Question

Q: Blue Screen Of Death after Window's 10 update on 1/6/2018

Okay people out there here is the story. On Saturday 1/6/18 I was hard at work on my Toshiba Satellite laptop when Windows started to automatically download. Once the download finished my computer started acting like it was shutting down, without me actually shutting it down or Windows asking to restart it. To say the least I was freaking out because the work I was doing wasn't backed up. Then my computer started doing the boot loop fun, black screen small dots going in circles and then I got the Blue Screen of Death ( BSOD). Thankfully my old Toshiba with Windows 7 was still working because I had to spend the next few days trying to figure what the hell was going on. Now cut to the " fixes" I have tried, and I've tried most of them including the ridiculous fixes on Window's website for troubleshooting the BSOD. None of them have worked, it wont let me reboot in safe mode so please dont' suggest that, already tried it. I even went on youtube, and none of their fixes worked. I just want to be able to restart my damn computer without having to go barebones. HAS ANYONE FOUND ANYTHING THAT worked to actually get out f the freakin boot loop because Microsoft has been NO HELP at all. Also, is anyone else ready to file a class action to recoup our losses for a poor product that they never should have forced until they knew it was good to go ? ( kind of joking about the class action thing, but right now I'm all for pitch forks and fire if that will get them to actually fix what they broke and issue an apology ( after fixing this ) HELP, what worked for you and how did you do it, for those who maybe don't know much about computers. HELP HELP HELP. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well options are limited.

You could try powering down the computer.
Unplug it and wait 10 to 20 minutes.

Plug it in again then start it.

See if it boots into the recovery environment. If it does, do the following:

Click System Restore, see if you can go back to an earlier time.

If not, boot into the recovery environment again, then try a startup repair.

If that does not work, boot into the recovery environment, then click 'Go back to previous version of Windows'

If that does not work.

Go to a working computer, download, create a bootable copy, then perform a clean install.

Step 1: How to download official Windows 10 ISO files
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows 10
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

If there are files on the drive you want to recover, see - How to: Perform a Custom install of Windows 10
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...
Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

You can try doing a recovery disk (dvd or USB) on your working computer.
The recovery disk has repair options that may resolve your problem.
Here is a step by step guide: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3140449/windows...

Hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

The following steps outline the steps to fix Windows failing to boot and you can boot to the advanced startup options.
http://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2017/05/fix-win...
Perform the steps one by one.
Sumit
Windows Insider MVP 2018 and Volunteer Moderator
Do not Shoot the messenger

Sorry this didn't help.

Like you, I'm all fire and pitchforks. I didn't want to install the update and in the past, I always waited a few days before installing any just to avoid these kind of problems.

Since a new install seems to be the only solution, I've decided enough is enough and I've just fixed the problem by installing Ubuntu.

Don't even get me started on how bad Win 10 is on a tablet.

Sorry this didn't help.

Mine allowed me only the Blue Screen of Death.  I gave it to an expert fixer who after several days is so far unable to use the restore procedure.

Is it possible that those who creatrd the updates were unwilling to test for bad resilts?

Class action, sign me up.

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

If 2 guys in a dorm room in Bangalore released some software into the world that said "Send us $129 and we will restart your machine", then we call them criminals, but if @Microsoft & @Dell collaborate & call it "latest update", then what do we call it? "Customer Service"?

I just got out of the Dell Cust Service chat  and they offered to fix it for a one-time service charge of $129.

Does anyone know the contact info for the law firm that's running the class action suit?

Sorry this didn't help.

i've had that blue screen of death

cold power resetting gives you the reboot screen to go back to a previous "image" after the 3rd cold power reset

at least win10 has that option

Sorry this didn't help.

None of that worked, tried just about everything and it does the same thing, goes black screen with swirly dots and then the BSOD. I would LOVE it if Microsoft actually did something about this, but since they are not, I have a feeling they may need to worry about what could come next from the customers. Blaming everyone else isn't working for them and it's pissing me off. It's going on 3 weeks with no help whatsoever and that is ridiculous. 

Sorry this didn't help.

There is a post there somewhere about updating the graphics card drivers of you are using a radeon card

I've tried this and, currently, it's worked

But i also clicked the "metered user" box so it may be a coincidence or a combination of the two

Hope that helps

Obviously if it's still an issue it hadn't worked in my case

Sorry this didn't help.

Now that's interesting... One of my machines is W 10 Dell Desktop w Nvidia card to pump 4K HD video signal to the Sharp monitor via HDMI cable. 

I ran the Fall Creator update, & the display came out all garbled and distorted. I could tell there was some image there, with the rasters skewed so it was impossible to tell what it was, & some of the images were serendipitously good. But I thought I'd lost my 4K due to the Windows update. 

I tried this and that and eventually discovered I could plug the monitor end into a 1K HD port and it would work well, and I could see what I was doing. I wondered if Nvidia or Microsoft or both had fiddled the code to cope with the Meltdown & Spectre exploits.

Then I went to Nvidia's site, downloaded and installed the latest drivers. I couldn't tell any difference in the 1K HD port. I reconnected the 4K HD port to the card and what do you know? It worked!

I don't know why this cure worked, nor what went wrong.

There are different modes of error with this Fall Creator update. Some systems have little or no trouble, and just need one more reboot. Some get crippled and hobble along for a while till the video drivers (or something) get fixed. Some can roll back to the previous system recovery point. Some go flat out blue screen with all rollback capability evaporated and nothing to do except reinstall.

(cc) Creative Commons Use with Attribution license. Daniel Brockman. 2018.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,019 Last updated: June 17, 2018 Applies to: