Question

Q: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3081436) fails to install multiple times, reboots 3x before restoring to previous state.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3081436) fails to  install multiple times, reboots 3x before restoring to previous state. Not Good. Gota  fix yet?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I apologize for the issue that you are facing.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. We will assist you with the issue.

Try the following methods.

Method 1:

Run windows update troubleshooter:

The Modern app troubleshooter can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps and the Store
Refer to the following article and run the Apps troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2:

Place computer in clean boot state and check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081436

Disclaimer: To start the computer in normal mode refer the section, "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the link above.

Hope this resolves.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I apologize for the issue that you are facing.

I do appreciate your efforts and time. We will assist you with the issue.

Try the following methods.

Method 1:

Run windows update troubleshooter:

The Modern app troubleshooter can automatically identify and fix some problems with apps and the Store
Refer to the following article and run the Apps troubleshooter:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2:

Place computer in clean boot state and check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081436

Disclaimer: To start the computer in normal mode refer the section, "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the link above.

Hope this resolves.

Thank you.

Tried all of the above and more from your answer forums. Spent all day doing this.  Nothing helped.  KB 3081436 would NOT install.  At one point, got message that it was already installed but when I looked further, the update was shown as failed.  So, how could I have uninstalled something that wasn't installed in the first place?  This was indeed very frustrating.  However, update KB 3081424 had previously proceeded smoothly. So, I did a System Restore to before it was installed, downloaded 3081436 for offline install, and then installed it.  Great, got it to work!  That, however, took away all the customizations I had made, so i decided to start from scratch.  That was another adventure and is a story for another forum!

Microsoft hurried Windows 10 out-the-door, and no matter how much they try to convince people that this was by design ("Windows will be a work in progress"), I think they screwed-up big this time.  Windows 8 Preview was better-handled that the Windows 10 Preview.

Sorry this didn't help.

I cannot use these options: after several reboots this CU 3081436 crushed my PC completely. After BIOS screen there is a black screen with a small cursor - nothing more. Now I cannot even recover it back to Win 7 as it would not boot at all without Win 10 installation DVD; moreover even installation DVD does not help recover either using restore points or go back to Win 7.

Can anybody help, please?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried to install the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 (KB3081436)" half a dozen times.  Each time it  failed.

Microsoft, please fix this!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

Ditto---KB3081436 failed for the 3rd straight day.  What if Microsoft doing about the problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been trying and failing to install this update (KB3081436)  for 5 days now, the update downloads but the it fails to install on restart, it actually makes the PC reboot 4 times every time stating we couldn't install updates, removing them. this really is getting frustrating.

I have tried troubleshooting and it find nothing to report.

Please help!

Sorry this didn't help.

I also cannot Install KB3081436.  And when my computer attempts to install it reboots and then stops before the desktop / login screen loads.  Blank screen on both monitors,  one is on (like it is expecting input) the other is off.  I have to struggle to get the computer to reboot in safe mode,  at which time after 2 reboots in safe mode the computer will finally uninstall KB3081436.   Only to have the computer attempt to reinstall it the next download cycle. 

By struggle I mean that there is no way for me to get my computer into safe mode except hitting the power button in the middle of the boot cycle.  on next reboot my PC will start with a 0x00000bb error that will allow me into the boot menu,  ironically any option chosen at that point works like normal so I am not sure what the error is for.  F8 does not work at all and I do not have fast boot enabled on my PC.

If I know it doesn't work on my PC I should be able to exclude it.   Once windows update records an item as FAILED it should not attempt to install it again until a solution to the failure is available.

People cannot afford to spend hours on trying to diagnose issues with there PC related to update packages that have problems, especially when you cannot dictate when the updates will occur.   How on earth is this supposed to be effective in small corporate networks.   Employers cant afford for PCs to be down just because Microsoft's latest patch doesn't work and doesn't provide a simple straight forward method of removal when an issue occurs.  And on top of it this patch installed with the NVidia driver from 8/4 so how are you supposed to know if it is the Nvidia driver or this patch causing the issue since all of them install or uninstall at one time?

End result the new Nvidia driver removed the Nvidia update from the list.  Limiting my only suspect to KB3081436.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this issue with error 80070011, it turns out that's because I move the User profile folder to D: and mklink junction to and the original location. Somehow the update can't working with junction link and report the drive location was wrong. I had to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and change each %SystemDrive%\Users location to the actual location, for me it's D:\Users

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure if this the correct forum but I suspect that it may be. It seems that my laptop has downloaded KB3081438 but no mention of any updates before this. My laptop has been my only machine that has the capability to log on to the internet, even though my PC tells me that it is connected to the net but neither Google Chrome, Firefox or IE will open. Since, foolishly changing to Windows 10 I have had to reinstall my Bitdefender security software on my PC although it will not install on my laptop which I feel is rather a dangerous problem. I had to reinstall Adobe reader which had been working fine in win 7 but now my thumbnails have reverted from a thumbnail of the actual file to the Adobe squiggle and the 'fix' that I downloaded from a forum doesn't work in Win 10.

You can imagine how frustrating it is not being able to log on (most of my work is done on my PC) and it means that 'I Tunes' doesn't work properly and My Greetings Card Deluxe software (my wife is not at all pleased about this) needs internet access to be of any use. I don't have the time or the knowledge to sort out all the problems that Win 10 has given me.  

On my laptop there are 66 pieces of software that are 'unavailable' which is similar to the list on my PC and worst of all I need Sony's Sonicstage software back as I still use a Minidisc player which needs the program to move music files around. I tried to open the software on the PC but it sent it into lock down and then kept telling me that it was re-starting until I eventually had to switch off the machine to eventually sort itself out. How am I supposed to do any work on a machine that has so many problems. If Win 10 wasn't ready then it should not have been released. Will there be a workaround for all the issues that I am having, can I change to opening programs in Win 7 mode from the properties menu. I too have tried lots of different ways of troubleshooting the issues with no success.

However, none of this matters if I cannot get on the internet. I am now afraid to 'personalise' my laptop or change any settings in case I change the setting that eats my e-mail setting. I dread to think what it's costing punters l who don't have my minimal skills with a computer to get their machines back to normal.

I don't even appear to have a restore point to revert to Win 7 as I've even tried that with no success. I am now very frustrated and aghast that Microsoft have released a very flawed operating system.

Sorry this didn't help.

You descibed exactly the behavior of my PC while installing the update.

at the end I was not able to do anything. Even a new installation was not possible because after upgrade from Win 7 to win 10 I han no Serial key for win 10.

I bought a new Win 10 PC and now, after one day of using, the same update fails to install. 

My imagination is full of horror scenarios what comes next...

please Microsoft, fix it or exclude it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 5,276 Last updated: May 11, 2018 Applies to: