Cannot create System restore point in Win 10

Following error message when trying to create a system restore point ..

The restore point could not be created for the following reason

The shadow copy provider had an error . Check the System and Application event logs for more information (0x80042306)

Please retry again..

Tried many times - same error message. When I try to recover from a previous system restore point - it tell me that "No restore point had being created on the system"  My understanding Win 10 installation will have automatically create a system restore point..

my questions

[1] What is the reason for this error and how to resolve it.

[2] If Win10 did not create a system restore during installation, what does this means in term of rolling back to previous version .. can I still able to roll back to my old version without this system restore point.

Appreciate if there is any one who have encountered this problem or have solution to it.

Thank you

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have the same problem tried every thing nothing works....I think it is related to the upgrade from win8.....were by the way restore points worked.

Definitely do not like not having them as they saved my butt a few times.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

"The shadow copy provider had an error . Check the System and Application event logs for more information (0x80042306)"

Same problem here. Also tried re-installing, clean installing etc....(on SSD)

Also unable to create a System Image. (Even after installing latest update KB3081424)

Reverted back to Win 8.1 Pro.  Possible to again create restore points and SI

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same not only I cannot create any restore point ...also cannot do a system image...getting error.......

Hope Microsoft can resolve these problems as they seem to be common.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Anyone know if system restore is working or only selected few are not working.

Typically I would still be in the dark ,IF not for some troubleshooting, I want to create a system restore point and discovered this issue. Most people would not check until they encounter a problem, by then it may be too late to realise that there is no system restore point and nothing to roll back to...

Any update from Microsoft ... is this a bug in win10 OS..... ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think it is a bug......its driving me bat....tried everything to solve it but to no avail.........I was very happy with win10.........great upgrade...all was good till the backup issue including image creation and restore points.....so as long as everything works I am ok....but if I have to restore I am dammed.......feels like Russian roulette..... lets hope Microsoft fixes it fast.........:-(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe you use Apple bootcamp for Windows?

In this case, the problem is with the Apple system drivers for mounting HFS volumes. These files are AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys.
This happens with bootcamp version 3.2 (driver creation date 10/15/2010) and 5.1 (creation date 1/31/2014).

These drivers can be disabled through the app sysinternal "Autoruns" for Windows. Then, after reboot, system image, recimg and restore points all work.

Disabling this driver is sufficient.

Note that enabling again these drivers will delete all restore points you may have made.

This solution implies you can't see HFS partitions anymore in Windows (if you have such partitions). After rebooting, Windows will no longer mount your HFS OS X volumes because these HFS system drivers are now disabled.

Perhaps Apple will make a Windows 10 compatible driver one day.

So, how to fix the problem?

Use "Autoruns" to prevent the drivers from loading, then reboot.

Hope this will help you.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No Apple bootcamp.....just upgraded from win 8.1 to win 10.........smoothly with no issues....just no way of backing up my system....restore points or image.....file history works......MS needs to **** this.......:-(

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In this case, the problem is with the Apple system drivers for mounting HFS volumes. These files are AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys.
This happens with bootcamp version 3.2 (driver creation date 10/15/2010) and 5.1 (creation date 1/31/2014).

These drivers can be disabled through the app sysinternal "Autoruns" for Windows. Then, after reboot, system image, recimg and restore points all work.

Note that enabling again these drivers will delete all restore points you may have made.

This solution implies you can't see HFS partitions anymore in Windows (if you have such partitions). After rebooting, Windows will no longer mount your HFS OS X volumes because these HFS system drivers are now disabled.

Hope this will help you.

I also discovered last night that the Apple BC drivers was causing the problem.

(I re-installed Win10 and created a Restore Point before loading the BC drivers. After loading the drivers it was not possible anymore.)

I just removed the drivers you mentioned and Win 10 can create Rest P etc. Thank you for the solution!

Another problem I encoutered was that after installing Security Update for MS Visual C++201 (KB2467173) the Apple Cinema monitor lost colour. ...  Any ideas?

Funny though  - with Win 8.1 PRO and BC 5.1 drivers on same Mac Pro 2011, separate HDD, it is possible to create a Restore point....

NS  Win 10 is running smoothly on my old Dell XPS L702X notebook.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hope this will help you.

I also discovered last night that the Apple BC drivers was causing the problem.

(I re-installed Win10 and created a Restore Point before loading the BC drivers. After loading the drivers it was not possible anymore.)

I just removed the drivers you mentioned and Win 10 can create Rest P etc. Thank you for the solution!

Another problem I encoutered was that after installing Security Update for MS Visual C++201 (KB2467173) the Apple Cinema monitor lost colour. ...  Any ideas?

Funny though  - with Win 8.1 PRO and BC 5.1 drivers on same Mac Pro 2011, separate HDD, it is possible to create a Restore point....

NS  Win 10 is running smoothly on my old Dell XPS L702X notebook.

I can't find the Boot Camp driver files mentioned in the above solution. Can you direct me to where they are, i.e., what folder they're in, so I can try deleting them as a possible solution to the restore point problem? Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In reply to my situation, it isnot cause by Apple boot camp but rather , the instability of the installation of Win10 in the begining.  Beside this problem, I also had data pool header error as well , it was intermittnt initial but it keep getting worse and eventually died.. Had to perform a recovery - a reload of win 10 . BE FOREWARNED, it will delete all your other program when it reinstall WIN10. Discovered this after performing the reload and it a pain in the ****, had to search for all my program, license keys, etc. and reload, took me more than 1 week to get everythingback to normal. Although it was working fine now and abke to create a system restore - this upgrade is a nightmare and worse of all window OS upgrade that I had done in the past.. Would NOT recommend upgrading to WIN10 as there is not much new feature that is great enough to justified the trouble encountered in the upgrade. microsoft should make sure that they had a good upgrade procedure and take all these pain away from end user. It a bad experience to a lot of ppl , not only me, judging from the issues raised in the community ... A thumb down for microsoft.. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2021 Views 9,871 Applies to: