Question

Q: Windows update stuck in continuous loop

Hi

2 days ago Windows of its own accord installed a major update. The update took an age to process and now it is stuck in a continuous loop that doesnt resolve by rebooting or booting in safe mode. Any ideas how to fix this without having to pay for a reboot stick?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Daire,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask if you are able to boot to the desktop. If yes, then follow the methods provided below:

Method 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.

1. Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
  2. Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
  3. Select “Windows Update” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Method 2: Manually reset the Windows update components.

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6. After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

9 people were helped by this reply

Hi and many thanks for your prompt reply. I should have mentioned that Windows is not able to start at all. When I boot, the spinner starts, then the screen flickers and the spinner begins again, the screen flickers... on a continuous loop. unfortunately, I cannot get to a login screen.

Sorry this didn't help.

26 people were helped by this reply

Hi Daire,

Thank you for getting back to us with the requested information. We apologize for the delay in response.

As you are facing issues with restart loop, perform a Power Drain by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Shut down the Computer.
  2. Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
  3. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
  4. Connect the power source and start the computer.
  5. After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Sorry this didn't help.

26 people were helped by this reply

Hi

Tried this and unfortunately my laptop still does not boot. Would be grateful for any other suggestions please.

Sorry this didn't help.

8 people were helped by this reply

Hi Daire,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We are sorry that you are still facing the issue. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

1. Go to the Microsoft software download website and create Windows 10 installation media.
  2. Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
  3. On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer.
  4. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot>Advanced Options.
  5. Click on Startup Repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

7 people were helped by this reply

To fix this problem, you need to update your agent so that it can communicate with servers again. There are several updates that need to be installed, so I have written a friendly wizard you can run to install them. You can download the wizard using the links below:

https://thewindowscentral.com/windows-update-stuck/

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Rahul,

When I have used the media creation tool to create a bootable disk, THE ONLY option that worked was to select a restore point.  But when I get my desktop back and complete the update to the Creators Edition, the machines still get infected by another forced security update that hangs them up for as long as days again with the infinite please wait with spinning dots. On other machines, the Creators update causes our users to wait about 30 minutes to shut down their machines and or it'll take about 30 minutes for them to boot up and say they can complete a forced update.  The update troubleshooter has never found or fixed this issue.  

Rahul, please pass this on to MS.  PLEASE STOP FORCING UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING EVEN THOUGH IT PROBABLY FEELS PRETTY GOOD TO PRETEND THAT YOU DO.  IT'S IMPOSSIBLE FOR ANY COMPANY OF ANY SIZE TO ANTICIPATE ALL THE VARIOUS CONFIGURATIONS OF HARDWARE AND NETWORK DIFFERENCES THEIR USERS COULD HAVE.  YOUR "SOLUTION" IS 100 TIMES WORSE THAN THE VIRUS OR CYBER CRIME PROBLEM YOU ARE FANTASIZING YOU'RE SOLVING.  You have effectively become worse than a virus. It's a crime to steal millions of hours of people's lives as their waiting to use their machines and postponing medical treatment teams to wait for the machine to turn off or to turn back on as it's completing tasks.   

I have 80 win 10 machines that our users rent from us and they are not on any network and I do not have physical access to them.  I cannot reinstall windows and all our software on them as a solution.  There are 3 million hits on the google search criteria, windows 10 update stuck.  There are likely hundreds of people having this issue who haven't taken it upon themselves to create a website for the issue you are exclusively to blame.  

Please stop this useless practice of forcing "security" updates.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Sorry this didn't help.

183 people were helped by this reply

okay...how are you supposed to access websites and get to the desktop when the PC is CONTINUALLY RESTARTING and not allowing anything to happen?

My PC has been restarting itself for the last 24 hours, it'll get to the Motherboard Manufacturer logo, then go black, then "trying to restore to previous update" then restart again.

Sorry this didn't help.

56 people were helped by this reply

seems like putin or un or the bulgarians have figured how to bust microbrainsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

12 people were helped by this reply

I have samsung notebook  stuck in bios 

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 61,645 Last updated: July 18, 2018 Applies to: