Windows 10 will not update/UEFI firmeware isn't supported

Afternoon Microsoft Peeps,

I attempted to run Windows 10 Update Assistant today and failed, Pictures below to explain.

error received: Windows 10 will not run on this PC The disk layout for UEFI firmware is not supported.

Current Build:

Latest Build (not installing):

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Disk Mgmt doesn't show you have a UEFI install. 

If your PC is UEFI-capable for the new BIOS replacement because you see UEFI, CSM or Legacy BIOS settings choices when you Access the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC , now would be a good time to start fresh with a Clean Install Windows 10, turning off CSM or Legacy BIOS settings in the UEFI firmware, booting the media provided as a UEFI device, deleting all partiitions down to Unallocated Space. 

If you'll stick with the tools and methods in the link you'll have the best install possible, one which has no complaints while the in-place Upgrade (which most tech enthusiasts would never run in the first place) has had a problem posted here every few minutes for over a year now. 

If you don't even have UEFI at all and/or you want to keep an the existing install, then I'd run the Media from Windows to avoid the buggy Upgrade app.  You can refer to these steps for Overcoming Windows 10 Upgrade Failures which work the same for version Updates.  Doing this resolved most problems with versions Updates via Windows Update and should do the same for the Upgrade advisor.

----------------------------------
I am a volunteer and not Microsoft.

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Wow this seems extremely involved for novice.  I guess my first question, why is it my brand new computer is not capable of just running the update?  I am worried I am going to do this "clean" install and end up having a computer not working at all. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Gary, if you don't want to do the Clean Install then that's fine.  I just offered it because most tech enthusiasts would never run a Factory Install which is larded with bloatware that throttles Windows, and duplicate utilities that interfere with better versions built into the OS.  You can mitigate some of this by turning off all the freeloaders at Startup and using only built-in Defender from the Windows 10 Install Integrity Checklist.

But it's that same bloated, corrupt install that's probably causing the Upgrade assistant to misread your install as UEFI when its not.  This begs the question if you have a UEFI BIOS or not.  If so its strange the factory would ship a modern PC that doesn't have the latest UEFI install since it is in the middle of about a ten year period replacing BIOS now.  I thought you might want to kill two birds with one stone by doing the superior Clean Install while also turning on the full features of the new UEFI replacement for BIOS.  More about that here:  UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS - YouTube

But if not and you want the Anniversary Update then the best way is to download it from Media Creation Tool as either an ISO or bootable media which can be used for repairs or to later Clean Install.  Then double click the ISO (if you choose that) to Mount it, or open the media from the desktop, right  click setup to  perform a repair upgrade using the Windows 10 ISO file  which is the best fix for a version update failing to install for any reason.  You can even bring it close to a Clean install by choosing to Save Nothing and it will leave out the factory bloatware.  Just be sure to back up your files and have your program installers handy. 

I hope this helps.  Feel free to continue to ask back questions. 

Over 100,000 helped in forums for 10 years. I don't quit for those who are polite and cooperative.

Windows MVP 2010-20

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry if it sounded like I was arguing with you.  I am new to Windows, was previously a Mac person.  Last time I used Windows was Windows  XP and I am sure that had BIOS not UEFI.  I am just unsure on how to make this work and worried I will break my expensive computer.

I attempted to do the Windows Reinstall via the DVD provided with computer and that failed. picture below.  Again this UEFI is stopping me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Use the latest Anniversary Upgrade edition now in Media Creation Tool  to make the bootable media or download the ISO, open the media or double click ISO to mount, right click Setup to Run as Administrator. 

I also said to optimize the factory install following Overcoming Windows 10 Upgrade Failures so it has a better chance to run the Update and yields significantly better performance.  But I see AVG is still installed.

I would definitely uninstall AVG (and MacAfee) which cause only problems and hasn't been recommended by anyone in forums for 7 years since it bloated up and started causing issues.  This will turn on built-in Defender which is perfectly adequate. 

I will continue to help as long as you cooperate and don't continue ignoring steps as though I never even wrote them out for you. 

But again, you have so many things working against you with a Factory Install.  This is the reason no tech enthusiast would ever run one.  So you'll be rid of all these problems and have the best install in the world if you do the Clean Install Windows 10

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

I have same problem Bios is set to UEFI, This was a clean install from factory getting same error. Spoke to Dell support going to make usb backup and leave alone for now. Running 1511 that just had an update Aug 1st so IDK why this update isn't working? Backing off for now.

Sorry this didn't help.

I went ahead and followed your instructions, and this also does not work.

I created the USB media and when launched I get the same message.

Sorry this didn't help.

Donald-

Confirm you are following the illustrated steps in Clean Install link i posted earlier , using the latest media via tool.

When you boot this media correctly, choose UEFI version of stick or DVD, Delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space, then Click Next this should overcome any UEFI error. If not I need to see your Disk Mgmt. and UEFI firmware settings.

I need confirmation from both cases here that you're using the latest media and following exactly the steps I gave for your scenario, so if necessary I can elevate this issue via MVP channel directly to the developers.  

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

Please go back to my first post, follow the link to access the UEFI or BIOS firmware to look for the settings I asked you about.

Windows MVP 2010-20

Sorry this didn't help.

I said I am leaving it be for now. Don't care about the anniversary install/ I was just saying I have same problem as the other user, so he knows someone else is having this issue. I will eventually do a clean install ( windows is stable and working perfectly ATM). I'm wondering if a bios update might fix this? Idk? it is ironic though that we both have brand new comps from factories and this is an issue? I have a Dell Alienware system. Watching to see how many others have this issue.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2020 Views 18,310 Applies to: