2018-11 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) - Error 0x80070643

2018-11 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) - Error 0x80070643 - This just showed up today. (1/16/2019)  I have tried 4 times and each time it won't install. 

However, when I looked at update history, I see the following:

2018-12 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)  - Successfully installed on 1/12/2019

So why is Windows Update trying to install an older version of the same file?  And if it should not be doing this, how do I make it stop trying?

Thanks,

Sheila

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2019 Views 42,606 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

I'm Independent Advisor and Microsoft MVP, here to help you with your question.

Usually Windows keeps installing same update, when update database is corrupted.

Please try these suggestions:

Open administrative Command Prompt and type following commands one-by-one followed by Enter key.

net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver

Close Command Prompt and see if Windows Updates works fine then.

---------------------------

UPDATE (19/1/19): If you're getting 'System error 5 has occurred, Access is denied' while trying above mentioned steps, you need to first uninstall KB4023057 from Settings app > Apps > Apps & features and reboot the machine. 

Then you can successfully install the update KB4023057 again, using Windows Update feature. This worked out for many users, so you can give it a try!

----------------------------

Hope this helps!

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Helping Windows users, since 2010 · Please remember to mark replies as answers, if they helps!

166 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The fact that it is showing up for so many users might mean it is a known issue. For those who are encountering this, see the marked answers in this thread.

I would say, the marked answers aren't catching the issue. Error 0x80070643 raises due to the fact, that an older version of KB4023057 has been installed already. 

Solution: Uninstall  KB4023057 via the App list, reboot and then it should install. See also the remarks within my blog post: 

Windows 10: Update KB4023057 re-released (1/16/2019)

Blogs: http://www.borncity.com/blog /(Ger) - and - http://borncity.com/win/ (EN)

167 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.