Cannot create recovery drive in Windows 10

Yesterday I updated my desktop from Windows 8.1 Home to Windows 10 Home.  Today I tried to create a recovery USB drive following  ..............

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-create-a-recovery-drive-for-reinstalling/58df9c7d-84de-4652-9952-8bac34abc6c5

This fails.  I get the message  "We can't create a recovery drive" with the added info "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive".  I don't get to the screen to select the USB  flash drive.  No indication of what the problem is/was which is most helpful (?)  I have a 64 GB formatted USB drive installed.

Appreciate help in resolving this problem. 

Edit1: Desktop is a dual boot system.   Second drive had Windows 7 Pro installed and I used this with the Insider program via all the windows 10 previews. Now running Windows 10 Pro.   Just tried to create recovery drive for this. Same result as above !??!

Edit 2: Have HP laptop also updated from 8.1 to 10 Home. With this device I can select USB drive (min 32GB).  It starts to write but eventually window appears  saying  "We can't create a recovery drive" with the added info "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive".    That's funny, Just like my desk top !??! 

Edit 3: Repeated HP laptop USB drive creation.   Still not finished after approx 90 minutes - about 1/8th completed.  Tried cancelling and still doing so after 5-10 minutes.  Used Ctl+Alt+Del to end task.  Give up.

Any ideas as to what the problem(s) could be  ??

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2019 Views 91,389 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I tried on desktop PC....

1)  to create a recovery drive with "backup system files to the recovery drive " tick box checked.  On clicking "next", received the window advising that; "we can't create the recovery drive" plus additional text stating; "A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive".  No further information or help forth coming.  Finish

I tried on desktop PC.....

2) to create a recovery drive with "backup system files to the recovery drive" tick box unchecked. On clicking "next", received message requesting; "connect a USB Flash Drive" with additional text stating that the "drive must be able to hold at least 512MB and that everything on the drive will be deleted"

• Install USB flash drive (64GB)
  • Auto detected as H:\RECOVERY and process of creating recovery drive starts;  Preparing,  Formatting and  Copying Utilities

Successfully completes creating a "recovery drive". 

Windows Explorer shows this drive has the following installed:

1. Boot folder
  2. EFI folder
  3. Sources Folder
  4. bootmgr file
  5. bootmgr.efi file

3)  What's the point of a recovery drive with and without system files ?? 

4)  How do I use recovery drive without system files included?? 

5)  I'd like to know why I'm not getting USB message when tick box checked ??.

Appreciate Microsoft help on this with some answers and a solution.

700 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.