Windows 10 update stuck at 0%

Hello everyone..... I have already upgraded my desktop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.After that I am trying to download updates from Microsoft. It shows "Updates are available", but  the download stuck at 0% .Please tell me a solution to overcome this issue..

Question Info

Last updated June 13, 2019 Views 20,456 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Kumaran,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

This issue may occur either due to software conflicts or if antivirus is blocking the installation.

Try the below methods and check: 

Method 1:

I would suggest you to restart the computer and check the issue.

Method 2:

If the issue still remains, try manually reset the Windows Updates Components once again and then reinitiate the Windows Update process.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates quickly. 

Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it and then restart the computer.

6.After restarting the computer, now retry to install Windows Updates.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your reply Annu....

I have done everything as per your method. But I cannot rename the Software Distribution folder...It says "Access is denied".....

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem. Tried Method 2 but net stop wuauserv did not stop wuasserv. Did try the rename but had the same result that "Access is denied...".  Any further suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, having the exact same problem with Kumaran and mt33. Had the same "access denied" when renaming SoftwareDistribution and also was unable to stop the wuauserv process. Any way to "get access" and successfully stop wuauserv?

Sorry this didn't help.

I started following your directions.  After I entered the first command, net stop wuauserv I got the response "The service is not responding to the control function.  More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186."

So I entered that, and got again "The service is not responding to the control function."

Sorry this didn't help.

Follow up comment to my previous reply:

My exact same problem has been fixed!

Apparently even after it shows 0% for about 1 and a half days, it WAS actually doing something (I guess preparing or even downloading the updates already, but it totally gave us the false impression that it is stuck at 0%) and there apparently isn't any technical problem at all! I guess I just couldn't see what it was doing behind the scenes.

Have you guys checked the details for the downloads? If some updates have the message "waiting for installation" or some sort, that means the updates have already been downloaded, even if the bar is still at 0%! I realized that when some of my KB----- updates have this message, yet other downloadable updates still show the "downloading" message.

My Windows 10 update progress bar started properly increasing from 0% only by TODAY, and I was surprised to see it already at the 50% bar already once I have switched on the computer. I waited for the download to finish and it finished properly, afterwards it applied its updates and asked me to schedule my restart of the computer. After restarting, it said all updates were successful!

I suggest those who can't seem to fix the problem (like me initially) to just, even though it's hard to believe, wait for a little longer and see what happens. It should be fine and update normally in one to two days time, like mine. If the problem persists I guess we should keep this thread open for more details. I hope I helped in some way.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Annu, your above tip worked as you described.

Sorry this didn't help.

To stop the services, rather than using the Command Window in Admin mode (failed for me also), press Ctrl + Alt + Del, select Task Manager from the list, and then choose the Services tab.

From here you should be able to stop WUAUSERV and BITS (these are the only 2 I needed to stop).

As for renaming C:\Windows\Software distribution, I deleted the entire contents of Software Distribution -> It did fail on a few folders during the first pass, but successfully deleted all after reboot.

So to recap, here are the steps:

1. Stop the services

2. Delete the files/folders

3. Reboot if "access denied" or "file in use" while deleting files

4. If reboot necessary, stop services again

5. Delete the rest of the files

6. Restart the services

7. Launch Windows Update

You will know you are good to go if there are no updates listed, and you have to search for updates.

Good luck - robc

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally the problem is solved, naturally this may not work on your PC but it worked for me.  First you need to use Internet Explorer (not the new Edge Browser that does not work with Microsoft's own Update Catalog!!).  

Go to https://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3081438

Select either the 64 bit or 32 bit version and click Add.  

Click on View Basket (top right).

Click on Download.

Select an appropriate folder (I used Desktop)

Click on Continue (bottom right) and wait for it to download. Then click on Close and find the download on your Desktop (or where ever you chose to store it). Double click on the Download (called Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081438)) and hopefully it will install.

This manually installs the Update and in my case this actually worked and then the remaining updates installed (after a couple of reboots).

Hope this works for you as its driven me mad for over two months.....

Thanks to ComputerActive for this tip and no thanks to Microsoft who did precisely nothing.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was stuck at 4% since Aug 25. Followed these instructions to the letter -- worked *perfectly*  -- tell them you deserve the day off...

Sorry this didn't help.