blank screen with blinking cursor at boot to win10

Upgraded to windows 10.

Everything worked great for a few weeks.  Recently turned off the computer and can't boot to windows anymore.  The computer gets stuck on blank screen with blinking cursor.  Will not show any win 10 screens.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2019 Views 21,806 Applies to:

Hi Andrewa,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you in accessing the operating system as it doesn't boot to desktop, we will help you in resolving this issue.

• Does the black screen occurs before the device boot to Sign-in screen or after the Sign-in screen?
  • Have you made any hardware/ software changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

This issue might have occurred due to display drivers for your device.

I suggest you to refer to the below post replied by Sharath Srinivasa on August 7, 2015, try the troubleshooting steps mentioned and check if it helps.

Black screen after upgrading to Windows 10

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance, we will e happy to help you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It is a Gateway PC.

Computer goes thru the initial booting sequence, ie shows hardrive and dvd OK.

Than gets stuck with blinking cursor before any windows screen.  No dancing dots or sign in screen.

Installed turbo tax few days ago.  Everything worked than.  Was almost done with the tax return.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrewa,

Thank you for responding.

As per your description I understand that you are facing black screen issues after installing the turbo tax software.

The software installed might be causing this issue.

• Do confirm us if you are able to boot the device to desktop?
  • Have you tried the troubleshooting steps mentioned?

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to download Windows 10 ISO file, create an installation media from other working computer to perform automatic repair of the computer that you are unable to boot.

Step 1: Download Windows 10 from the below link and create media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2:After creating the tool perform an Automatic Repair.

I would like to inform that, if your Windows 10 is not able to boot or startup, Automatic Repair will come into action and try to diagnose and fix the issue. It will scan system files, registry settings, configuration settings and more and try to fix the problem on its own, automatically.

Perform the Automatic repair:

1. When your computer starts, wait for the manufacturer logo to check the option for boot menu, it will usually be F12.
  2. The boot menu key might differ with each manufacturer. If you are unable to find the boot menu key, you may refer the user manual.  
  3. Restart the computer, when the manufacturer's logo is displayed, keep pressing the Boot menu option key to enter the boot menu and change the boot option to CD\DVD ROM.
  4. After you boot your computer using Windows 10 DVD, a black screen appears with gray text "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD". Press any key.
  5. Select the correct time and Keyboard type.
  6. Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner
  7. Click on Troubleshooting, advanced option and then click Automatic repair.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I created the ISO DVD.  Booted the computer and after the blue windows logo and dancing dots I got a "Windows Setup" box that says:

"It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media.  If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and and click Yes.  If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click NO.

I selected Yes for continuing with the upgrade

My computer went thru the initial boot and got stuck on the blinking cursor again.

I am afraid to select clean installation because I do not want to loose any of my programs (ie Microsoft Office) or any of my data.

Any other suggestions?

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

How can I go back to windows 7?

I don't want to reinstall the windows 7 from backup because it tells me that I will loose all my programs and data.

I am afraid that by clean install of windows 10 from the ISO DVD I will also loose my programs and data.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andrewa,

Thank you for the update.

You can go back to Windows 7 by using recovery option in Windows 10. This is possible only within the 30 days from the date of upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

If it has passed 30 days, unfortunately recovery option cannot be used to go back to previous version until fresh install.

Type Settings in search bar and click it > Update and Recovery > Recovery > Go back to previous OS

Also, if you perform clean install, the name itself says clean. 

Do feel free to write to us in case you have any issues/concerns while working on your computer, we'll be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Niranjan Manjhi

Sorry this didn't help.