'2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4464218)' keeps failing with error message "0x80073712"

As mentioned in the subject line, this update keeps failing with error message "0x80073712" -- So the exact message:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error Code: (0x80073712)

Even downloaded the update manually and tried installing but manual update failed as well.

Have tried many solutions mentioned over the internet, including the below:

net stop wuauserv 
net stop cryptSvc 
net stop bits 
net stop msiserver 
Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old 
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old 
net start wuauserv 
net start cryptSvc 
net start bits 
net start msiserver 

Ran the sfc /scannow as well, and it repaired the corrupted files which were found but then again no success with installation of update.

Also, at the end -- I finally reset my windows 10 even hoping that whatever the issue was, it would be gone after resetting the PC but no.

To add, this happened on both of my laptops. For one of them, after a few attempts it just automatically finished the update (nothing special I had to do) but for the other laptop i have been struggling since yesterday and sadly, kept getting same results. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2019 Views 3,129 Applies to:
Hi, Rajx3

Try to repair the Operating System completely with the methods of these links, I hope you can solve the problem.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

https://www.intowindows.com/repair-windows-10-i...

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I, too, am damned tired of the run-around on the part of Microsoft.  This needs to be resolved quickly.

2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4464218) - Error 0x8000ffff

has gone on too long.

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem and still no solution.

Plz let me know if you find out how to solve it.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

My lap top successfully downloaded but not my PC waiting for some answers from MS

Sorry this didn't help.

My lap top successfully downloaded but not my PC waiting for some answers from MS

I hope you put those in reverse order because it's my laptop that has the issue... and, from what i understand, most people are experiencing something similar: PCs update but laptops fail again and again.  MS must fux this soon!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi All, I keep having the same error with installing the cumulative update, I have tried to install via the downloaded file from the catalogue, and I keep having install errors, when I use the updater, I have the error message 0x80073712, when I use the downloaded installer, it thinks it is installing, takes a good few minutes, then says the following was not installed....

What is going on? From what I read this is a well known issue, for a good few days, and where is Msoft on this? Very annoying!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having major issues regarding many updates for my PC. It has been ongoing, I have tried a bunch of fixes that most people have already listed they have tried and nothing has worked! What the hell is going on???

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.