Windows Defender Error code: 0x80070426

When my PC starts I get this error code and windows defender will not start.

I tried sfc /scannow it said it found some issues but cannot repair them all, I also tried repairing under safe mode.

This happened after upgrading to build 1607

Hi,

We understand that you get the error code, 0x80070426  when you try to use the Windows defender. Also that the SFC scan was unable to fix it even in the safe mode. That being said, please try to do a DISM scan and check if it helps. Ensure that the computer is connected to the internet when you do so.

Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a new command line tool that you can use to service a Windows image or prepare a Windows PE image. The DISM tool replaces the Package Manager (pkgmgr.exe), PEimg, and Intlcfg tools. DISM consolidates the functionality found in those three tools, as well as delivers new functionality to improve the experience of offline servicing.

Please follow the given steps to run a DISM scan:

1) Press Windows + x on your keyboard.

2) Select Command prompt (Admin) to open Administrator Command prompt.

3) In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If the issue still persists, please try to run a clean boot and check if it helps.

Putting your system inClean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

DISCLAIMER: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Please get back to us with the necessary details so that we can resolve your issue at the earliest.

Thank you.

Have a good day!

118 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Try the steps I gave here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/update-for-windows-10-kb3081704-error-0x80070643/97a1bafe-3baa-467a-bb23-2dc7d9e91932

Sometimes I rant about nothing and everything on twitter @joeyndlovu.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, I was unable to check if this worked, after the update (and after I posted this question) I saw my Killer network drivers were out of date, after uninstalling the old drivers windows did not let me instal the new drivers, also access to windows device manager was denied and I am the only user on the PC and admin, I had to reformat my drive and there are no issues now, luckily windows 10 was on a USB the reformat was easy and quick.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

We understand that you have format the PC and now the issue is resolved any we appreciate your efforts to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, please kindly give us a feedback regarding the issue using the feedback app. To open feedback app, please follow the below steps:

1. In the Search bar, type Windows Feedback.

2. Select the Windows Feedback icon and hence start the feedback app to provide your feedback.

Thank you.

Have a good day!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also have this issue, and have been working on it for a number of hours. I'm replying to this particular post however, as I notice the original poster @Misterz100 has "killer network drivers" .. I too have the same, and am using a Gigabyte Gaming-5 motherboard.

I have noticed that if I reset the motherboard bios to its default settings, I get one good boot, with no errors at all. when I reboot again however, the errors reappear. (I can reset bios to default again, and get a clean boot).

My Windows defender service states that it is running, however it is using an increased amount of memory. It can be found under "processes" in the task manager, under "Anitimalware service executable" which points to "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe"

The Windows Defender service is also set to "Automatic" in the services application, and the Windows Defender Network Inspection Service, is set to "Manual".

As per the original post, these issues started after being forcibly upgraded to build 1607. At first I couldn't even log in to my system, as it just came up with a black screen. I managed to resolve this by going in to safe mode, and found a program that set to run at start, which had become incompatible after the update. That update seemingly removed all of my restore points as well.

I have tried your suggestions here with the dism.exe, and sfc. 

I am hoping that I don't have to resort to the extreme of reinstalling from scratch.  Do you have any further suggestions?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional:

After leaving my system on last night, I woke up this morning and tried to use it. all I seemed to get was a black screen, it took my mouse about 5 minutes to wake up, and I noticed that my disk activity light was flashing non-stop.

Looking at the event viewer, there are thousands of entries similar to these, The Error source is ESENT;

%1 (%2) %3An attempt to read from the file "%4" at offset %5 for %6 bytes failed after %10 seconds with system error %8: "%9".  The read operation will fail with error %7.  If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.

%1 (%2) %3An attempt to write to the file "%4" at offset %5 for %6 bytes failed after %10 seconds with system error %8: "%9".  The write operation will fail with error %7.  If this error persists then the file may be damaged and may need to be restored from a previous backup.

%1 (%2) %3Resource failure simulation %4 is permitted.

%1 (%2) %3Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error %4.

There is also a repeating windows error reporting sourced message that repeats itself, which contains;

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: MpTelemetry
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: Windows Defender (77BDAF73-B396-481F-9042-AD358843EC24)
P2: 4.10.14393.0
P3: TimeOut
P4: 1.1.13103.0
P5: fixed
P6: 4 / 2049+
P7: 5 / not boot
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 
Attached files:
These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\NonCritical_Windows Defender_da50246d7863d28dbaf52084df1b328a3fce1d_00000000_0a9fad00
Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 7f9121bd-82b4-11e6-8423-74d435ee4930
Report Status: 4100
Hashed bucket: 

In the notifications pane, there was a notice that Windows Defender had performed a scan at 2am, around an hour or so after I wrote my previous comment. The previously mentioned errors began to occur at 03:52 and were preceded by 3 errors related to search, which started at 03:31

The protocol host process 9776 did not respond and is being forcibly terminated {filter host process 0}. 

Looking at the System log, also starting around that time (03:35) there are two errors repeated every 10 minutes or so;

The Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant service terminated with the following error: 
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

The Windows License Manager Service service terminated with the following error: 
Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

And a lot of errors similar to the following which are relevant to DCOM, and backgroundtaskhost.exe, but with different apps.. ;

Unable to start a DCOM Server: CortanaUI.AppXtpp90jhw9p0njjb85kvhxpppgrqfp117.mca as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
"1450"
Happened while starting this command:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\backgroundTaskHost.exe" -ServerName:CortanaUI.AppXy7vb4pc2dr3kc93kfc509b1d0arkfb2x.mca

The first DCOM error was at 03:45:

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4}. The error:
"1450"
Happened while starting this command:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe -Embedding

And finally, this repeatedly shows up with different event IDs .. but doesn't appear to be helpful at all;

The description for Event ID 481 from source Windows Error Reporting cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

I've saved my event log for the past 12 hours, so if there's anything else I can provide that'll be great. In the meantime, I'm going to continue trying to fix this, and will post anything I come up with.

Additional: Resetting the Bios is not working to get rid of the originally noticed symptom (error window). It must have just been a coincidence that it happened 3 times.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

A bit more troubleshooting, and I appear to have a solution;

I followed the steps in;

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-may-freeze-after-installing-the/5a60d75d-120a-4502-873c-8bfec65c82d0?page=1&auth=1

And also tried updating Intel Drivers, and a registry edit as per this reddit thread;

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4vufpo/windows_10_fully_freezes_after_anniversary_update/

But nothing seemed to have fixed the issue.

None of the windows backup systems, or recovery systems seemed to be working, so I used a 3rd party tool to create an entire clone of my drive, and also backed up all of my documents seperately. I then created a Windows 10 Installation USB drive using the tool found at;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

From there, I booted in to windows, ran the installer off the USB, and told it to do an "Upgrade" .. it took around 3 hours to perform this. I am currently running Version 1607 (14393.0) which is what I was running before the "upgrade".

It seems that my error message has gone away, there are still some errors in the event viewer, but not nearly as many. The only thing I appear to have lost (Other than 24 hours of time) is my drivers, which I had downloaded in preparation for this anyway.

If I don't provide further updates from here, it's because everything has continued working. Hopefully my troubleshooting can assist someone else in getting this poorly deployed update to work for them.

Regards,

Kharn

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I received error code: 0x80070426 after every restart. Tried all the recommended procedures, but still encountering the same problem.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

There are a few factors that may cause the error 0x80070426 to appear. To isolate your concern, we would like you to answer the following questions:

• Are you having the same exact issue with the original poster?
  • What specific task are you trying to perform?

Looking forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply.

I finally was able to isolate the problem to an adware or spyware that was not install by me. I forgot the exact name of the adware because I didn't take note of it before I uninstalled it. But the trace can be found in the Startup Menu from System Configuration.

The procedure is to start the system using a clean start procedure provided above by another user. follow by turning on the startup application one by one to identify the culprit.

Too bad that I did not wrote down everything I did to share with everyone because I was in a hurry to get this problem solved on my computer that I had taken 2 days to troubleshoot.

One thing that is easily identifiable when one look at the names in the startup menu, it contains the letters "ad" related to advertisement. I google the name of the software and it said that it is not harmful, but it is because it acts as another anti-virus program that disable Windows Defender, and that is why we were not able to update Windows Defender definition files.

Once again THANKS!

Regards,

Hans C S Ko

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2024 Views 28,876 Applies to: