Can't update Windows 10 to build 14328 due to error 0x800704cf

Hello!

I'm getting error 0x800704cf when trying to install Windows 10 Build 14328.

Update downloads, then I restart the computer, the installation screen starts. When it completes all 3 steps, the computer restarts and says: "Restoring your previous version of Windows" (I can't make the translation quite right because it shows in Czech - for an unknown reason.) When it finally boots, it's back again at build 14316 and in Windows Update I can see this: " Windows 10 Insider Preview 14328 - Error 0x800704cf" and a retry button. I tried to install the update 3 times but neither of those tries solved the error. What can be the problem and how can I solve it?

Thanks for your responses.

Matej Palo

|

Hi Matej,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

Please answer the following questions so that we can help you.

1. What is the make and model of the system?

2. Do you have any anti-virus program installed? 

3. Do you use a proxy connection? 

I suggest you to follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1: I suggest you to check if the services responsible for Windows update is running. Refer to these steps:

a. Press Windows key +R, type “services.msc

b. Locate the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services and check if it is running.

c. If not, right click on the service and click start to start the service.

Method 2: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter

I suggest you to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run Windows Updatetroubleshooter:

a. PressWindows key + S and type troubleshooting.

b. Select Troubleshooting.

c. Select View all on the top left corner.

d. Click Windows Update troubleshooter.

e. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

f. Check if issue persists

Method 3: Place the computer in Clean Boot and then install the new build.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts

Refer the article below to perform clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Please refer to the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Please reply here with the results so that we can assist you further. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I can't update due to error 0xc0000185.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

Welcome to Microsoft community.

From the description, I understand you are not able perform Windows update due to the error 0xc0000185.

To assist you better let us know the make and model of the system?

Try to perform Windows update troubleshooter from the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Reply to us with more information to help you further.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

After a plethora of failed attempts to upgrade to Windows 10, with its variety of error messages, I ran both the current update troubleshooter (2016), and an older version (2014) to fix any issues which may have interfered with the installation.  Did it work?  NO, the installation still failed many times with different error messages!  So, truly, the windows troubleshooter did not help with easing or rectifying the installation issues, and I found it a waste of time.

I knew my Toshiba Satellite L855D-S5117 was compatible and could handle the upgrade, and it also had plenty of room on the drive for the download. But, failed installations occurred time after time.  So, I opted for a long shot.  Rather than go through a system restore or a clean boot install (which were going to be my next steps), I shut off the "fast start up" (power settings), ran disk clean up and defragged the drive (system settings).  While the defragmenter did not really require running, the disk clean up did because of all the unnecessary and unwanted files found in "windows update" from the myriad of failed installations.  

The installation began and as luck would have it at 8%, I received an error message (C1900101), but I knew what this message meant: overheating and a forced shutdown.  The system reverted to 8.1, I downloaded Windows 10 (AGAIN) and got ready for the next battle of Me vs. Windows (Round 10 - maybe more, I stopped counting)!  But, before I began the installation, I took the advice of a community member and placed a window fan over the arms of a chair, placed a cooking (cookie) rack over the fan and then placed the laptop upon the rack.  The installation took place and the system updated without a glitch! 

This may work for you, or it may not.  I do wish you the best of luck - perseverance is the best armor one can possess in this battle of the system upgrade!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can't update to 14332 either.  Same error (0xc0000185).

Converted the esd file to an ISO and tried it that way.  I got error code 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - Install failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during the boot operation.

After some research, seems to be a lot of different reasons that one may get these errors, but a lot of them are due to drivers.

I'm thinking it may have to do with my Samsung 950 Pro NVME drive or add on card.  I did a clean install of Windows 10 on the 950 Pro when I got it and everything went fine.  I am on the fast ring and upgraded to 14316 no problem.  The 950 was installed on my motherboards M2 slot but it was only X2.  So I added a SilverStone dual M2 to PCI-E X4 card and moved the 950 there.  No issues.  However, since then I have not been able to upgrade.

Gigabyte Ultra Durable X99-UD4

Intel I7 5820K Extreme

16GB Crucial DDR4-2133

MSI Geforce GTX 970 4GD5T OC

Samsung 950 Pro 512GB

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Mushkin 120GB

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows Updates Components and check if the issue persists.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

rou

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Ref: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Registry disclaimer:

Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Also, if you have any third party security software installed in the computer, temporarily disable it and check if it helps.

Disclaimer: If you have to temporarily disable the antivirus to install other software; you should enable the antivirus as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to virus attacks.

Let us know the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2020 Views 3,240 Applies to: