Can't Install KB3093266 - Error 0x80073712

I don't know how to fix this problem. 

I followed Step 1 of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/957310 but this is what happened:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 33% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Can someone help me please?

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2019 Views 935 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I would suggest you to reset the windows update components and after that try to install the update.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
  2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    • net stop wuauserv
    • net stop cryptSvc
    • net stop bits
    • net stop msiserver
  3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    • ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    • ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
  4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
    • net start wuauserv
    • net start cryptSvc
    • net start bits
    • net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

For reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)  

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

If you need further assistance regarding Windows, please feel free to post. We will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi. Thanks for replying to me. I tried everything you said to no avail. I still got the same error message: "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3093266) - Error 0x80073712." Why is this so? I hope you still have another solution for me. I bought my HP Stream notebook last April with Windows 8.1 OS before I upgraded it to Windows 10 on Sept. 1st. The windows.old folder is already gone/deleted. Thought you might need that info.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with you are not able to install KB3093266 and getting error code: 0x80073712 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Jessen P” replied on August 20, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/cumulative-update-for-windows-10-for-x64-based/249c550d-274a-4fc0-b2de-ba0503941b1d?page=1

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Rohit Siddegowda” replied on August 15, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/cumulative-update-for-windows-10-for-x64-based/a9eb5435-197e-41d1-a837-523dddd4cb29

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi. Nothing happens still. Here's what I saw after following the instructions on the first link you provided:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.10240.16384
Image Version: 10.0.10240.16384
[==========================100.0%==========================]
Error: 605
The specified buffer contains ill-formed data.
The DISM log file can be found at C:\WINDOWS\Logs\DISM\dism.log
C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannnow
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with
correct Microsoft versions.
SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
    [/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>]
/SCANNOW        Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with
                problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY     Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operation is
                performed.
/SCANFILE       Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems are
                identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE     Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>.  No repair
                operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR     For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot directory
/OFFWINDIR      For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows directory
e.g.
        sfc /SCANNOW
        sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
        sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows
        sfc /VERIFYONLY

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Should I just call you to do a remote session on my computer?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I suggest you to perform a System Refresh and check.

Note: Select Keep my files. This option keeps your files plus apps that came with your PC. Apps you installed and changes you made to settings will be removed.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/refresh-is-part-of-reset-in-windows-10#

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Yaqub Khan

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I tried doing that but I got a message saying there was a problem that occurred while resetting the PC and that no changes were made. What else can be done? I talked to a Level 1 tech support agent and he tried to troubleshoot the Windows Update and run the DISM tool to no avail. He then told me to buy the Assure Plan so a level 2 tech can "try" to resolve my issue. I don't want to pay to resolve something that is Windows 10's fault/defect.

Who else can help me fix this issue? :(

Sorry this didn't help.

The only thing that helped here - after everything else failed (sfc-, dism- operations, windows update repair, and everything else that was suggested in this and other threads about this error, multiple times), was taken from this German forum:

http://www.win-10-forum.de/windows-10-allgemeines/3083-kb-kb3081436-cumulative-update-for-x64-based-systems-laesst-installieren.html

It translates to:

In case there are orphaned user-accounts in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

because:

-there has been a test user that has been deleted, but Windows failed to remove it properly,

or

-if there is an account with the name "updateuser"

then they should be deleted, but make sure to Create a restore point or create/make a system backup before attempting to do this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point !

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. How do I delete this "test user" or this account named "update user"?

And actually, I contacted HP Support, and they said they would just send me a recovery media for Windows 8.1 (I think) in 2-3 business days so I can downgrade my OS and reupgrade it to 10. I also talked to a technician at a nearby Microsoft store here and asked for his help to do the downgrade, and he agreed. But now that you brought up this solution, I'm getting worried if the downgrade will really fix the issue as I have hoped. So can you please tell me how to remove this test user/updateuser so I can try to do that first?

Btw, thanks to everyone who has replied so far. God bless you, guys! 😊 

Sorry this didn't help.

First please create a system restore point, as explained here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-system-restore-point

Don't go any further, before you've created a system restore point, because if you accidentally delete the wrong profile, you will need to restore your registry with this restore point, so give it a distinctive name!

Then press CTRL+R, type lusrmgr.msc and hit enter, to open the "Local User Manager", and click on "Users".

Then press CTRL+R and type regedit to open the Registry Editor.

In this Registry Editor navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and it should look like this:

Click on the long profile names (the short ones like "S-1-5-18" are Windows default profiles, do not delete or change them), in the example on the image "S-1-5-21-2668852550-1274502..." for instance, and check the value for "ProfileImagePath" on the right:

The items with short name under "ProfileList" (e.g. "S-1-5-18", "S-1-5-19", "S-1-5-20") are the default Windows profiles, that you also find in the local user manager: "Admin", "DefaultAccount" an "Guest" (and maybe others), do not delete them. You should care only about the items with long names like the one highlighted in the above image!

Compare the value for "Profile Image Path" with the user accounts in your local user manager. In my case what SHOULD be there are "fuerh", "marti" and "paulk". And additionally the default Windows accounts: Administrator, DefaultAccount and Guest.

These three profiles are OK, that's what it would look when everything is fine. There's just "fuerh", "paulk" and "marti" in the list,

But if there are any additional profiles than the three default ones and your accounts that you found in the local user manager, then right click on that key (looks like a folder-icon) on the left, and delete it:

Then reboot your PC and re-try the windows update after the reboot!

There is a guide how to delete a specific orphaned profile called "SID.bak", maybe that helps to explain what I just tried to explain: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/947242 - it's originally meant for Windows Vista, but I think it still applies.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MartinRJ,

I was able to create a system restore point but when I proceeded with opening the Local User Manager, this was what I got:

I also tried to go to that Profile List in the Registry Editor but there is no subfolder like that under this path you mentioned: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion

If this is the last solution, I guess I really have to downgrade to Windows 8.1 and just reupgrade to 10. :(

But if you know any other, please feel free to reply again. I will attempt to do all your suggestions.

Again, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Sorry this didn't help.