error 0xc1900101-0x4000D second boot phase migrate-data

Split from this thread.

Having similar issue with my Gateway DX 4860, the 1709 update automatically ran on the machine and failed  twice. Got on chat with a microsoft agent, told the agent that I found the model was not on gateways win 10 1709 update compatibility list. They ran the microsoft compatibility check app any way and said it was compatible. They remoted on to my machine did some cleanup and started the update and disconnected. The update ran with the same results, Black screen with no HD activity at about 45%. Had to unplug to restart, completed to 81%, screen froze and again no hd activity. Restart reverted to the previous win 10 install" error 0xc1900101-0x4000D second boot phase migrate-data". Agent said they would send email so we could resume if installation fail. Well no email and still stuck with the threat of installing the failed update. Microsoft's answer is for me to buy a compatible machine. None of the new apps in the 1709  upgrade are useful to me. I would like the choice to decline the 1709 update and be able to choose to accept or decline future updates. Win 7 revert would be preferable.

Hi Mike,

The error message that you’ve encountered is usually related to an issue that has occurred when trying to install an update using a bootable media. Regarding this concern, we suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps provided on this article that’s created by Andre Da Costa. To get directly through the steps, you may press CTRL + F and type in the error code 0xC1900101-0x4000D in the search box, then follow the instructions there.

We’re just here if you need further help.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Check the back of your PC and see if you have a wireless network card installed.  I did battle with a friends Gateway DX 4860 for months getting updates to take and did not realize the card was even there.  The antenna was gone.  It has always had update issues.  But this time 1709 update refused to go at all.  It would freeze a 75%, force reboot, and then freeze again a 81%.  Removed the card.  Magic!   Now running the latest and greatest Windows 10 update! 

52 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Louie, 

I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. I searched the article by Andre De Costa you recommended and did not find the error code in the article. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello

The error code 0xC1900101 -0x4000D is not referenced in the article you posted

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried installing 1709, it failed a dozen times with second boot migrate error.

My solution was very easy (once I found it),

In the oddly named $Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log it told me the error was attempting to move a folder (in my case mbar), that failed.

Checked this folder and it was locked.

I unlocked it and voila.

1709 then installed., faultlessly.

Hope this helps someone.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

often a  non-microsoft anti-virus program.

Code
0xC1900101 - 0x4000D

Cause
A rollback occurred due to a driver configuration issue.
Installation failed during the second boot phase while attempting the MIGRATE_DATA operation.

This can occur due to incompatible drivers.
Mitigation

Check supplemental rollback logs for a setupmem.dmp file, or event logs for any unexpected reboots or errors.
Review the rollback log and determine the stop code.
The rollback log is located in the C:$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther folder. An example analysis is shown below. This example is not representative of all cases:
Info SP Crash 0x0000007E detected
Info SP Module name :
Info SP Bugcheck parameter 1 : 0xFFFFFFFFC0000005
Info SP Bugcheck parameter 2 : 0xFFFFF8015BC0036A
Info SP Bugcheck parameter 3 : 0xFFFFD000E5D23728
Info SP Bugcheck parameter 4 : 0xFFFFD000E5D22F40
Info SP Cannot recover the system.
Info SP Rollback: Showing splash window with restoring text: Restoring your previous version of Windows.
Typically, there is a dump file for the crash to analyze. If you are not equipped to debug the dump, then attempt the following basic troubleshooting procedures:
1. Make sure you have enough disk space.
2. If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
3. Try changing video adapters.
4. Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
5. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Grandpa's post was my exact situation.  Pulled the wireless card and installed from Media Creation Tool on USB.  Spent way too many hours prior to this with other solutions.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Shalala71,

I would like to confirm if you're still experiencing the error code 0xc1900101-0x4000D on your Windows device. If you are, can you tell me the troubleshooting steps you've tried so far aside from installing the network adapter driver using the Media Creation Tool? Also, can you tell me the current OS Build of your Windows 10 system? You can find this information by clicking the Start button, type About your PC, press Enter, and then scroll down to Windows specifications.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Check the back of your PC and see if you have a wireless network card installed.  I did battle with a friends Gateway DX 4860 for months getting updates to take and did not realize the card was even there.  The antenna was gone.  It has always had update issues.  But this time 1709 update refused to go at all.  It would freeze a 75%, force reboot, and then freeze again a 81%.  Removed the card.  Magic!   Now running the latest and greatest Windows 10 update! 

After 7 days of sweating trying everything to update to the Spring 1803 version, was just about to do a clean install and thought I would try this one last suggestion.

Eureka - Update went like a dream, thank you for posting this, saved me many hours of reloading. Cant believe it went so smoothly in the end.

I had already  disabled the card, but that hadn't worked and the card had to be removed physically. Phew, well happy bunny here.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an Asus Essentio Series, so it looks like I am out of luck. I never had any good experience with Microsoft Support.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 1, 2020 Views 49,243 Applies to: