Error Code 0x8024a105 Windows 10 automatic update

Receiving error code 0x8024a105 when attempting update of Windows 10 using automatic update. This update has failed every day for the last two weeks. Tried shutting off anti virus and firewall, but has no effect. Restarted the computer several times and still no success. Not a tech expert so don't want to work in the registry - any other ideas?

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2018 Views 83,321 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused to you and will help you in solving the issue.

I suggest you to perform the methods provided below and check if it helps.

Method 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.

1. Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
  2. Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
  3. Select “Windows Update” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

If the issue still persists,

Method 2: Manually reset the Windows Updates Components and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6. After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

If you are trying to install the November update, I suggest you to go to the Microsoft software download website and select Upgrade now to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 Version 1511 and check if the issue persists.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows and we’ll be glad to assist you.

123 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Tried all of the above exactly as directed without success. Now receiving error code 0x80096004 using Windows Update. Was unable to download update directly from Windows. Could not find "Upgrade now to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 version 1511." When attempting to use the troubleshooter now, it will not run and gives message "an error is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." I then click on view error details and it gives error code 0x80070057. Any additional thoughts?

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

We appreciate the time and patience you have put in to resolve the issue. I would like to assist you with further information from here.

Please be informed that you can also deploy the Media Creation tool and perform the update. Follow the below steps.

1. Download the media creation tool from Microsoft: microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2. Navigate to where you downloaded MediaCreationTool.exe and double-click it.
  3. Once the installer has set up, you will be asked to either Upgrade this PC now or Create installation media for another PC. The default option is already upgrade so just hit Next. The app will download some files, process, check for updates and then check your PC. This process could take some time depending on your connection.
  4. In the next page, choose Accept for the license terms.
  5. Subsequent actions makes sure it is up to date so it will check again for the latest Operating System updates on Microsoft's servers.
  6. Further on, the installer is going to Keep personal files and apps and install Windows 10.

Note: To be clear, this is just updating your computer. Nothing is erased, and it looks exactly the same. Nothing is moved, your Start menu remains, etc. From this point on, the app will just install the files, and you will have to reboot your PC. The computer will go through the setup (black screen) and the 'out of the box' experience with those nice fade in screens with various colors.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further assistance, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been trying the above stem in Sayan post of November 27. My Windows 10 Setup seem to be stuch at getting Updates ... Checking for Updates at 11%, there seem to be no download going on and this program is running, but no progress for 2 hours. Hope MS can help with this November Update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the clear directions, but when attempting to install the tool, it went through the download process, but at the end, it says "There was a problem running this tool" and gave error code 0x8007005-0x90002. Any additional steps I can take? I currently have 15 updates waiting in cue in Windows update.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave,

Thank you for writing to us again with the updated status of the issue.

Once again, we appreciate your patience on this issue.

Before proceeding any further, refer to the below Microsoft help Article and check if it helps.

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

Refer to the section 0x8007005

At this point, I would suggest you to use the following steps to reset the Media Creation tool and check with the results.

• Right click Start Button, open Control Panel, choose Icon View, File Explorer Options, View, Check the box to Show Hidden Files, Apply.
  • Open C Drive in Explorer, right click  to Delete  the folders  $windows.~WS and $windows.~BT.
  • Type Disk Cleanup in Start Search box, run Disk Cleanup.
  • Reinstall Media Creation Tool and run it again. 

Hope it helps this time.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

All of these fixes failed and was forced to re-install Windows 10 at the insistence of the techs at the Windows store in Atlanta. This brute force solution solved the problem, but it forced me to reinstall all of my software. Thankfully, all my data files remained intact and were able to be accessed without issue after reinstalling the software, but the process of reinstalling all my software was both a blessing and a curse. The blessing was that it forced me to update all software to the latest version and most of the programs work better and faster in Windows 10. The curse was the time it took to do all of the work - over 3 days worth - and the frustration at tricking some of the software to download with Windows 7 drivers. Windows 10 update automatically upgraded all necessary software and drivers later. Everything works as it should with the exception of Outlook 2010 which I am still working on. Hope to have that resolved this week. The end result was a LOT of work to make this upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but I feel it was worth the effort.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Dave,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you but at the same time we appreciate the time and effort you have put in towards resolving the issue.

Do let us know if you experience any further issues, we would want to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.

I still not resolved the issue wood reinstall solve the issue 

Hope to hear from you soon

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello David,

Thank you for writing to us in Microsoft Community.

To be able to assist you better, provide us a few more details on the exact issue you are facing in Windows.

Thank You.

Sorry this didn't help.