Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 fails - Error 0x80070643

The Definition Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Definition 1.259.1664.0) is failing with Error 0x80070643. Screen shot below.

Definition 1.259.1659.0 also fails with the same error. I am current running on the older definitions, 1.259.1358.0

When I did a search for the forums, there are 1000s of people reporting similar problems. But no applicable answers.

Some other reports of this error blamed 3rd party antivirus tools. But I don't have any 3rd party AV tools installed and never have had.

Some other report say clearing the cache and manual updates are required. As per these instructions

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

But that doesn't work.

Manually running the updates from the command line gave these results.

-=-=-=-=-

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender>MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures

Service Version: 4.12.17007.17123
Engine Version: 1.1.14405.2
AntiSpyware Signature Version: 1.259.1358.0
AntiVirus Signature Version: 1.259.1358.0
NRI Engine Version: 2.1.14202.0
NRI Signature Version: 118.2.0.0

Starting Dynamic Signature removal.
Done!

Service Version: 4.12.17007.17123
Engine Version: 1.1.14405.2
AntiSpyware Signature Version: 1.259.1358.0
AntiVirus Signature Version: 1.259.1358.0
NRI Engine Version: 2.1.14202.0
NRI Signature Version: 118.2.0.0

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender> MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate
Signature update started . . .
ERROR: Signature Update failed with hr=8050A004
CmdTool: Failed with hr = 0x8050A004. Check C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\MpCmdRun.log for more information

-=-=-=-=-

Looking into the MpCmdRun.log log file I found this,

-=-=-=-=-

MpCmdRun: Command Line: MpCmdRun.exe  -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures
 Start Time: ‎Tue ‎Jan ‎16 ‎2018 14:39:46

Start: MpRemoveDefinitions(0)
Finish: MpRemoveDefinitions()
MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Tue ‎Jan ‎16 ‎2018 14:39:46

MpCmdRun: Command Line: MpCmdRun.exe  -SignatureUpdate
 Start Time: ‎Tue ‎Jan ‎16 ‎2018 14:40:02

Start: MpSignatureUpdate()
Update started 
Search Started (Direct HTTP) (Path: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=851034&clcid=0x409&arch=x64&eng=0.0.0.0&asdelta=0.0.0.0&prod=77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24)...
Download Started...
Download Completed 
Installation Started...
Time Info - ‎Tue ‎Jan ‎16 ‎2018 14:40:21 Update failed with hr: 0x8050a004
Installation Completed 
Search Started (Direct HTTP) (Path: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=851036&clcid=0x409&NRI=true&arch=x64&eng=2.1.14202.0&sig=118.2.0.0&prod=77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24)...
Installation Completed 
Update completed with hr: 0x8050a004
ERROR: Signature Update failed with hr=8050A004
MpCmdRun: End Time: ‎Tue ‎Jan ‎16 ‎2018 14:40:22

-=-=-=-=-

So the real error code appears to be 0x8050A004. For Microsoft's Safety Scanner product, this means, "The signatures are not valid or are corrupted". But what is means for Defender isn't documented.

Screen shot is below

Hi,

The error code 0x80070643 can be due to an issue with the Windows Update components of your device. This article will detail the symptoms and available resolution for definition update issues for Windows Defender.

Also, we'd recommend going through the post of PrashantKumar96 on this link.

Note: The post includes a link to a discussion thread that will provide a detailed overview of the issue. In the same thread, you'll also see the post of
PA Bear - MS MVP which will provide a workaround to download the specified update.

Let us know how it goes after you've performed the steps.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regarding the first link you suggested:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/918355/how-to-troubleshoot-definition-update-issues-for-windows-defender

That page Claims to list "All the possible error messages" for Windows defender. But it doesn't mention either 0x80070643 nor 0x8050a004. 

Suggested resolution Method 1, of updating in defender fails. Is says definitions are up to date, but on the other screen is says they are out of date. Then the up to date message flips back to out of date. See screen shot.

Manual install also fails. See my initial post.

The link on the page to "Advanced trouble shooting" is broken. 

And all of method 3 refers to old copies of Windows and not Win10.

The second link you suggested was this one.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating-windows_10/definition-update-for-windows-defender-kb2267602/8500d7fc-fdc8-47bb-a55e-40e92e99df92

That page claims the problem is solved! It isn't unfortunately. A also refers to a different update than I one I am installing.

PA Bear says to do a manual download and update from this page.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions
But that doesn't work. This manual update doesn't run on the command line and has no user interface, and so it produces no feedback at all. (i.e. no success and no failure code). So it is impossible to know if it does anything. Whoever thought a update program that produced no output was a good idea had rocks in their head. In any case I think I already established a manual install doesn't work.

I'm a programmer with 30 years DOS/Windows coding experience. So advanced debugging is no problem. 

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate your response. The first link that we've shared enumerates the standard troubleshooting method for issues with the Windows Defender update. The second link that we've shared, though it refers to a different KB (update), it provides an overview of a known resolution for the error code.

Based on the additional details that you've shared, we'd recommend performing the steps posted on this link to find and fix Windows Update issues.

Note: The link will also include the Windows Update Troubleshooter that can scan your device and fix any related errors.

In addition, we'd recommend resetting/restoring the firewall configuration to default. See picture below for reference.

We look forward to an update on your concern.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ran the Update Trouble Shooter and reset the firewall settings. It claimed to have fixed a number of issues. But the issue with Defender Updates was unchanged.

As additional background information. This machine has been working (and updating) fine for at least 3 years. No change in the network configuration or hardware was made. Other machines on the same network are also fine.

I'd also refer you back to log in my original post. The network seems fine. Updates are being downloaded. The installation fails however.

Download Started...
Download Completed 
Installation Started...
Time Info - ‎Tue ‎Jan ‎16 ‎2018 14:40:21 Update failed with hr: 0x8050a004

In my mind the obvious debugging step is to find out what hr: 0x8050a004 means. Why Microsoft continue to use undocumented numbers as errors and not plain English is beyond me.

-=-=-=-=-

Some screen shots:

The final Trouble Shooter screen.

Current Windows Update Screen:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Problem is solved.

The solution was the same solution that fixes 90% of problem with computers.

I turned it off, then turned it back on.

(Lucky I've got a degree in computer science, might never have worked it out otherwise).

After turning it back on, the Windows update history shows no new updates got installed, but nevertheless, Window's defender immediately reports as being up to date.

So who knows what the real fault was. Maybe Microsoft fixed up the definition update download package around the same time and the package for today 19/Jan/18 didn't have the same fault? Maybe the Troubleshooter did in fact fix something but a reboot was required after the troubleshooter ran? Maybe there was in memory corruption of some internal data structures and a reboot reloaded it all from disk and cleaned it up? Maybe the latest update did in fact get installed and it was just a display problem (i.e. it was never really out of date at all)? I saw other people reporting similar issues when Windows got confused and tried to install the same update twice. Maybe that was the real meaning of the undefined hr: 0x8050a004 code?

So here is what I am seeing now. Everything is up to date.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We're elated to hear that your concern has been resolved. This can be a combination of several factors. We've released an update (Jan 18,2018 08:00 PM UTC) for Windows Defender intended to update the antimalware definitions of the software. It can also be attributed to a factor that the application needs to be refreshed to show the changes.

In the event that you get to experience the same issue with the succeeding updates and the step that you've shared works, we'd recommend sending our team a message via the Feedback Hub application on your device. This will aid the team to look in to the structure of the program to improve its features, functionality, and performance. To do this, you can perform the following:

1. On a Windows 10 device, search for “Feedback Hub” in Cortana search, then launch the app.

2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.

3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.

4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you’re done.

5. Once you’ve completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.

6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.

7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear)

8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.

9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Let us know should you have other concerns that need assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After following through this discussion, what worked for me was to 

1.) Manually install.

1.) a) After manual install, the system updates still showed that I had a problem, just like PassMark.

2.) REBOOT.

3.) Problem solved.

Problem is solved.

The solution was the same solution that fixes 90% of problem with computers.

I turned it off, then turned it back on.

(Lucky I've got a degree in computer science, might never have worked it out otherwise).

After turning it back on, the Windows update history shows no new updates got installed, but nevertheless, Window's defender immediately reports as being up to date.

So who knows what the real fault was. Maybe Microsoft fixed up the definition update download package around the same time and the package for today 19/Jan/18 didn't have the same fault? Maybe the Troubleshooter did in fact fix something but a reboot was required after the troubleshooter ran? Maybe there was in memory corruption of some internal data structures and a reboot reloaded it all from disk and cleaned it up? Maybe the latest update did in fact get installed and it was just a display problem (i.e. it was never really out of date at all)? I saw other people reporting similar issues when Windows got confused and tried to install the same update twice. Maybe that was the real meaning of the undefined hr: 0x8050a004 code?

So here is what I am seeing now. Everything is up to date.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Like the 000's of other people suffering with the same problem of Defender KB failure, I tried every single solution highlighted in the various internet sites (including Microsoft) - none of them worked.   I'm happy to say I have, at last, found the 'fix' - simple beyond belief.     I deactivated Defender & downloaded Norton.  Works like a charm & I'm fully protected again

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 8, 2021 Views 13,749 Applies to: