Windows 10 updates during active hours while I'm actively typing in a file.

Three times in one afternoon. Verified active hours after first time. 2nd time 1 hour later while typing a letter, 3rd time 1/2 hour after while editing a photo. 

Active hours is NOT preventing restarts. Why?

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2019 Views 5,319 Applies to:

Hi Trey,

Active hours let your PC knows when you usually use your device. When a restart is necessary to finish installing an update, it won't automatically restart your PC during active hours. To isolate your concern, we'd like to ask if you have made any changes to your device prior to this issue?

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I specifically put in my issue the computer DID restart during active hours. We double checked the time listed for active hours. The only changes that have been made are whatever Microsoft is doing in the background. There are other help areas that state if you are working on a file, even outside active hours, it won't restart. My frustration is DURING active hours WHILE a file was open and being edited it just restarted. The 3rd time during a photo edit it took 1/2 hour to apply the update before it finally allowed us back in.

As many people have stated, if the computer would ask if it can restart (like it used to do) before a restart, that would solve the problems. I am NOT the first person to post something like this, others have had restarts during the supposed active hours period with the home version. This is very frustrating for the end users.

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

To assist you with this concern, kindly visit the link for you to schedule the updates properly: Schedule updates using active hours in Windows 10

Let us know if you have further concerns.

Sorry this didn't help.

Still not reading my problem. THE COMPUTER WAS IN ACTIVE HOURS WHEN IT UPDATED.

Re-reading the article does not answer the question nor solve the problem. We had already set the active hours. The computer restarted during active hours. We have verified it was in active hours and they were set. We were working on a file when it restarted.

The computer is not supposed to update during active hours and did. The second part is we were working on a file during the active hours, and it just restarted. It's absurd that Windows for the home edition controls the restart then says 'well, it won't restart during active hours if you would just use that'.

Again, this is not the only thread talking about active hours and restarts, others have complained about this as well.

33 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

We apologize for the misunderstanding. We would like to recommend you to visit this thread that was answered by one of our Community members and Microsoft Insider named Sumit Dhiman2, and see if this helps you with resolving the issue regarding the Windows Updates restarting your computer inside Active Hours: Windows 10 Active Hours: Never Restart Without Explicit Instruction

Kindly keep us posted as we are eager to know what worked for you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

How do you stop it from updating period during active hours?  I live in Italy where the internet is straight garbage and if windows decides to self update during my active hours I literally can't do anything online while it is happening.  I get the forcing updates, whatever, but at least give your users who are paying for this dumb crap complete control of when it happens.  If I say I'm active from 5 pm when I get home from work till midnight, then windows updater shouldn't even check for updates during that time, why, because I'm doing something and I don't need you forcing me to do something I don't want and it completely shuts me down for the half an hour to  an hour of my free time.  That's if it is a small update.  

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This is literally the worst solution to the problem. I have to set my internet connection as a metered connection to prevent windows from restarting without my consent? How about you just fix active hours so it works properly, or better yet, don't restart unless you get confirmation from me.

31 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

All my work is gone. 

Updates during the active hours. Why? God, tell me WHYYYYY?
MS Windows 10 does not change from the previous ones, ex. win95 updates( I am so bored to wait more than twenty years for some solution of this simple trouble.

God save the Microsoft(

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.