Windows 10 setup error code 0x80072f76 - 0x20016

Dear support team,

I'm not able to run the window 10 setup tool, the above error code 0x80072f76 - 0x20016 keeps on happen which stop the setup. Please help to advise what steps need to be taken to solve this error code. 

Appreciate your immediate support.

Thank you.

Regards,

Donny

*Modified title for accuracy*

*Original title: Facing error code 0x80072f76 - 0x20016 when trying to fresh back window 10.*

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 41,218 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Donny,

Based on the error message that you encountered during setup, there is a possibility that the media installation tool is either corrupted or there are settings in your operating system that stops the upgrade/installation. For us to better assist you, we would like to ask for additional information. Please answer the following:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10 device?
  • Can you tell us what you meant when you mentioned that you are trying to "fresh back" Windows 10?
  • Did you create an installation media using the ISO file from our website?

We hope to hear from you soon.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Donny,

Based on the error message that you encountered during setup, there is a possibility that the media installation tool is either corrupted or there are settings in your operating system that stops the upgrade/installation. For us to better assist you, we would like to ask for additional information. Please answer the following:

• What is the current build and version of your Windows 10 device?
  • Can you tell us what you meant when you mentioned that you are trying to "fresh back" Windows 10?
  • Did you create an installation media using the ISO file from our website?

We hope to hear from you soon.

Hello Jennifer, 

Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I will list down as below.

1. 10.0.16299 build 16299

2. I want to reformat my device. This device keeps blue screen after updated to window 10.

3. No, I download the setup file from the website and launch it only. 

Hope this answered your question and hope to get the solution soon.

Thank you.

Regards,

Donny

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It looks like you are using a Windows Insider build. Since you've mentioned that you'd like to reformat your PC using the setup tool from the website, we would recommend following the steps in this forum article instead: Clean Install Windows 10. Otherwise, we would like to ask the website where you downloaded the setup file so we can further investigate from our end.

We will wait for your response.

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'll reply because I'm having the same issue.  I got to this page:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

I got there from the menu within my settings/recovery/more recovery options tab because it's not super easy right now for me to get my hands on a USB or disk to do my PC over again, and was hoping that the tool provided there would allow me to do a clean install since I can't even install drivers on my PC at the moment.

I'm having all kinds of problems with my windows 10 and I cannot for the life of me find a solution.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

For others with similar problem to me.
With creators update the "refresh" tool doesn't work, instead go to:

Windows Defender Security Center -> Device Performance & Health -> Additional info -> Get Started

to start a refresh.

Cheers

Alex

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

can you help me with this ? 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

I'm in a similar situation while trying to update to Windows 10 Fall Creators (1709) I've encounter the same errors over and over: 0x800704c1(c7) as well as 0x80072F76-0x20016. 

Meanwhile, below please find my PC's specifications which currently runs Windows 10 version 1703:

Thanks in advance...

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Jennifer,

I also tried to do a clean install following your advice but unfortunately this process was not able to complete on my PC.

I got stuck in the same vicious cycle while trying to solve the issues with this upgrade.

Any other options?...

Thanks,

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marusik,

There's a possibility that one or some of your existing software installed or hardware device components are preventing from the update to push through due to compatibility issue. We have a few recommendations for you to try out to successfully update Windows 10:

• Make sure that your device has enough space. Your device requires at least 16 GB of free space to upgrade a 32-bit OS, or 20 GB for a 64-bit OS. For more info, see Free up drive space in Windows 10.
  • Unplug extra hardware. Remove all external storage devices and drives, docks, and other hardware you might have plugged into your device that isn’t needed for basic functionality.
  • Remove third-party security software. Make sure you know how to reinstall your programs and that any necessary product keys are on hand. Windows Defender will help protect your device in the meantime. 
  • Do a clean restart into Windows. Refer to this support article on: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

We also recommend that you download the latest updates with the help of the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool. This checks for compatibility of the hardware components and software installed to your PC. To run the tool, follow the instructions on the Windows 10 software download website and click "Update Now" to install the latest version of Windows 10.

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Marusik,

There's a possibility that one or some of your existing software installed or hardware device components are preventing from the update to push through due to compatibility issue. We have a few recommendations for you to try out to successfully update Windows 10:

• Make sure that your device has enough space. Your device requires at least 16 GB of free space to upgrade a 32-bit OS, or 20 GB for a 64-bit OS. For more info, see Free up drive space in Windows 10.
  • Unplug extra hardware. Remove all external storage devices and drives, docks, and other hardware you might have plugged into your device that isn’t needed for basic functionality.
  • Remove third-party security software. Make sure you know how to reinstall your programs and that any necessary product keys are on hand. Windows Defender will help protect your device in the meantime. 
  • Do a clean restart into Windows. Refer to this support article on: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

We also recommend that you download the latest updates with the help of the Windows 10 Update Assistant tool. This checks for compatibility of the hardware components and software installed to your PC. To run the tool, follow the instructions on the Windows 10 software download website and click "Update Now" to install the latest version of Windows 10.

Give us an update on the result and we will be glad to assist you further.

I have tried EVERYTHING above. Spent nearly 40+ hours on this. Windows 10 is already installed. Windows continues to tell me it MUST do an update, but fails. I tried to do a fresh install and received the above errors. 

Do you have an installer that will bypass the requirements? I know this computer meets the requirements, but the installer gets to 55-75% and fails. This means something to you. I have worked in software development as a project manager for my entire career. I will sign a waiver. Please send me something that will reset this computer without further time spent on this. 

How can a working computer be crippled by your update and you are not able to do anything but point is all to the same help files we've stated we've looked at? I have a license to use this software. May I please use a modified installer to bypass the system requirements, or someone tell me what's happening at 55%

Sincerest gratitude, 

Julie Bowers 

Sorry this didn't help.