Question

Q: Error code 0x80070005

I am trying to revert my Windows 10 Pro system to an earlier state using Windows Restore, however it is failing with the following error

System Restore did not complete successfully

System Restore Failed while restoring the directory from the restore point

Source: AppxStaging

Destination: %ProgramFiles%\WindowsApps

An unspecified error occurred during system restore (0x80070005)

How do I rectify this?

thanks

Craig

Original Title: System Restore fails - Windows 10 Pro 

Hi Craig,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.
We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Error code 0x80070005 is also known as "ACCESS DENIED." It usually occurs when you lack file or registry permissions that are required to perform the executed action. File or registry permissions may be changed by malware.

You may follow the steps provided below and check if it helps to resolve the issue

Method 1: Run Microsoft Safety Scanner SFC /SCANNOW to scan the system integration and fix any corruption.

The sfc /scannow (System File Checker) command scans all protected system files, and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833/en-us

Proceed with the next method if the issue persists.

Method 2: Check the Volume shadow copy service in services window.

Automatic is loaded/started during boot-up. Anything set to Manual is started/loaded upon request from the program requiring that particular service.

Volume Shadow Copy service is responsible for backup. By default, both the services will be set to Manual.

Follow these steps:

Step 1: Open new Start window and type services.msc in the search box.
Step 2: Search for the Volume shadow copy service

Make sure the start- up type is automatic

Steps to set the services to automatic:

Step 1: Search for the service.
Step 2: Right click on the service.
Step 3: If the service is stopped then start the service.
Step 4: Select Properties and in the Start-up type select Automatic.

Method 3:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to start the computer in clean boot and check.

Step 1: As you have already try to perform system restore in safe mode. I suggest you to perform

Clean boot and then try to perform system restore.

Please refer to the link to start the computer in clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer the section “How to reset the computer to start as usual after Troubleshooting in clean boot” of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue

Hope this helps!

Get back to us if you have queries regarding Windows, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you,
Microsoft Community.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

21 people were helped by this reply

I solved this by that scheme: entered Safe Mode, searched for Recovery (via Windows Search), opened Recovery -> Advanced startup -> reboot now, chose Restore from a system restore point. This scheme excludes any impact of antiviruses and many other programs

Sorry this didn't help.

8 people were helped by this reply

This sounds like it may work for someone that can boot into their desktop. I can't and I am using a USB to boot into recovery. Additionally, sfc won't work and gives an error message.  I also get error codes 0xc000021a and 0xc0000001a at startup saying I can't boot. I can't get to safe mode, only one of the two error messages. Ran bootrec /scanos, and bootrec claims that I have 0 Windows installions on the machine. What now?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anthony,

Refer to the suggestion by Vijay B replied on January 12, 2014 from the link below and check if it helps (the steps holds good for Windows 10 OS as well):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/total-identified-windows-installations-0/52359f87-de4a-41dc-b0c3-cc275e1d9fbf

Write to us with the status of the above issue experienced on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Likhitha V

I'm sorry but I'm way a head of you on that try. I found it three days ago. Nothing in that entire thread has worked. All I get is a BSOD. Given the information I have found throughout the MS community and other threads online, something in a update sometime after July 12th broke my startup. Seems to have been happening since the roll out of 10. It makes my upset that I can't control the update process anymore and then it causes an unbootable machine that only gives me the BSOD on start up. I'm glad I can use a portable Linux OS to do some recovery cause it seems that will have to wipe the machine. Thanks MS for all the wonderful improvement that have come since XP.

Anthony A55

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, it's an old post, but here is a proposal, that may help others reading this thread. Renaming folder WindowsApps reboot the system and try a system restore could cure the issue).

I've described an alternative solution here Windows 10 Version 1607: System restore error 0x80070091 [Fix] that describes the steps. Perhaps it helps.

Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog /(Ger) - and - http://borncity.com/win/ (EN)

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

FYI:  I had this error code occur when attempting to rename folders that were covered by Google Backup and Sync. Although uninstalling the sync program might have addressed the problem, the easiest way to correct the issue was to change the folder name in Google Drive and let the sync app rename the folder. 

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI:  I had this error code occur when attempting to rename folders that were covered by Google Backup and Sync. Although uninstalling the sync program might have addressed the problem, the easiest way to correct the issue was to change the folder name in Google Drive and let the sync app rename the folder. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 15,752 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: