Error 0x8007000d installing windows updates

2020-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems (KB4592438)

It fails every single time. I've gone through several potential fixes with no luck. Error code: (0x8007000d)

Original Title : Latest Windows Cumulative Update Errors

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues installing Windows updates on your PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.  

• Are you able to install other windows updates or do you have issues only with installing KB4592438?

• What is the make and model of the PC?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1:  Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if you are able to install Widows updates.

Method 2: Clean boot

Try booting your PC in clean boot and attempt to install Windows updates. Refer to the article on How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note:  Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Also, you may not be able to use some programs in clean boot. 

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 3: If the update has failed to installed, you may download and install the update manually by accessing the Microsoft Update Catalog and typing in the KB article number of the failed update.

Method 4: Reset Windows update components in Windows

I suggest you Reset Windows update components in Windows  and check if you are able to install Widows updates.

Method 5: Fix Windows Update errors

I suggest you refer and follow the suggestion on how to Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

Note: Before performing chkdsk, please backup the Data. While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Note: Please ignore the suggestions for “Perform a clean installation of Windows 10” from the above article.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Zaki

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

• So far it's just this cumulative update. Security definition ones seem to be going through.
  • AMD Ryzen 3600, MSI b450 Tomahawk Max, Nvidia Geforce 2060 Super, Corsair Vengeance 3000 rpm 16, Seasonic 650w Gold+ power supply. This is just from offhand memory, if I need to go into more detail I can.

None of the methods worked, update gets to 100% install then fails. Same with manually downloading and installing it. When using Method 4, the command prompt returns this information before completing:

Could Not Find C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat

Could Not Find C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat

The page on Method 5 is very disjointed with a lot of information duplicated and out of order. Still the methods I tried didn't have any effect.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

CyTraveler

Happy New Year everyone ! Good messages to start the year with !

Thanks to the amazing People at https://www.deskmodder.de ,
i was able to brake the  "Update failure with 0x8007000d" ban....

I will post the link to the relevant page in two forms:

1st the original german link:

https://www.deskmodder.de/wiki/index.php?title=Inplace_Upgrade_Windows_10_schnell_reparieren

and 2nd for your convenience ;-) the same fed through google translator:

https://3atia6tbo7tmogifwscpf3mvli--www-deskmodder-de.translate.goog/wiki/index.php?title=Inplace_Upgrade_Windows_10_schnell_reparieren

What i did was basically an Inplace Upgrade Repair.

-First get again the most recent version of the "Media Creation Tool".
    -Download an installation ISO with it.
    -Rightclick ISO and make it available as virtual disk.

In the procedure make sure you checkmark the options to keep your apps AND your data !!!!!!!

OH WAIT YOU CANT BECAUSE ITS GRAYED OUT ?

Now sure enough my Windows Version was in that unlucky range.............................,
where inplace upgrade got disabled through a versioning mistake by microsoft !!!
(btw a deeper insight might find out that something related to that versioning mistake is the actual reason for the whole mess..just thinkin..)

this is where the deskmodders or even more the Scripters "Enthusiast" and "BAU" come to the rescue !!!!

relevant link here:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&u=https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/2020/10/28/windows-10-20h2-inplace-upgrade-fix-download-solange-ein-inplace-nicht-funktioniert/

i ended up using the commandline batchfile provided by BAU:

https://t1p.de/prtx

- that zip file contains a batch file. just rightclick it and execute it as administrator.
    - once that says:  "Inplace Upgrade will now work" hit any Key and do a reboot after that.
    - Back to the desktop, make that windows iso available again, start the windows installation and...

W O W !!!   VOILA  !!!   keep my apps and files is already checkmarked !!    SCRIPTMAGIC !!

well the rest of the story is short.
The installation takes a  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG TIME
specially if you are on a physical hd still....    i use a SSD but still it took a lot time...
i mention this, because:
if your machine appears to be frozen....
DONT touch it....  watch the hd LED at your case  its workin its chips off...
then after all....  it worked !!!!   i am back to a functioning version 19042.685 !!  all faulty updates gone, regular updates workin  !!

Happy New Year !!!

Cy

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I straight up don't trust the way you type. Sound like a car salesman trying to get me to buy something and all these files to download? No.

This problem is still active, still looking for help.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same issue as you, same CPU and mobo. I'll let you know if I fix it.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been having that issue for more than a week now. It started with one update that wouldn't install no matter what method I've tried and then another update failed to install the same way (KB4598242 and KB4598291 respectively).

It fascinates me how Microsoft fails to deliver updates properly and that we have to debug their own mess in safe mode with commands that sometimes will make things worse than they're already are.

These updates should get in smoothly otherwise they shouldn't get released at all. The methods suggested are simply not working as they don't fix anything. In fact, people have reported Blue Screen and not being able to startup Windows anymore and it ends up with a System Restore... all of this because Microsoft can't update their products adequately even after decades and decades, you would think that in 2021 one doesn't have to boot up in Safe Mode with specific lines and commands to execute in a non-friendly user interface just to see his computer not starting up anymore... especially now with a lot of people working from home, great job Micro$oft, keep it up!

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your feedback! Surprisingly, the problem on my computer is not solved even with DISM and SFC. But, a similar computer is installed next to it, with the same set of programs, and everything works there! Amazing Miсrо soft, you show tricks! :-)
Yours faithfully

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that fixed the '0x8007000d' error for me was upgrading my windows through MediaCreationTool20H2 tool, I have tried everything else I could find online and nothing worked, but after upgrading windows with this tool "Create Windows 10 installation media"

found here: "https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10" my problem went away. Choose the option 'Upgrade this PC now' after opening the app and then the option keep apps and files, that option is default anyway. Here is the link Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com).

edit: Just in case, there are two downloads on the page the first is "Update Now" the second is "Download tool now", use the second one 'download tool now'. Some people have said the upgrade might fail for some if unnecessary USB drives and devices is plugged in while doing the upgrade, I haven't experienced this, but just in case unplug all unnecessary USB devices.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that fixed the '0x8007000d' error for me was upgrading my windows through MediaCreationTool20H2 tool, I have tried everything else I could find online and nothing worked, but after upgrading windows with this tool "Create Windows 10 installation media"

found here: "https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10" my problem went away. Choose the option 'Upgrade this PC now' after opening the app and then the option keep apps and files, that option is default anyway. Here is the link Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com).

edit: Just in case, there are two downloads on the page the first is "Update Now" the second is "Download tool now", use the second one 'download tool now'. Some people have said the upgrade might fail for some if unnecessary USB drives and devices is plugged in while doing the upgrade, I haven't experienced this, but just in case unplug all unnecessary USB devices.

It directed me to wipe my current files and apps and install fresh Windows, I don't want that.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues installing Windows updates on your PC. I appreciate your efforts in trying to resolve the issue.  

• Are you able to install other windows updates or do you have issues only with installing KB4592438?

• What is the make and model of the PC?

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and see if that helps.

Method 1:  Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and check if you are able to install Widows updates.

Method 2: Clean boot

Try booting your PC in clean boot and attempt to install Windows updates. Refer to the article on How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note:  Clean Boot starts Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, so that you can determine whether a background program is interfering with your game or program. Also, you may not be able to use some programs in clean boot. 

Note: Please refer the section Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in to normal mode after troubleshooting.

Method 3: If the update has failed to installed, you may download and install the update manually by accessing the Microsoft Update Catalog and typing in the KB article number of the failed update.

Method 4: Reset Windows update components in Windows

I suggest you Reset Windows update components in Windows  and check if you are able to install Widows updates.

Method 5: Fix Windows Update errors

I suggest you refer and follow the suggestion on how to Troubleshoot problems updating Windows 10

Note: Before performing chkdsk, please backup the Data. While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Note: Please ignore the suggestions for “Perform a clean installation of Windows 10” from the above article.

Hope it helps.

This doesn't work. It's been hours and hours, days even, tried all these and some other ones too, from other forums. Microsoft should fix this with an update.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 19, 2021 Views 20,533 Applies to: