error code 0x80070002 - net helpMSG 2182

Hi my laptop has Windows 10 home version 1703 OS build 15063.540.

The problem • 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788) - Error 0x80070002.

Failed to install on 16/09/2017.

Q. Is this the correct update for the build or should be • 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674). would this be the reason the Edge Browser will not launch.

jc

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi JC,

The KB4038788 is supposed to change your OS build to 15063.608. The error 0x80070002 normally happens when some files in the Windows Update are missing even though it was downloaded successfully. Let's work around with this, use the Windows Update troubleshooter to diagnose the issue. If the issue persists, run these commands then start the update.

1. Press Windows key + S and type Command Prompt then run it as administrator.  

2. Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and press Enter.  

3. Once it's done, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.  

4. Restart your computer.

Let us know how it goes.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

HI John Ado

Have done all you suggested and more.

1. Windows Update Troubleshooter, had tried this before the following the faults were fixed (a) Service register is missing or corrupt. (b) Potential Windows Update database error detected. (c) Windows update components must be repaired. (d) check for pending updates. All were reported as fixed. After receiving you e-mail, ran the troubleshooter again errors     b, c & d, were identified and fixed.  Same error code 0x80070002 (RETRY).
  2. Windows KEY + S type command prompt this gave C:\Users\Admin>. Not in as administrator. So, I used Windows KEY + X this gave me dropdown list selected TASK MANAGER, in task manager selected FILE top left, Dropdown, in the open text box type cmd the check box below left click to “create task with administrative privileges”, click OK, I then had C:\WINDOWS\system32>  
  3. I typed DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth Press enter. the result said ”Restore Operation Completed successfully”.
  4. Typed sfc /scannow Press enter Result” Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation”.
  5. Restarted Computer.  Same error code 0x80070002 (RETRY). I went through the whole procedure (A+1-4) several times. The results were the same. I then uninstalled the IBM Trusteer Endpoint App again, this had resolved the problem with the Edge Brouwer. Still the same error code with the update KB4038788.

Thank you for your assistance.

JC

Sorry this didn't help.

[Your two (2) threads have been merged.]

Answer-by-number:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

6. Is Adobe Flash Player version 27.0.0.130 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (preferably) OR EDGE (assuming Flash content has been enabled) ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer to questions 1 -6.

1)       08 Nov 2015.

2)      Purchased with Win 10 preinstalled. Back up indicates that Win 7 was the original install.

3)      Acer.

4)      No.

5)      No.

6)      Internet explorer has version 27.0.0.130. Edge flash player currently disabled. Used this link to check Edge.  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-plyoer.html

Sorry this didn't help.

Chances are (99.99%) your Acer computer came with a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial preinstalled. Doesn't matter if you never used it.

Fact: Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

Cross your fingers for luck & see if running the following multi-step fix resolves the problem.

ACTIONS:

[You may want to print these instructions for offline reference. DON'T SKIP ANY STEP! If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1a. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

1b. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3a. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1a above and select Run as Administrator to run the Norton utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

3b. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1b above and select Run as Administrator to run the McAfee utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

4. Reset Windows Update [1] using the BAT file in this tutorial => https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/24742-reset-windows-update-windows-10-a.html

5. Reboot & test by running a manual check for updates & see if any/all updates offered (e.g., KB4038788) will successfully install now. Follow all prompts.

• HOW TO Run a manual check for updates in Win10
     http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4807-windows-update-check-install-windows-10-a.html

6. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

==================================================
[1] Full Disclosure: Resetting Windows Update will delete your current Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Robert

In the end this worked for me, had a number of attempts one problem was shutting down the auto updates from the Bat file. in the end put the internet connection to metered ran the internal troubleshooter again this identified and fixed 5 faults the 4 above and "Security Setting Missing or changed". Run through all the steps above again. KB4038788 Successfully downloaded and installed.  Last job was to delete the three desktop files.Thank you very much for the Help .

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You're currently running [Windows 10 Version 1703] OS Build 15063.608, is that correct?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Yes,

again thanks for your help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Robert,

I have been having this problem (2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788) - Error 0x80070002)

for a few months now, too.

I am currently running Windows 10 Version 1703] OS Build 15063.540. 

Answering your questions above:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

April 2013

2. Did the computer come with Win10 preinstalled, did you do a clean install of Win10, or did you upgrade a Win7 computer or a Win8.1 computer [<=PICK ONE!] to Win10?

Upgrade probably from Win7 over Win8.1 to Win10

3. Who manufactured the computer (e.g., Dell; HP; Acer; Lenovo; ASUS)?

Dell Inspiron 5521

4. Has a Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

Yes

5. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool?

Following your procedure of September 20, I ran both and was amazed about the number of program modules that were removed.

6. Is Adobe Flash Player version 27.0.0.130 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER (preferably) OR EDGE (assuming Flash content has been enabled) ONLY!=> http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

No

I ran all the steps you suggested on September 20 to JohnCoit and the problem still persists.

What do you recommend me to do?

Thanks and best regards

Kuhlgeist

Sorry this didn't help.

I just found out, that Dell did not prepare Inspiron 5521 to be upgradable to Win10 Creators.

The big question: is this a barrier that cannot be crossed?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2020 Views 3,413 Applies to: