Cold boot to safe mode in Windows 10

I need to know how to boot to safe mode from a cold boot in Windows 10. My computer is being held hostage by Preparing Automatic Repair.

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2019 Views 33,672 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

1) Are you getting any error, while booting into your computer?

2) What is the make and model of your computer?

As per your query, I suggest you to follow the below steps to start your system in safe mode.

1. Press and hold Shift key and Restart your Computer.

2. Select Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advance Option.

4. Select Startup Repair.

5. Follow the on Screen instruction.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Kumar Rai.
Microsoft Support Engineer.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Keyboard will not work in Automatic Repair.  Unable to choose Restart or Advanced Options

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

As the keyboard is not getting detected in automatic repair mode. I would suggest you to download the media creation tool to install windows 10 and create Windows 10 installation DVD media and try Repairing your Computer. 

Follow the below steps:

1. Create installation media for windows 10.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

2. Insert the Windows 10 installation DVD in the DVD ROM and restart your computer.

3. After you boot your computer using Windows DVD or System Repair Disc, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from DVD". Press any key.

4. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.

5. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.

6. Follow the on screen instruction.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh Kumar Rai.
Microsoft Support Engineer.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Fix: Windows 8 fails to boot; Automatic Repair, Refresh, Reset PC also fail
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-fails-to-boot-automatic-repair-refresh-reset-pc-fail

Unable to refresh or reset PC after Automatic Repair fail
http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/47686-unable-refresh-reset-pc-after-automatic-repair-fail.html

Manually shutting down (forcibly) three times in a row should bring you to the same Safe Mode/Recovery options screen that the following two articles describe.

How to start Windows 8, or 10, in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-windows-8-in-safe-mode/

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

On a working Windows 8.1, or 10 machine, see  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\Create a Recovery Drive.

Create a Recovery Drive and use that to boot from in a faulty machine and try accessing the advanced startup options/safe mode then.  Don't take any option to copy the other machines Recovery Partition.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My query was "Windows 10 Pro Cold Boot into Safe Mode". The answer I got was what I already knew and that was how to HOT reboot. I am assuming it is impossible to Cold Boot. If that is true, shame on you. In my opinion, you continue to make your software harder to work with. I'm not a guru but I have a lot of years computing and am not a novice either. My history goes back to the TRS-80 Model 4P and I extensively used Multiplan 1.06. I once set up a complete double entry book keeping system with reports and all. Now to the real complaint. I spend hours and hours on trouble shooting. I have your Assure program and I also have a subscription to HP's similar service. It costs money and I don't have the time to invest. There is always something that won't work and needs fixing. Time!, Time!, Time!

245 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Most of us who post here are just ordinary Windows users who have nothing to do with Microsoft.  Our time is given voluntarily and for free.  You will on the odd occasion see a posting from Microsoft Support staff.

If your machine will not start for you it may be impossible to hot or cold boot.  The options that are possible are available via the various Startup Repair options.

How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/open-advanced-startup-options-windows-8.htm

You can access the advanced startup options/safe mode menu by:

Depressing the Shift Key while clicking on Restart at the Login Screen (Bottom right corner).

Manually shutting down (forcibly) three times in a row will bring you to the same screen.

On a working Windows 8.1, or 10 machine, see  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\Create a Recovery Drive.

Create a Recovery Drive and use that to boot from in a faulty machine and try accessing the advanced startup options/safe mode then.

Have you tried booting into the machine to access all the other Advanced Startup Options?

How to Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

If you can access the MsConfig tool (and the Boot Tab) it is also possible to use that to boot directly into Safe Mode.

Sorry this didn't help.

Manually shutting down (forcibly) three times in a row will bring you to the same screen.

Create a Recovery Drive and use that to boot from in a faulty machine and try accessing the advanced startup options/safe mode then.

There is no way to get into Startup Options by booting from installation media or a Recovery Drive.  The item is not there.

However, manually shutting down (forcibly) three times in a row does work. 

Power on, wait for blue Windows logo, hold power button in until shutdown occurs.  Repeat, Repeat.  The third boot will show "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "Diagnosing Your PC" and then you will get a screen with an "Advanced Options".  Click on "Advanced Options" then "Troubleshooting" then "Startup Options".  The PC will restart and then you will get a menu of boot options.  #4 or #5 will get you into Safe Mode.

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, please provide few details.

1) Are you getting any error, while booting into your computer?

2) What is the make and model of your computer?

As per your query, I suggest you to follow the below steps to start your system in safe mode.

1. Press and hold Shift key and Restart your Computer.

2. Select Troubleshoot.

3. Select Advance Option.

4. Select Startup Repair.

5. Follow the on Screen instruction.

I have a customer that shut down her computer (tower) while the anniversary edition was installing and turned off the power source.  Now it locks up while trying to boot up. Is there anyway to repair this with out starting over with windows 7 and then upgrade to w-10?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

HP DC5700. Getting, no error, Re booted now.  Asking for keyboard layout.  US Attempting start up repair.

Start up repair could not repair computer.  Only viable option is to shut down.

Sorry this didn't help.

HP DC5700. Getting, no error, Re booted now.  Asking for keyboard layout.  US Attempting start up repair.

When you boot do you get this logo:  .  That is the windows 10 logo.  I would guess that the upgrade from Windows 7 got far enough that there is no going back to Windows 7 unless you have some external backup.

I am making a suggestion and I do not know if it will recover your Windows 10.  It depends on how far you got in the upgrade process.  Proceed at your own risk.

I think your only option is to boot into Troubleshoot again.

Instead of Startup Repair select Reset This PC and then Keep Files

Note that the only files that will be kept are your personal files.  All non-Microsoft programs (Firefox, Chrome, Adobe etc) will be removed and you will need to reinstall them.

Be prepared for a slow process and please do not power off until it is finished.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.