Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 (Causing HP Printer Spooler to Stop)

The Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 KB4517211 is causing the printer spooler service to stop and the installed printer is no longer recognized.  It is an HP Officejet Pro 8210 printer.  When I go into services.msc I can start the spooler and my printer then reappears but as soon as I try to print the spooler service stops.  If I uninstall update KB4517211, my printer again works. 

Secondary Concern: I have temporarily halted windows updates to avoid KB4517211 from again downloading.  How to I stop this update from installing permanently since I will have to resume updates at some juncture.  

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi! Jay119

Sorry to tell you that you cannot skip the KB4517211 permanently. Please try your best to stop it to install. You can uninstall it again or make a restore point by windows backup in advance. In case it installed again automatically, you can use system restore to back date it . System restore will NOT make change of any user files and safe to use.

Yes, You are right that the recent updates of the 1903 series has a lot problem:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/releas...

https://support.microsoft.com/zh-tw/help/451721...

Microsoft is working hard to making a fix to the known issue and will deploy a new update to overwrite the problem. The release date is not known yet, but it should be soon in a reasonable time.

Anthony

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Anthony for the reply.  

I don't see the issue I am having as a known issue with the recently released KB4517211 update.  Also, to date, I don't see anyone else reporting having the same problem so how will Microsoft address it with a fix if they don't know about it? Does some from Microsoft monitor this forum?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi! Jay119

Yes, I don't think Microsoft watch every details in here.

You can report the problem and suggestion directly to Microsoft by Feedback Hub app:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/402156...

Anthony

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Anthony for furnishing the link to the Microsoft by Feedback Hub app.

Jay

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update from Original Poster:

·   Ran troubleshooter (printerdiagostic10) while update was installed and no issues were found. 

·   Tried to stop the update from downloading using Microsoft utility (wushowhide).  It said the update was being hidden yet it still installed.

·   Chatted online with a representative in Microsoft ADVISORS who referred to me Microsoft ADVOCATE.

·   ADVOCATE performed an In-place Upgrade with Windows 10.  This did not solve the printer spooler issue so I first did a system restore (successful) and then uninstalled KB4517211 (successful).  Printer again is working.  

Obviously, this problem isbeing caused by KB4517211.  Right now, the only thing I can do is pause updates which is not a long-term solution. (Note: My system ---  Windows 10 Home Edition ---  is up-to-date except for KB4517211).  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your information. I just reported your issue to Microsoft.

Anthony

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There will be faster to escalate the priority, if more user reported the same issue,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Anthony for reporting the issue to Microsoft.  The Microsoft Advocate who suggested and performed the In-place Upgrade with Windows 10 was sure this would be the solution.  Unfortunately, it wasn't.  She would not have reported it to her superiors because she ended the online session before my computer did the Upgrade.  In other words, she was unaware of the result. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is an issue, I summarized here:  Windows10 V1903: Update KB4517211 causes printer issues.

I will escalate this thread to Microsoft moderators and ask to forward it to MS developers.

Addendum (Sept. 30, 2019): It worked, Microsoft confirmed the bug - see  Windows 10 V1903 status page - but I don't agree with Microsoft's explanation to blame KB4522016 - see also my blog post Windows: Printer issues after Sept. 2019 Update confirmed

Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog /(Ger) - and - http://borncity.com/win/ (EN)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you GBorn.  I am the one who started the post on this subject on the AskWoody website.  I'm glad it is getting attention.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 27, 2020 Views 3,876 Applies to: