Cumulative Update for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64 based Systems (KB4346783) (OS Build 17134.254)

My laptop worked fine before this update.   After installing this Update nothing works properly anymore. I uninstalled the new update but the problem remains.  I went to Recovery to Reset this PC and click on the Get started button and it goes nowhere.... doesn't work.  I can't use the advanced startup because I don't have the USB drive to start up from and I'm sure it will make things worse anyway.

I also don't want programs/apps I installed to be uninstalled and having to start everything all over again as if I had a new computer... This takes up too much of my time.
I already replaced an old desktop computer with an Apple...….. I guess my laptop is next.  I'm getting so annoyed with all the ridiculous updates that are supposed to have improvements and fixes when in fact they are causing more and more problems. And there is supposed to be another feature update this month!!!   My 2 year old laptop is almost useless now except to give this feedback.

Can't use the search bar... doesn't work

My background picture on the desktop has gone.

All my shortcuts to websites that are not from the Edge browser don't work. i.e. Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Firefox etc.

All the tiles I pinned on my Start Menu are gone and when I do pin some there they don't work.

The Start Menu items on the left side of the screen don't work properly or not at all.

I had stuff pinned to my task bar as well and they're gone.

I'm afraid to look anymore at my laptop to find more things I can't use. 

-Ok, now I've discovered that clicking on Word or Excel doesn't work either.  But if I click on a document that has already been created … I can open that.

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I got around to installing this CU KB4346783 updating my release version of Windows 10 64 bit today. Absolutely no problems downloading or installing. Everything works perfectly as it should.

Build 17134.254 is a good stable build.

Old Mig15 Pilot
Google's 'Grace Hopper' undersea cable just landed in the UK

11 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

You must be one of the lucky ones, my computer is almost brand new and the updates put it into an endless loop of "Update failed etc" and just kept trying to install, fail, install, fail. Had to hard stop use recovery usb and use a saved mirror image.  Stopped automatic updates.

30 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Your post is really disturbing Patrick. We get these reports all the time here in the Insider forums. But to find them with new computers with Release versions of Windows 10 is really bad.

How about posting here your computer stats + the build number you were on before the attempt? Plus any 3rd party AV or any USB or SD type that might have interfered with the update. Just to try to eliminate any problems were you experiencing any problems before KB4346783. Because you type "the updates" … plural …?

Old Mig15 Pilot
Google's 'Grace Hopper' undersea cable just landed in the UK

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

My laptop worked fine before this update.   After installing this Update nothing works properly anymore. I uninstalled the new update but the problem remains.  I went to Recovery to Reset this PC and click on the Get started button and it goes nowhere.... doesn't work.  I can't use the advanced startup because I don't have the USB drive to start up from and I'm sure it will make things worse anyway.

I also don't want programs/apps I installed to be uninstalled and having to start everything all over again as if I had a new computer... This takes up too much of my time.
I already replaced an old desktop computer with an Apple...….. I guess my laptop is next.  I'm getting so annoyed with all the ridiculous updates that are supposed to have improvements and fixes when in fact they are causing more and more problems. And there is supposed to be another feature update this month!!!   My 2 year old laptop is almost useless now except to give this feedback.

All my shortcuts to websites that are not from the Edge browser don't work. i.e. Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Firefox etc.

All the tiles I pinned on my Start Menu are gone and when I do pin some there they don't work.

The Start Menu items on the left side of the screen don't work properly or not at all.

-Ok, now I've discovered that clicking on Word or Excel doesn't work either.  But if I click on a document that has already been created … I can open that.

Really sorry to know that dear friend.......I fail to understand when a lot of users are facing similar issue since last update released for window 10 64bit, then why microsoft is not helping them out. Even I am facing similar issue, can't update my windows 10 (oem)....Though my laptop is working fine without any issue except it has slowed down and lags sometimes since last 2-3 weeks. However, windows virus definitions are updated daily. This means there is something wrong with windows update only. I tried all sort of steps listed on internet and even used windows troubleshooter but of no help. 

Amit

5 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here: "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)".

I've restarted over and over.   Used system restore in regular and safe mode.  Deleted the downloaded files and redownloaded etc. etc.

It went away for awhile, but back again in my task bar. And constant "update and restart" in Windows menu.

24 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I solved it! I've found some posts in the StackOverflow about removing the directory "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" but doesn't work from the Windows 10 itself.

So I created a bootable pen drive with Linux, entered into "C:\Windows" dir and deleted the "SoftwareDistribution".

When I started the Windows 10 again the Windows Update went back to work.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here: "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes. 2018-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4346783)".

I've restarted over and over.   Used system restore in regular and safe mode.  Deleted the downloaded files and redownloaded etc. etc.

It went away for awhile, but back again in my task bar. And constant "update and restart" in Windows menu.

I also have this issue. and I have only had my laptop for at least 4 months. the other updates installed fine but this one just won't install i have had to retry it at least 6 times since 2.34pm yesterday 11/11/2018.

7 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same exact problem, what I found to do is while rebooting the system I press the shift key. And that brought me into the recovery mode and I was able to keep all of my settings but kind of do a mild reset.... that brought back all of my apps and my availability to get into Windows my Internet Explorer my mail icon Etc. I'm only coming across now cumulative update for Windows is failing but other than that pressing shift while I rebooted the system and got me in the factory recovery mode was helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 14, 2021 Views 7,266 Applies to: