File History Does Not Work

Hi,

For the past few days, File History on my Windows 10 Home (20H2) has stopped working.

In Settings, "Back up options" opens after a noticeable delay and displays the size of my back-up as zero bytes with the message' "Your data is not yet backed up".

On clicking "Back up Now", a "Cancel" button appears after a few seconds with no back up having taken place.

On clicking "Advanced options" and clicking on "Run Now", an error message gets displayed, "We can't copy files to your File History Drive; Failed to initiate user data back-up (Error 80070005)".

I had even contacted MS Support (tier 1) and gone through a remote PC access session but the problem persists.

I'd be grateful to receive advice.

AKS

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Just commenting here to say I have experienced the exact same issue you have described. Last backup was Feb 10, 2021. The past few days I have been unable to backup my pc and the same thing happens where I press "backup now" and nothing happens... I know my windows updated recently. Maybe they will fix it in another update?

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Just commenting here to say I have experienced the exact same issue you have described. Last backup was Feb 10, 2021. The past few days I have been unable to backup my pc and the same thing happens where I press "backup now" and nothing happens... I know my windows updated recently. Maybe they will fix it in another update?

Hi,

I still get the “Your back up is 0 bytes” error with File History. But, following a notification to back up my files, I got to the Control Panel for backup for Windows 7. There choosing the button for setting up backup enabled me to save a new system image and backup files.

But, I do think there is a need to fix the File History issue.

AKS

AKS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem. I am 99 percent sure it is due to the newly installed KB4601319. When I roll back KB4601319 the problem disappears and when I apply it again the problem reappears.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem as experienced above !! And I have all updates installed!

Please MS: HELP!!!!!!!

In addition to the above, File History has done a switch from an old version of the config file with data (from previous PC) to a newer version of the config file (pointing to my newer PC) which references a data file that has a gap between January 31 2021 and now. File History is now a mess and I cannot count on all updated files between january 31 and today to be there!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same problem. I am 99 percent sure it is due to the newly installed KB4601319. When I roll back KB4601319 the problem disappears and when I apply it again the problem reappears.

I think we may have to wait for the next update for a resolution.

AKS

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have pinned down the problem to one specific module: c:\windows\system32\fhcfg.dll. If I replace that dll with the one from before KB4601319 I am able to run File History again.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have pinned down the problem to one specific module: c:\windows\system32\fhcfg.dll. If I replace that dll with the one from before KB4601319 I am able to run File History again.

Hi,

If I try to use "restore previous version", I get, "There are no previous versions available".

So, I hope Microsoft can see this and can issue an update to rectify the problem.

AKS

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sure, let's hope it will be fixed soon :-)

If you need the old version of fhcfg.dll, you can download it from my website, using https://bhpark.dk/fhcfg.dll.

You might see a warning from your browser, but the file is absolutely virus free :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So no file back-ups without going through hoops till it's fixed? I hope it's soon, I am one who does a back-up every week and I don't like not having one.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing exactly the same problem since February 10, 2021. I tried a complete reset of File History: deleted configuration files, the backup folder itself and changed the destination to another external drive, and the problem still persists. Rolling back KB4601319 corrected the issue.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2021 Views 1,532 Applies to: