Correcting An Endless "Automatic Repair" Loop

Hello again, Microsoft Community -- it's been quite a few years since my last Answers topic.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop that recently fell prey to a Windows 10 operating system error that triggers an endless series of "Automatic Repair" reboots which don't resolve the problem. After initially working with HP Customer Service (since the laptop had just narrowly fallen out of warranty by the time the problem occurred), I've since referred the matter to the HP Community Forums, from where it was recommended that a reinstall of the operating system should be attempted to correct the problem. The full details of the problem and the suggestions made to remedy it can be found on the links I am including below in the bulleted list:

Currently, I am trying to perform a cloning of the affected hard drive before attempting the OS reinstall. As of now, I am running into a problem with a secondary laptop from which I am working; in attempting to install the Acronis True Image For Crucial disk cloning program onto an HP Stream laptop that runs Windows 10 In S Mode as its operating system, the OS prevents the program from proceeding into an install as a security measure, as it is not an approved application by Microsoft. As I am trying to back up the contents of the hard drive as a precaution before attempting a reinstall of the operating system, I would like to ask anyone here if there is a way to allow for the download of the Acronis program in S-Mode (without having to irrevocably switch out the license for S-Mode), or if a "Microsoft-friendly" alternate program might be recommended for use in S-Mode instead? Some alternate cloning programs were recently suggested to me in an E-mail by Crucial's customer service that I listed on this forum post, but I wanted to return to the Microsoft Answers page as a precaution before I tried anything.

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds to my post.

P.S. -- although many of my original topics are locked by now, none were ever fully resolved, so please feel free to visit my earlier topics and see if you might be able to do something about them now.

Again, thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to provide to these older threads as well.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi, A. I'm Robinson, and I’m happy to help you today.

Unfortunately, there is no option to install a problem outside the Microsoft Store without exiting the S mode.

You don't need a cloning program, you can copy all your files from your hard drive using File Explorer, you just need to connect your hard drive to another computer and copy the folder C:\Windows\ Users\Your_User (replace C: with the letter where your hard drive is mounted).

If you make a clone or create a system image from your hard drive you will have a broken Windows installation as is your computer now.

After you finished the backup of your files, you can perform a custom installation of Windows. As long as you do not format the C: drive in the Setup, you will not lose your data, but they are moved to another location. After the installation, you can find a folder Windows.old in the root directory of C: drive. All your files are saved there.

Note: This procedure only will keep the personal files, all software and apps need to be reinstalled.

1-Create a USB device with an installation image.
You can create using the media creation tool, download it on this link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
2-Enter on BIOS/UEFI and change to boot from the USB device.
3-Click "Install Now".
4- Type your product key or skip it. Usually, your computer will be activated automatically when it's connected to a network if you install the same version of Windows 10 as before.
5- Select the installation type "Custom".
6- Select the C: drive and click Next to proceed. Then, wait patiently until the installation is complete 100%.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, A. I'm Robinson, and I’m happy to help you today.

Unfortunately, there is no option to install a problem outside the Microsoft Store without exiting the S mode.

You don't need a cloning program, you can copy all your files from your hard drive using File Explorer, you just need to connect your hard drive to another computer and copy the folder C:\Windows\ Users\Your_User (replace C: with the letter where your hard drive is mounted).

If you make a clone or create a system image from your hard drive you will have a broken Windows installation as is your computer now.

After you finished the backup of your files, you can perform a custom installation of Windows. As long as you do not format the C: drive in the Setup, you will not lose your data, but they are moved to another location. After the installation, you can find a folder Windows.old in the root directory of C: drive. All your files are saved there.

Note: This procedure only will keep the personal files, all software and apps need to be reinstalled.

1-Create a USB device with an installation image.
You can create using the media creation tool, download it on this link.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
2-Enter on BIOS/UEFI and change to boot from the USB device.
3-Click "Install Now".
4- Type your product key or skip it. Usually, your computer will be activated automatically when it's connected to a network if you install the same version of Windows 10 as before.
5- Select the installation type "Custom".
6- Select the C: drive and click Next to proceed. Then, wait patiently until the installation is complete 100%.

Hello RobinsonSilvestre -- thank you for responding.

My preferred pace is a deliberate one that has a lot of step-by-step instruction and follow-up questioning, so please bear with me, if you would...

I wanted to ask for some clarification on your "File Explorer" backup method about making the needed connection between hard drives and computers. I tend to overanalyze, so allow me to describe my question by "diagramming" it below for you:

• Laptop A: HP Pavilion running Windows 10

• Drive A: Hewlett-Packard 762990-006 Hard drive 1TB 5400RPM SATA RAW 7

• Laptop B: HP Stream running Windows 10 In S Mode; factory-installed hard drive intact

• Drive B: Crucial MX500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-inch SSD; currently uninstalled to a laptop

I'm assuming you've looked at the HP Community Forum topics I included in the original post, but if not, here are the other computer components I have available to try to fix the issue:

• Inland 2.5" SATA HDD Adapter

• a 64GB Micro Center USB3.1 with which to perform the operating system reinstall

"Laptop A" and "Drive A" are the ones afflicted with the Automatic Repair rebooting problem, "Laptop B" is the separate functional computer from which I'm working to correct the error, and "Drive B" is the hard drive I'm hoping to use for backup storage of my "Drive A" files before attempting the reinstall of the operating system on said drive.

Which brings me to my question about your recommendation, just to help it make sense to me: when you say I could connect my hard drive to another computer and do a copy of the C:// drive contents, do you mean:

• removing "Drive A" from "Laptop A," installing "Drive B" into "Laptop A," and using the HDD adapter on "Drive A" to execute a copy into "Drive B" of the C:// drive contents?

• using "Drive A" with the HDD adapter on "Laptop B" to copy the contents of "Drive A" onto some other storage device, such as an external portable hard drive (which I have available to use if so), or directly onto the hard drive of "Laptop B" if space allows?

• using the HDD adapter onto "Drive B" while connected to "Laptop A," and accessing one of the six "Automatic Repair" post-boot corrective options (Startup Repair, Command Prompt, Uninstall Updates, UEFI Firmware Settings, System Restore and System Image Recovery) to perform the suggested copy from the affected "Drive A" onto the "Drive B" device?

Of course, you are welcome to correct any misinterpretations I might have made, or to recommend something I didn't consider above; because I don't want to make a mistake that might cause greater problems, I want to be certain that I understood your instructions before I make any movements. Hopefully, my "diagram" wasn't confusing for you, so feel free to request any clarification from me if needed.

Thanks in advance

:-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry if my first answer was not clear. I believe that the easiest solution is:

"using "Drive A" with the HDD adapter on "Laptop B" to copy the contents of "Drive A" onto some other storage device, such as an external portable hard drive (which I have available to use if so), or directly onto the hard drive of "Laptop B" if space allows?"

1-Remove the "Drive A" from "Laptop A"
2-Connect the "Drive A" to "Laptop B" using the HDD adapter
3-Doing this, you should see all your file from "Drive A" using File Explorer from "Laptop B" like an external drive and back up your important files for safety
4-When finished, return the "Drive A" to "Laptop A" and perform a custom installation of Windows without formatting the drive
5-If everything goes well, your files from "Drive A" will not be deleted, but moved to C:\Windows.old, and then you just need to move the file to the correct locations

I hope I was able to clarify your doubts. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to assist you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry if my first answer was not clear. I believe that the easiest solution is:

"using "Drive A" with the HDD adapter on "Laptop B" to copy the contents of "Drive A" onto some other storage device, such as an external portable hard drive (which I have available to use if so), or directly onto the hard drive of "Laptop B" if space allows?"

1-Remove the "Drive A" from "Laptop A"
2-Connect the "Drive A" to "Laptop B" using the HDD adapter
3-Doing this, you should see all your file from "Drive A" using File Explorer from "Laptop B" like an external drive and back up your important files for safety
4-When finished, return the "Drive A" to "Laptop A" and perform a custom installation of Windows without formatting the drive
5-If everything goes well, your files from "Drive A" will not be deleted, but moved to C:\Windows.old, and then you just need to move the file to the correct locations

I hope I was able to clarify your doubts. If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you for clarifying; perhaps I overinterpreted your instructions, so don't blame yourself -- that's why we ask questions, after all.

I went ahead and attempted the steps you've given me earlier this evening, but something strange happened: I was able to connect "Drive A" into "Laptop B" and everything on it displayed as you said it would, but oddly, the copy-and-paste doesn't appear to have worked...at least for now.

Here's what happened: upon connecting "Drive A" into "Laptop B" and having the drive's contents displayed before me, I went ahead and tried a copy of the "Users" folder from the drive onto a couple of external drives (specifically, I first attempted it onto a WD 1TB portable drive, then again on the 64GB Micro Center flash drive). In all instances, the computer soon displayed a message that read that administrator permission is needed in order to copy the file. Nonetheless, a "Continue" button with the administrator badge attached was displayed on that same pop-up message, so I went ahead and clicked it, then proceeded to try the "paste" part of the copy-and-paste. It took a little while for all the files to copy (over 2,000 files with roughly 2.5GB of total size), and yet the completion of what looked to be a successful file transfer was suspiciously fast -- like under four seconds quick. Despite what looked to be a successful copy-and-paste, the "Users" file folder is nowhere to be found on either the drives upon which I tried saving it. Everything looks as though it worked, but nothing suggests the backup fully succeeded.

I'm wondering why this strange anomaly occurred -- was it related to the "administrator permission" pop-up I mentioned, or is this another overcorrection from the Windows 10 In S Mode OS of "Laptop B" that won't let me perform the copy successfully? Is there a workaround to this of which I'm unaware? It feels like I'm close, but have hit another annoying setback with this weird glitch.

Any suggestions on what might've went wrong, or any advice on what to be done to get a successful copy?

Thanks in advance

:-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Made another attempt to do the copy earlier today, but had the same issue; I've decided to include some screen captures of what's been happening.

In attempting the copy of the "Drive A" contents onto external storage while using "Laptop B" (which runs Windows 10 In S Mode as its operating system), the pop-up seen below appears each time:

As you can see above, a "Continue" button (complete with the "administrator shield" icon) appears on the prompt, suggesting that administrator permission would be granted once selected. I select the "Continue" button, which proceeds into the copying phase of the backup, as the below image shows:

The above image shows that the contents of the "Users" folder within the Windows (E:) File Explorer folder (also referred to here as "Drive A") are being copied ahead of the paste into another external storage device. This process usually takes about five-to-seven minutes, give or take, but then, when the copy process finishes after several minutes of discovering items, the paste completes in a matter of seconds without carrying anything over. I took the screen capture below to illustrate this:

If you look at the image above, you may notice that the "paste" is nearly finished at 66%, but no files are actually being transferred, as indicated by the "Items remaining" section by this point. When the download window closes, the "Users" folder is not present on any of the external storage I've used so far.

I suspect this might be another overcorrection by the security features of the "Laptop B" operating system, in that it won't grant administrator permissions on "Drive A" whether I accept a prompt for it or not, but honestly, I'm not sure what's causing this. At least the recommendation worked, in that I can access the affected hard drive's contents, but I can't manage a proper backup just yet.

Any suggestion to overcome this issue would be appreciated.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Surprised that there haven't been any recent replies form anyone in a while...

For those who may have read my more recent posts here without replying, I suspect that maybe the security features of the Windows 10 In S Mode operating system installed on "Laptop B" might be the issue; I've been wondering if I should attempt to perform the copy of "Drive A" from a different computer altogether?

If anyone has any sort of suggestion about the matter, or might have an idea on what can be done to remedy the matter with "Laptop B" more immediately, please let me know soon; I may be in a position to have access to another computer in the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had a chance to attempt a copy from "Drive A" from a different computer a couple of days ago; I'm sorry to report that I ran into that same "administrator permission" bulwark as before, and there wasn't an administrator available on premises that could have bypassed it to see if anything different might have happen between that attempt and the ones previously mentioned here.

I would really like any input on what's causing the problem I mentioned in the earlier post from June 18th, and what might be done to correct it. What I've been trying to do is pretty simple, and yet there has been one frustrating setback after another in recent weeks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing new to report; just leaving a quick message to keep the topic from being locked.

I could still use some help with this issue, so please feel free to leave a message if you may have some advice to move things along.

Thanks in advance

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing new to report; just leaving a quick message to keep the topic from being locked.

I could still use some help with this issue, so please feel free to leave a message if you may have some advice to move things along.

Thanks in advance

Sorry to see there hasn't been any new activity since my last post here...

Regardless, I did an online search about the problem and it led me to this tutorial video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-UFVN9JEdI

I may give this a try, unless anyone might have a reason it wouldn't work with my computer or operating system, or may have some other suggestion that may be more accurate. Either way, my door is always open.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK -- finally had a chance to attempt the "administrator permission" fix in the YouTube video in my previous post, but it didn't seem to correct the problem. I followed the steps exactly as they were given in the tutorial; other than the curious change in that it looked as though the copy-and-paste was going to complete properly, the computer gave me the same error prompt and refused to duplicate the files, even after selecting the "Continue" button.

I would really appreciate some help here. I encourage anyone to look at the video link in the previous post to see what about that technique might have kept this from working, or better yet, I welcome anyone to recommend something else that might help get me to the next step.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 1, 2024 Views 345 Applies to: