1709 Update hangs and fails on clean computer

I have done a clean install of Windows 10 Home 1607.  I then let all the updates offered by Windows Update install but added nothing else.  When I then try to update to 1709 the computer always hangs in the final stage somewhere around 75% (I got to 82% today).  If I force the computer to restart it reverts back to the Windows 10 version I started with.  The error message says that the installation failed in the second boot phase but given that the computer hung and I had to restart it (after waiting 30 minutes) that really does not tell me anything. 

Earlier I did the same thing starting from a clean install of Windows 10 1507.  Same hang at around the same point.

Earlier I tried a clean install of Windows 1709.  Same hang at about the same point but if I force a restart the update completes.  However some Windows features are missing e.g. the Advanced Recovery options, so not the result I want (this does not happen with 1507 or 1607).

The computer seems fine in normal operation.  It's an Acer Aspire Z5600 all-in-one from the Windows 7 era with an old-style BIOS.  The original hard drive has been replaced with an SSD.  The graphics diver is Intel(R) G45/G43 Express chipset (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1).  In the successful install of 1507 and 1607 this display driver is not installed until after the update completes whereas the 1709 update does install the driver, judging by the changes in display.  Could this be the problem or is it a red herring?

So it looks as if I can do clean installs of Windows 10 versions up to and including 1603.  But 1709 hangs in the final stage, whether applied as an update or as a clean install.  Suggestions?     

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Alan,

As what was previously mentioned on this thread, the challenges that you are having when you try to upgrade the Windows 10 to the most recent build may have something to do with the hardware of your computer. Seeing that you have Windows 10 1607 on your computer, we can conclude that Windows 10 is indeed compatible with your computer. However, certain builds will have different system requirements to be properly installed. This is why we also highly recommend that you still contact the manufacturer of your computer to know more about the builds of Windows 10 that you can install on your computer. See the links below to know more about downloading and installing Windows 10 (latest build which is 1709):

Download Windows 10

At this point, aside from contacting the manufacturer, we also encourage you to submit your issue using the Feedback Hub. You can either vote on an existing submission or submit a new issue. When you submit a feedback item, we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help us determine what's causing it and address it. The Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please visit frequently to see the status of your feedback  items.  

In order to submit new feedback, please follow these steps:  

1. Type "Feedback Hub" on Cortana or Search bar, then launch the app.  

2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.  

3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant and choose an appropriate category and subcategory. 

4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.  

5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.  

6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.  

7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).  

8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.  

9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (It will look like https://aka.ms/<uniquelink>). 

Don’t hesitate to inform us if you have other concerns.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Freddrick, I have already explained that Acer, the manufacturer of my computer, is not going to want to help.  It's just Microsoft who might be able to help and they really should because when we were all encouraged to take the free update to Windows 10 there was no mention that this situation might arise and Microsoft make no contingency for it.  Anyone in my situation who has a computer that continually tries to update itself and always fails faces great frustration and a huge waste of their time.

I cannot believe that the Feedback Hub can successfully monitor any problem that breaks the internet connection?  Can it really?  Because when you are doing one these big version updates you are not connected to the internet for a long time.  What I have done is to tick the box at the bottom left of the starting Window that says "Make it better" or something like.  So Microsoft are free to gather all the information they want to find out why my updates are not working.  But I would like to participate in this myself, actively.  I made a suggestion about setting up a dual boot so I can examine the logs exactly at the point where the installation hangs but I have not received any support for this idea.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hooper_J, I had an idea that you could set up a dual-boot system and use the working version of Windows it to examine the logs on the other version where the upgrade fails exactly as they are at the time of failure.  But nobody has commented on whether this is a good or a bad idea.   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this problem for some months now and like most people tried pretty well everything to get my install to pass 82% without locking up the computer all to no avail. I chanced upon a thread yesterday that referred to problems caused by wireless cards. My computer is an old one a Packard Bell IPOWER X30 but I was so fed up with the daily hassle of trying to sorting this that I thought go for it. The quoted fix was to removed the existing wireless card and update using a direct connection but in the end I purchased a TP-Link USB wireless adapter. I removed the existing wireless card from the computer and installed the USB adapter. It took a while but 3 hours later the computer has upgraded successfully. I'm thoroughly disappointed with Microsoft for putting me through this and giving me no option but to sort it myself I found the solution by chance but as you can imagine I'm pretty happy now.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well that's very useful to know, jackLamb1.  Can you tell me where to find the thread that helped you?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/fall-creator-update-fails-to-install-at-81/60a5cf74-493f-4433-9187-063b48458edf?page=4

responses on page 3-4 of the thread

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having exactly the same problem on an acer aspire m3420. I to am very dissapointed with microsoft. Like Alan I am now stuck with a bad operating system that I didn't ask for and can't shut off.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We'd like to ask few questions so we can isolate your concern properly.

• What are the steps you have done so far?
  • What's the exact error message you're getting?
  • Did you read the recommended thread provided by jacklamb1?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have taken all the steps that Alan B has taken including a clean install of windows 1607, OS Build 1493.2035. Like Alan B my computer is an Acer aspire m3420. Acer has not upgraded the bios (P01-A0, 4/17/2012) since 2012. I get no error messages....the update hangs up with a blank (black screen) and after a manual reboot hangs again at 82% and after second manuel reboot it restores 1607. This long process goes on everyday sometimes more than once. I've gotten better at shutting off updates during the time I need to use the computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just removed my wireless lan card and it solved the problem. I hope Alan B is reading this as I suspect it will work for him also.  After fighting with this problem for 2 weeks it turned out to be a hardware problem after all. Thanx to all who were helping with this.  

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2019 Views 1,233 Applies to: