Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB3194496) fails after reboot at 99%

The above update always fails on my Surface 3 after it reboots and gets to 99%, I have checked in Event Viewer for the error code which is 0x800f0922

Looking at the comments on this article it looks like it's a widespread problem:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-releases-windows-10-build-14393222-insider-release-preview

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2018 Views 12,351 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I think maybe their geek gurus actually work for Apple and their intentionally driving us to Apple products. Well ,I'm about ready to switch over. 

Having had plenty of bad experiences with upgrades and updates involving hundreds of Apple computers and software, you should know that I am smiling right now.  I have had hardware rendered non-working by some Apple updates over the years, and now my entire Mac system is obsoleted by the new Mac OS Sierra even though the hardware still is capable of running it.  Had lots of even more serious ups and downs with Linux over the years, and FreeBSD and NetBSD, too.

Moral of the story:  The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Yeah, it looks like I mixed your post up with someone else's because of the contents of the two layers of quoted material.  But, I am glad that your system now has the update installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have got the same problem as most here; the latest update attempts to install on boot, fails then announces "couldn't complete updates ..." and rolls back the effort. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this post without success.

What bugs me is that Microsoft was aware of the issues prior to the release of this update from the reports obtained through the "Inside Preview" release preview program (See: http://www.zdnet.com/article/latest-update-to-windows-10-anniversary-causing-installation-woes-for-some/ ) This is the secound release this year that has caused me needless headaches and speaks poorly of Microsoft's quality assurance efforts.

Sorry this didn't help.

{ just completed the same thing on my Asus K55A and it went smoothly and am now on Version 14393.222 and it also just updated Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936). So far so good!

Sorry this didn't help.

I have got the same problem as most here; the latest update attempts to install on boot, fails then announces "couldn't complete updates ..." and rolls back the effort. I've tried most of the suggestions I've seen in this post without success.

What bugs me is that Microsoft was aware of the issues prior to the release of this update from the reports obtained through the "Inside Preview" release preview program (See: http://www.zdnet.com/article/latest-update-to-windows-10-anniversary-causing-installation-woes-for-some/ ) This is the secound release this year that has caused me needless headaches and speaks poorly of Microsoft's quality assurance efforts.

Have you tried the one that worked for me on the 2 affected computers I use, and seems to work for all who have tried it?  Here it is:

1.  Delete folder C:/Windows/System32/Tasks/Microsoft/XblGameSave

2.  Initiate Start Key+X command "Command Prompt (Admin)", and enter command "regedit".  Then scroll to registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Schedule/TaskCache/Tree/Microsoft/XblGameSave", and delete this registry key.

3.  Reboot, and then rerun the update, or download and rerun.

This should solve the problem of the continuous loop to update, and the tons of wasted time trying to do so without success.  You can easily check the results with a command prompt of "winver" to see if your Windows version is XXXX.222.  If so, the update has been successful.  Good luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Deleting the folder and the Registry key worked for me. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

As mentioned before, this appears to have solved the problem for me..

1.  Delete folder C:/Windows/System32/Tasks/Microsoft/XblGameSave

2.  Initiate "Command Prompt (Admin)" (Star Keyt+X command), and enter command "regedit". 

3. Then scroll to registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Schedule/TaskCache/Tree/Microsoft/XblGameSave", and delete this registry key.

4.  Reboot, and then rerun the update, or download and rerun.

This should solve the problem of the continuous loop to update, and the tons of wasted time trying to do so without success.  You can easily check the results with a command prompt of "winver" to see if your Windows version is XXXX.222.  If so, the update has been successful. 

Sorry this didn't help.

For some people, it's a driver issue.  Have you checked your CBS logs for what happened just before the failure? Sometimes the CBS logs tell exactly what the failure reason was.  What have you got to lose? Since you have tried "most" of the suggestions and none of them have worked, why not try the rest you haven't tried?

Yes, they were aware of it when some of us started reporting it.  But, telemetry told them that it wasn't a problem for most.  So, they released it because security updates contained in it really need to be installed and most people weren't affected.  Even in my case, out of four machines with Windows 10, only one was affected, and that one was fixed with a workaround suggested here.  The rest updated without calling attention to themselves and without intervention.

For those that are affected, workarounds are around here on the boards and a fix will be released sometime soon.  The last time I was affected by an installation issue was in September.  For that one I just downloaded the update from the Windows Update Catalog and ran it manually.  Again, only one machine was affected out of four.  So, the issue is with something on my system.  In my case it was a USB driver for a DisplayLink device that caused the issue.  An in-place upgrade automatically solved that problem and installed the update as well on that computer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for ending the UPDATE **** !

This worked on my Win 10 system correctly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Great to hear!

Sorry this didn't help.