Failed 1803 update / No keyboard

After the update my laptop keyboard was not working. Was unable to update the bad driver in device manager getting errors about incompatibility and bad registry entries. Searched and tried a myriad of fixes to no avail. I had to recover to the previous build 1709. Now I see it's downloading the update again. I know I can't stop updates but for a limited amount of time but I'm worried now that it will permanently mess up my laptop. I'm lucky to have had an external keyboard otherwise I could not have even signed on the windows.

Not sure how to proceed. 

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 603 Applies to:
I am a fellow community member here to help

In order to rid yourself of these issues and return to your previous stable build it is recommended that you RollBack to your previous version of Windows. To do this please follow these steps

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery > under Go back to my previous version of Windows 10, click Get started.

or

Press Control + Alt + Delete
Click Sign out

At the Sign In screen, hold down the shift key on your keyboard while clicking the Power button on the screen
Continue to hold down the shift key while clicking Restart
Continue to hold down the shift key until the Advanced Recovery Options menu appears

Click Troubleshoot

Click Advanced options

Click Go back to the previous version of Windows

This information was obtained from the following official Microsoft Help document
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/...

And from the following thread

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

NOTE: when using recovery options be sure to watch for and select options to "keep your personal files and folders" that way you will preserve your important data

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well, thanks for the reply but as I mentioned I did go back to 1709 and everything is fine as I am using my laoptop keyboard to respond. 

How do I stop this 1803 from installing EVER.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I understand. To block it please use this guide
https://www.groovypost.com/howto/block-windows-...

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I appreciate your response. I did the metered connection but the update came back for a 3rd time today. Coincidentally, I was still searching the internet and went to the Asus community site I have used before and found a solution that worked in restoring the use of my keyboard.

I'll paste it here if it can help someone with the same issue.

Thanks again.

"Hi there!
Had the same issue. Go to device manager and right click on keyboard, press "update driver". Choose search drivers on this pc and then press choose from already installed drivers. There must be HID Keyboard Device, choose it instead of ASUS NUMPAD"

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. I am happy to hear that you found a solution. Thanks for sharing it with the community. Have a great day

Sorry this didn't help.