• 2017-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4054517) - Error 0x800f081f

Hi,

Getting the title error message when windows tries to install the update. It seems to download, initialises, installs to 100%, then gives the error message. Retried several (8) times, restarted PC etc all to no avail.

Current system info:-

Windows 10 home

Version 1709

O.S Build - 16299.64

I also believe there was another update - Build 16299.98 on Nov 30th that I haven't had?

Regards

Andrew

Question Info

Last updated December 18, 2018 Views 20,020 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I did this exact same thing and it fixed the issue for me. The key is stopping the update service first, then you can delete everything in the SoftwareDistribution folder.

1) Stop the Windows Update process. I pressed the Windows Key, typed "services", clicked Enter. Then I looked for the process, right-clicked on it and stopped it.
2) Then, I entirely deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder located in C:\Windows .
3) Finally, I manually downloaded the update from the Microsoft Update catalog website. You can click this linkfor the KB054517. Just double-check the exact version you need, depending on your computer and OS requirements. I needed the cumulative version for Windows 10 x64. 
There are versions for Windows Server, for x86 architecture, and updates that don't seem to be the cumulative version Windows Update was downloading. Make sure you choose the one that's right for you.

Just registered here to try to help out in case you haven't tried these. Good luck.

Thanks so much.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I solved my issue!!! I was stuck getting ready every reboot and restart. Stuck at 99% (dont remember the error code). Tried manual update, tried troubleshooter, tried reinstalling windows... here is my solution! 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7jcl1w/december_windows_10_cumulative_updates_are_out/dr7aytu/  

1. download manual update file (found here https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4054517)  
2. turn off internet  
3. delete everything inside "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" folder  
4. turn windows update to manual (run, services.msc, scroll to windows update, right click properties, change to manual)  
5. Double click your manual update file    
Then it will update! If it goes through, you will see a % during the "getting windows ready" screen and you can change update from manual back to automatic once it restarts.   

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.