Windows apps won't open on Windows 10

Hey all,

Lately I had an update that went wrong for some reason (computer became very unstable) after which I restored the previous build. Now everything works fine again, except for all win10 apps. For example: when I open calculator, it just flashes on my screen and that's it. I can't view photos anymore too.

First of all, I tried changing permissions to certain fils but that didn't help.

I've tried what's listed here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-photos/window-10-apps-wont-open/5f1f4a86-5374-40a1-bf2b-8b8cd9beaf3f but it didn't help.

I've also responded to this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-update/windowsupdate80240025-while-checking-for-updates/b024b88c-e45e-408a-b7fb-3df946d5002a because I couldn't locate the folders named there. I didn't get a response however (this thread is already old). 

Updating Windows 10 first didn't work and gave an error (hence my post on the thread previous mentioned) but this morning I tried updating again and updates were installed correctly according to win10. I'm using the 64-bit version of win10, build 10240.

So I'm for now out of options and it's time to ask for help here. It's pretty annoying because my laptop now misses a lot of functionalities. If you need any more info just ask.

Hi,

To assist you better, answer the below questions

1. From which user account have you logged in, Is it a Microsoft account, local account or administrator account?

2. Are you getting any error message/code? if yes, then provide us the complete error message/code

3. Does the same issue persist by logging into a different Microsoft account on your system?

4. Have you installed any third party security software on your computer?

Meanwhile, I suggest you to try the below method and check if it helps

Method 1: App Troubleshooter 

App Troubleshooter is an automated tool which we have developed to address a number of known issues that can prevent the Apps from running properly. This troubleshooter automatically fixes some issues, including suboptimal screen resolution, incorrect security or account settings etc. You can click on this link to download and run the Apps troubleshooter.

I suggest to refer to the below Microsoft article to run the Windows 10 apps troubleshooter.

Method 2: Clean Boot.

Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

Follow the article How to perform a clean boot in Windows in the below link and check if it helps:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

NOTE: Once you perform clean boot do refer to the section How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting to boot the computer in normal mode.

Hope the information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

1. My account is the only account on my laptop. It's a local account and it has administrator rights.

2. I'm not getting any error message. The apps open and they immediately close again, in a flash. To me, it looks like for some reason I don't have the rights to open the apps. It doesn't seem like they are corrupted or anything.

3. I don't have the same issue when i log into a different account (I just made it) on my computer.

4. I don't have any third-party security software installed on my computer.

I've earlier already tried the App Troubleshooter and it didn't help.

I'll perform the clean boot in a few hours (I don't have the time for it right now).

EDIT:

I've performed the clean boot and it didn't help. As I said before, I'm pretty sure my problem has something to do with not having rights to open the windows apps. My problem is that I don't know how to regain these rights.

As mentioned in the other thread, in registry editor: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ , 'Policies' isn't listed. I'm suspecting that my problem has something to do with this, but I'm not sure.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for posting back.

I would like to inform you that, An administrator/Local account is a user account that lets you make changes that will affect other users. Administrators can change security settings, install software and hardware, and access all files on the computer. Administrators can also make changes to other user accounts.

Microsoft account is the combination of an email address and a password that you use to sign in to services like Outlook.com, OneDrive, Windows Phone, or Xbox LIVE. If you use an email address and password to sign in to these or other services, you already have a Microsoft account—but you can also sign up for a new one at any time. Using Microsoft Account you will be able to access all the apps and other programs that requires you to login with the Microsoft Account. You can Create multiple number of user account according to your requirements.

I suggest you to Sign in to the Microsoft account on your Windows 10 to again the access on all the Microsoft services.

Refer the below article to Sign in to the Microsoft account.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/5a6ade6f-e1fd-3a27-bb99-3b71286549a9/sign-in-to-a-microsoft-account 

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, we will be glad to assist you. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ashwin,

This does not help my problem. I don't want to create a Microsoft account, my current account is perfectly fine. I want my app problem to be solved. Creating a new account only masks the problem, it doesn't solve it.

Can't you help me with the registry editor, of which I was talking about? I still think my problem has something to do with having permission/rights to access the apps.

I don't want any nonsense about a Microsoft account which I can perfectly find and set up myself. I want you to help me solve my problem, or refer me to someone who can. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So, are you able to help me or do you know someone who is? It's been a week now Ashwin... 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 1, 2018 Views 212 Applies to: