Can't install the latest Windows Update (2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x86-based Systems (KB4016871)

As the title said, i can't update to the latest version of Windows. It will always failed in my update history. What I've tried:

-Updating from Windows Update in System

-Downloading and updating from the catalog, still failed

-Using Windows Update Assistant, It only shows "Thank You for updating to the latest version of Windows"

-Using Windows Update Troubleshooter. All problems seems to be fixed, though i may run it again later

So, by now i still stuck at version 15063.250

Question Info

Last updated July 29, 2018 Views 25,626 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You currently have 15063.250 which is version 1703 of Windows 10. You are trying to Install an update of version 1607 which is not applicable for Windows 10 1703.

Your system is currently up to date. you do not need to do anything. However, if your PC is asking to Install this, you should hide this update:

When the update is offered, hide this update using the following troubleshooter tool:

Download Windows 10 Updates Troubleshooter Tool from Microsoft

Click on "Hide updates" option and you'll be able to hide desired update given in the list.

Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018 and Volunteer Moderator
Do not Shoot the messenger

53 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oh sorry i got it wrong. The pending update is 1703 KB4016871

Sorry this didn't help.

The cumulative updates that they've release since Creators Update has been released have not

been a problem on any of my Desktop/Laptop Computers...HOWEVER...

I have not been able to install either of the Cumulative updates (KB4016240 and KB4016871)

on my RCA Cambio 11.6 Windows 10 TABLET. Both of these cumulative updates tries to install

and then tells me it needs to reboot to finish...The problem is that when it reboots it never gets

a chance to finish and it goes to the login screen at which time when I login it tells me the

update did not finish...I have had to hide this latest update to stop it from keep trying to install...

What I've found is that if I do a clean install (Just leaving user files) then both of these updates would complete...But that leaves my RCA TABLET not only needing everything (And I have a lot to reinstall) but it also leaves the touchscreen

in a non-working state (It works but cannot be calibrated)....It still has what appears to be the correct Silead driver but

the touch is not even in the ballpark and cannot be calibrated. Hence each time I have reimaged back to the last

Cumulative Update that would install so my tablet remains on 10563.138.

I am hopeful that a future cumulative update may work and if not that the Redstone 3 release in Sept/Oct will at least

bring it upto date at that time. Like I said it is not worth the alternative of not only having to spend several days reloading all software on the tablet but also to not have a working touchscreen. I'm not sure what it is about the last two rounds of cumulative updates (KB4016240 and KB4016871) but whatever it is they will not complete installation after reboot on my tablet (Unless a clean installation is performed). (And I've tried all troubleshooting that was available).

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The pending update is 1703 KB4016871

Try clicking on the failed message and see where it leads?

Alternatively, open ReportingEvents.log  and see if there is a clearer clue in there.

C.f.

https://answers.microsoft.com/message/bc42e85a-902e-4ae1-bdcc-17d688c97f38?threadId=7959b40b-cf67-4cb7-b9f3-d1f7e382b1e7 

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Sorry this didn't help.

Robert...I tried that fix that worked for some others...Unfortunately my system partition simply reported there were no errors found (chkdsk r: /f)....I ran all the BCD commands which all reported successful...I had run BCD commands from Andre's post you pointed out before..I rebooted and reshowed the KB4016871 and attempted reinstall...But again it did the same thing on reboot simply not finishing and going to the login screen...

Checking the System Events it simply shows...

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070157:2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x86-based Systems (KB4016871).

In checking past posts of when new versions of Windows 10 caused this same error for Cumulative Updates I saw that I had been able to work around this by first installing Windows 10 without updates and then reinstalling Windows 10 with updates (Allowing the updates to be installed with Windows 10 the second time).  Unfortunately this time this work around did not work...

But again it shows that these Cumulative Updates are problematic especially it seems for UEFI systems from my troubles and that of others.

To reiterate it appears my difficulty with Cumulative Updates has resurfaced on my RCA Tablet with the new version of Windows 10 (Creators) like it had done in the past with other new versions (But this time my workaround does not work).

Sorry this didn't help.

Checking the System Events it simply shows...

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070157:2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x86-based Systems (KB4016871).

PS>net helpmsg (0x157)

The external backing provider is not recognized.

I have no idea what component would have issued that.  See if you can find more details in either the Event you found or in the associated WER record in msinfo32.exe Software... Windows Reporting Events.  Tip:  You can format WER records by using the Microsoft Forums Sandbox Ask a Question page: click on the HTML button, Paste in your record, click on Update, click on the HTML button again.  Capture the output; no need to post it.

For a guess I would wonder if you would get further or any clearer symptom by avoiding driver signature testing.

In fact, now that we are on to driver setup (speculatively) you could also have a look at  SetupAPI.Dev.log for signs of failure.

So, then, you too might find a 0x800F0922 being reported by CBS.log (or archived portion) but in your case it probably would not be for a Boot File Servicing problem.  That's fine.  It's the methodology that I am trying to help people try, not just look at the specific details of any particular incident.

HTH

Robert
---

Sorry this didn't help.

I sadly updated to this latest build last night.  Now, my Desktop no longer can connect to the internet. I get a very weak wifi signal. If I disconnect it, it doesn't always find my network. Chrome freezes up.  My mouse doesn't work half the times.  I tried using All Settings, Update, but it just freezes when I click on it.  I tried going to System Restore, but it was turned off (prior to updating, no it wasn't). So all my restore points are gone.  So, I'm stuck with a desktop that's permanently offline, and I can't uninstall this update.  Thanks Microsoft.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Atherworld...

You should be able to ROLLBACK to the Windows 10 earlier build very easily (If you haven't used Disk Cleanup to delete it)...

Go to SETTINGS....UPDATE AND SECURITY....RECOVERY....And there you should have a button allowing you to

GO BACK TO AN EARLIER BUILD...Select that and allow your system to restore the earlier build. Since you just did the upgrade you should have this option available to you (The option goes away after a while)...

See this page for a description with pictures...

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Oh...And you always need to do a BACKUP with a good backup (IMAGER) program...Otherwise you can get stuck having to rebuild a system...Especially with Windows 10. (MACRIUM REFLECT and ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE are both very good Backup Imaging programs).

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't have a rollback, but did manage to uninstall the update.  Mouse works, Chrome still crashes, and wifi was not restored.  After using ipconfig options on CMD, I managed to get very little internet activity. Mostly a site or two.  Almost nothing loads.

I downloaded the update and am trying it this way.  Last time, with the Anniversary update, it screwed so many Windows features up. After uninstalling it (and everything working right), the downloaded version updated my system almost  perfectly fine. I did lose Windows Store access, but rarely use it anyway.  Hopefully reinstalling the update this way will fix things up

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, the reinstall didn't work. But I did finally rollback the update, and everything works fine now.  But I couldn't manually reinstall the update as it's suddenly not applicable to my system.  Oh well.  My laptop's currently updating to it automatically, so we'll see how it fairs in the wifi connecting department.

Sorry this didn't help.