Another KB3185614 Installation Problem

I have an AMD-based desktop 

Win 10 Pro

Version 1511

Build 10586.545

Every day it tries to update to the latest build. 

Every day it restarts, gets stuck, and says it is undoing the changes. 

I've tried

1. using settings -> windows update
  2. Running the Troubleshooter 
  3. using the upgrade assistant
  4. clearing the download cache and re-running windows update
  5. downloading the .msu for the update and installing 

So far, no luck. 

If it's any help I've included links to the following:

Event Viewer Log

msinfo32 log

Troubleshooter report - I have run this a couple times with similar results after failed installations.

What should I try next? 

Question Info

Last updated October 29, 2018 Views 1,367 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Sometimes a full uninstallation is required of some 3rd party antivirus product's to resolve this issue, if you want to try that first before continuing on with the rest of this reply, by all means give it a try and see if that does the trick.

If not:

After looking at your logs I see that error code 0x80073712 was set during the failed install of KB3185614:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073712: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3185614).

There is also a problem device shown as a warning repeatedly involving a device driver issue (missing, incompatible, or corrupted):

-It is shown as being associated with the hardware Microsoft Wireless Keyboard- 

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device {C5A047D8-CB5B-40E9-B9E3-316AB06B5A18}\WirelessKeyboardFilter\8&2a490c7c&0&01.

It has become known that certain wireless keyboard's and or keyboard/mouse combo's (yes Microsoft branded also) are causing problems with the more recent updates and the WAU upgrade. If you are using a wireless keyboard substitute a wired keyboard (and mouse too if it's a combo set) then retry the update.

If that is not the case or that does not workout:

Error code 0x80073712 can be caused by many different system problem issues and is very difficult to pin down, if at all. The only thing I am aware of so far that has worked somewhat consistently would be to do a repair or clean install of Windows.

Are you still on Win 10 v.1511 because you want to stay there or have you been waiting for the WAU v.1607 to show up in auto update? The reason I ask is that if you don't already have the physical media, v.1511 is no longer available for download.

(Or, do you have a Recovery Drive? (You would have one only if you had created one yourself after the Win 10 v.1511 installation had been completed)). (If you want more info on the recovery drive topic let me know).

If you are planning to do the update/upgrade to the WAU v.1607 I recommend that you use the Windows10 Upgrade Assistant app at the link supplied below. Click the Get Now button and download (5.47MB) and install the app and then run it, it will scan your PC for compatibility and infections then download, install, and guide you through the entire process. I've used this utility on numerous PC's to upgrade to v.1607 so as to not have to wait for it to show up.

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant

Do Note that the WAU v.1607 is essentially a full new OS install upgrade. It will take from start to finish about 90 minutes or longer depending on the speed of the device and the internet connection. There will be multiple restarts, blue screens, black screens, and perhaps OEM screens that can seem like a hang so be patient and let it finish. Do not attempt any undue inputs nor forced shutdowns and restarts during the process, as some have done, thusly creating their own problems.

I hope this information helps you solve your problem.

If you have more questions or need more help let us know.

Good Luck.

If the information in this reply proves to help solve the problem please mark it as answer so it could then possibly help others.

-Richard

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.