Windows 10: How To Switch From 64 to 32 Bit?

My military email requires use of 32 bit so I can enable S/MIME. How can I switch from Windows 10 64 bit to 32 bit?
|

You would need to clean install Windows 10 32bit. (this will wipe the hard drive completely) The licence you have for 64bit is also valid for 32bit so you don't need a key.

Use the Media Creation Tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 boot from the media you have created and select to install 32bit of the edition you have. When asked for a key select Skip or Do this later or whatever allows you to move to the next step. You will also need to use the Custom install and delete all windows partitions.

Are you really sure you need to install a 32bit version as 32bit programs are supported in 64bit windows. Depends on what you are using to read your email.

70 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You can't. There's no way to change the "bitness" of any version of Windows from 32-bit to 64-bit, or vice versa. The only way to can get what you want is by doing a clean installation.

What e-mail program is this? I've never heard of one that requires 32-bit Windows.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry, before I saw your reply, I answered, saying much the same thing that you did.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Neillpzz makes a very good point, 32bit applications run happily on 64bit systems . . .

S/MIME encryption can be enabled on 64bit systems without any issue, what Email client are you using?

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Instead of replacing the OS for your whole computer, you could also run 32 bit windows inside a Virtual Machine for the application you need to run.

If your computer has more than 4GB of ram, you really should be using a 64-bit OS, otherwise any additional ram will go unused.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 8, 2021 Views 44,361 Applies to: