update through Settings > Update history > Uninstall updates > select the update and click Uninstall > click Yes to confirm > Restart PC and reset your update components manually and see if there are any changes: 

1. Run Command Prompt as Administrator    

2. Stop BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following command:    

1. Net stop wuauserv    

2. Net stop cryptSvc    

3. Net stop bits    

4. Net stop msiserver    

3. Rename SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. To do this, type the following commands:    

1. Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old   

2. Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old    

4. Restart BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following command:    

1. Net start wuauserv    

2. Net start cryptSvc    

3. Net start bits    

4. Net start msiserver    

5. Restart your computer and try to install Windows Update.  

For more information regarding on how to reset Windows Update components, kindly refer to the article entitled "How do I reset Windows Update components?". 

After resetting the update components, download the update and install it from Microsoft Update Catalog. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.

I did try uninstalling and manually reinstalling, and everything in Microsoft's update trouble shooter.  Eventually got it to update by doing an "upgrade" installation from 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. 

I didn't think that was going to work either, as once the "upgrade" was complete Windows update still had KB4058258 as an available update, but that time it finally installed successfully.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This seems a real pain. It has happened on one of my devices (6-year old Core i5) and I'm afraid I am just leaving it to see if the next CU behaves itself. Meanwhile the OS version is shown as correctly updated (16299.214) and the update status is shown as "up to date" even though the entry in update history is still requesting a restart. I've left feedback via the Hub suggesting it would be nice if the status of such an update could be reported unambiguously.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are glad to hear that your PC now is working fine. If you have any further queries in the future, don't hesitate to create a thread here in the community. We will do our best to help you out.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Michael, 

Have you tried the troubleshooting steps done by BrianGarw? If not, I recommend that you perform a repair upgrade and see if there are a any changes. To know how to perform a repair upgrade, kindly refer to the forum article entitled "How to: Perform a Repair Upgrade Using the Windows 10 ISO file". 

Let us know how it goes. 

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, if only you had been reading my issues with this same update you would have been spared some work.

But my profile (and all my threads) were temporarily on hiatus so, sadly, it was not available to you until a Community Moderator was able to address the issue today.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-troubleshooter-cant-clear-the/8182cb0c-736e-4b26-b1cc-37ee4c5b4233

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 14, 2021 Views 44,919 Applies to: