Windows update error 0x80240017

I have recently installed Windows 10 Enterprise on my workstation. Whenever I click on All Settings > Update & Security and then click on update Windows, I get over 100 language packs that will download and fail to install with an error message of: 0x80240017.

I only have English language installed. Why are these other language packs trying to install and how do I stop this from happening?

In addition, 2 other updates continue to download, but don't install with the same error message as above:

DirectX graphic tool Feature on Demand for X64

Insider Hub Feature on Demand X64

Original title: Windows 10 updates

|
Hi Maurice,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. 
We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble this has caused.

This issue could have occurred due to the corrupt Windows Update Components on your system.

Try to follow these methods below, to rectify your issue:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run “Windows Update troubleshooter” to diagnose the exact issue.

a. Press “Windows key + w” from the keyboard.
b. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the search box.
c. Select “View all” option from the left panel. d. Then select “Windows Update” option from the list and follow the onscreen instructions.

Method 2:

Reset Windows update components from the following link and check.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
Note: Steps mentioned for windows 8/8.1 will also work fine with Windows 10 insider preview.

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried both methods suggested on the day of the response. (There were errors trying to register some of the files mentioned in the solution.)

The "fix" worked for a few days, however, I manually checked for updates yesterday and the exact same issue has returned. I am getting over 100 language pack downloads, a Direct X graphic tools feature and an Insider Hub Feature on demand, that download but fail to install with an Error 0x80240017, as before.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Maurice,

We regret for the inconvenience and we understand the frustration when things don't go the way they supposed to. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

Please follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1

Try to place the computer in a Clean Boot state and check if there are any third party application/software to be causing the issue.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: As the article is designed for Windows 8.1, Windows 8 and Windows 7. Unlike launching step for 'System Configuration', options and steps to Clean Boot are same for Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Also, verify that you have disabled/uninstalled any other third party real-time antimalware products that were installed on your PC, to check if it helps to make any positive impact on the situation.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done.

Method 2:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps: 

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker in Windows 10

Method 3:

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines: 

1. Press Windows key + X.

2. Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter

Additionally, since you are using an Enterprise edition of Windows, I suggest you to post your concern in the Technet Forum, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on such issues. I suggest you to refer to the following link to reach out to them and post your query there: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Method 3 worked for me.  Thank you.

Users should be aware that these commands take many minutes to complete, and that there is no progress indication until a single line in the command window, only after 20% complete.  Then nothing else until 100% complete. 

Be patient.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 14, 2021 Views 13,509 Applies to: