Failure to install KB4015438

Files (log and system information)

Previously, the problem was with KB 4013429, but after some days and Four Hours wasted, finally it is replaced by KB4015438.

HOWEVER, the new one begins to fail again!

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2018 Views 12,554 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi You aren't going to like my suggestion. When you get tired of all these update failures, give some thought to a clean install. IMHO there are two reasons MS updates fail. Software or Hardware!

Here's a great thread by my friend @Greg Carmack. Let me know how things go for you!

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-performance/windows-10-performance-and-install-integrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00

Here's a quote from the above link. I agree 100% with Greg. You don't have to like it, but it is the truth!

You can fight  the updates and hopefully find a fix or you can do a clean install.

What we're seeing especially in Windows 10 is that "the install is everything" so if you want to invest in the very best install of all do the vastly superior Clean Install Windows 10 which has no issues reported at all while we have Upgrade and Factory install problems reported here every few minutes.  You will get and keep the best possible install to the exact extent you stick with the steps, tools and methods in the link. 

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Files (log and system information)

Previously, the problem was with KB 4013429, but after some days and Four Hours wasted, finally it is replaced by KB4015438.

HOWEVER, the new one begins to fail again!

Hello. A Clean Install is a good idea but I suggest that you put that on hold at the moment.

It would help if you tell us Product you have (eg Windows 10 Home ), the version and the build (e.g. 1607, 14393.693). This does sometime affect the matter. [If you don't know, you find this info via Settings > System > About (at the bottom of that menu.]

My KB4013419 failed to install on the 15th but then installed later that day:

The first sign of the first failure was that my build didn't change - it stayed at 14393.693 - so I created > this thread < and another friendly knowledgeable expert, Gerry Cornell, showed me how to resolve the problem.

I'm not suggesting this will resolve your problem, at this stage, but it's an interesting read, with the link to Reset Windows Update.

I haven't got KB4015438 but >according to this < perhaps that means I didn't need it.

Do let us know the Product/Version/Build info. Hoping this helps.

Well done MS Programming Team for problem-free/so far/ PatchTuesday WU . 1909 18363.592 Member since 1990 (Windows 3 was my 1st PC) but I had to change Profile name in 2014 due to a system problem.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Thanks for joining this thread. IMHO Team work is good. Welcome aboard. I will watch and hopefully learn some thing new that I can pass forward. I agree a clean install is pretty drastic but IMHO it gets the job done.

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have had this issue today. Its been sitting at about 4/5ths installed for the last 2 hours. The shiny bit is still moving across the installation progress bar, so its still awake.

I'm upgrading from V1607, Build 14393.10

Do I need to install a previous version first possible?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too have had this issue today. Its been sitting at about 4/5ths installed for the last 2 hours. The shiny bit is still moving across the installation progress bar, so its still awake.

I'm upgrading from V1607, Build 14393.10

Do I need to install a previous version first possible?

Hi I would give it a little more time. The last Patch took nearly 3 hours for me. It can take longer for some users. It's APITA, but what can we do. When you get tired of the BS from MS, think about a clean install! I know it shouldn't have to be this way; but do you have a better solution? Just remember MS gave W10 to us free. Some times you're the windshield. Some times you're the bug. That's life

Good luck with the updates!

You can try manually updating. Works for some users!

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-download-and-install-windows-10-cumulative-updates-manually

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here.  This is now the THIRD time I have had to do a Windows 10 restore to get my HP Pavillion Elite running!  I am getting really tired of this Microsoft!!  Get your act together, or we will start charging you time for all of our lost productivity, and damage to family relationships due many, many hours spent trying to fix our computers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Garybear. Going to give it another try today. For some stupid reason I'm trying it on my main support PC and not a test PC, but I suppose I CBF PXE booting another PC up and testing it. We need to roll it out to about 150 PC's in our environment, so may as well break one that's used every day.

I'll be at another site for about 5 hoursm so hopefully it works in the meantime.

Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi You aren't going to like my suggestion. When you get tired of all these update failures, give some thought to a clean install. IMHO there are two reasons MS updates fail. Software or Hardware!

OK, well then you're not going to like my dissension, but I've got a clean install on a Surface Pro 4.  So the software and hardware is all Microsoft.  I've got the exact same issue with the update failing.  So while your suggestion is appreciated, it's completely inappropriate.  I don't believe in nuke & pave as a solution for every time there's a stumble in an update or for very many other reasons, quite frankly.

488 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, well then you're not going to like my dissension, but I've got a clean install on a Surface Pro 4.  So the software and hardware is all Microsoft.  I've got the exact same issue with the update failing.  So while your suggestion is appreciated, it's completely inappropriate.  I don't believe in nuke & pave as a solution for every time there's a stumble in an update or for very many other reasons, quite frankly.

Hi! May I ask how W10 was installed on your Surface Pro4??Did it come with W10? I  have no clue what you mean "So the software and hardware is all Microsoft" How do you know you have the same exact issue with the update failing. How many updates have failed? How many times have you nuked & paved as a solution. I suggest what I believe can solve a issue with Windows updates. A clean install has worked for hundreds. Maybe thousands. I hope you find the magic bullet for your update problems. Please post back with the solution you find, so it can help others!

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.