Windows 10 Build 10240 update to Windows Update 1703

I have had update issues with my computer for over a year and I have not been able to remedy it, so I for a while I just gave up. I would get updates and my computer would do an automatic restart to try to update my computer to the latest version of Windows 10.

My computer always gets stuck at 32% on the install from Windows 10 Build 10240 to the latest Windows Update 1703. The error code that I get is 0xC1900101-0x30018 which is supposed to be an install fail in the first boot phase with error during SYSPREP. My understanding is that this error is related to the device driver stopped responding to setup.exe during upgrade. All of my device drivers have been recently upgraded the latest updates and I still have the problem. Before it installs, I turn off my Bluetooth, disconnect any USB cords to printers, keyboards, monitor, turn off my anti-virus, and disconnected from the internet, and it still locks up at 32% during the installation.

I have an HP Envy 17 with the upgraded sound and had issues with not having any sound after the upgrade to Windows 10. Not sure if the update problem is related to a sound card issue, but after upgrading my Windows 8 to Windows 10 a few years back, I would have issues with my Beats Audio sound playing from my laptop. Over a period of time with my audio problems, I think there must have been an update that fixed the sound, but the sound from my speakers do not have any where near the volume that they once had. My laptop speakers used to be able to pretty loud volume but ever since upgrading to Windows 10, they have never been the same. In order to get decent volume, I have to use remote speakers plugged into my audio jack.

I have been able to live with the lower volume which still is a nuisance, but I need to resolve the Windows 10 update issue.

Is it the same HP Envy 17 computer as in your 25 January 2016 thread? => https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/ab4ae44e-321b-4858-8342-a8c0489c8628
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes this is one in the same computer.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Assuming Windows 10 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting this post:

1. When (approx. date) did you purchase the HP computer?

2. Did the computer come with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 preinstalled?

3. Was the upgrade to Windows 10 offered & installed via Windows Update or did you upgrade manually?

4a. Assuming a third-party anti-virus application/security suite is NOT installed => What Definitions versions are currently listed in Windows Defender's Update tab?

4b. What Definitions last updated date?

4c. What happens when you click on the UPDATE button on that tab?

4d. What third-party anti-malware applications (i.e., not Windows Defender!) are installed, if any?  What third-party firewall, if any?

5. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

6. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool since you purchased the computer?

7. What OS Build of Windows 10 Version 1507 is currently installed (e.g., OS Build 10240.17533)?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

8. Is Adobe Flash Player version 26.0.0.151 installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER OR EDGE ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 

9. Is Firefox version 55 (or higher) and/or Google Chrome version 60.3112.90 (or higher) or any other alternate browser installed?

10. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., CCleaner's Registry Cleaner component; Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Total System Care; Advanced System Optimizer; Comodo System Cleaner; Glary Utilities; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG Quick CleanAVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; Norton PC Tuneup; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; FixMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Wise Care 365; Wise Cleaner; Bitdefender OneClick Optimizer; etc.)?

==============================================

[1] Programs and Features | Installed Updates

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) October 11, 2012.

2) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

3) Free offer upgrade.

4) Bitdefender Total Security 2017

5) The laptop originally came with Norton Internet Security 2011.

6) No.

7) Windows 10 Build 10240.

8) Adobe Flash Player 26.0.0.120.

9) Presently Firefox 54.0.1 32-bit.

10) I use Bitdefender OneClick Optimizer very frequently.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I may have grabbed the wrong end of the stick here. Assuming this thread concerns an HP Envy 17 computer, how many HP Envy 17 computers have you purchased since October 2012?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have only owned this single computer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have only owned this single computer.

Thank you. I asked because in your first post above you referenced an HP Envy 17 that was running Windows 8 at some point...

I have an HP Envy 17 with the upgraded sound and had issues with not having any sound after the upgrade to Windows 10. Not sure if the update problem is related to a sound card issue, but after upgrading my Windows 8 to Windows 10 [emphasis mine] a few years back, I would have issues with my Beats Audio sound playing from my laptop...

...and that sure sounds like the computer in your 25 January 2016 thread which, you told me, is that same computer as in this new thread where you told me the computer came with Windows 7 preinstalled, hence my puzzlement. That being said...

1. What anti-virus application or security suite was installed on the Windows 7 computer when you upgraded to Windows 10?

2. Can you successfully update Firefox to version 55 (or higher) manually? See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version 

3. Do you have backups of ALL the changes Bitdefender OneClick Optimizer has EVER made to the computer registry?

4. You're currently/still running Windows 10 Build 10240 [sic] - not Windows 10 Version 1507 (OS Build 10240.17443), is that correct?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chances are (99.99%) your HP computer came with a Norton free-trial or possibly a McAfee free-trial preinstalled. Doesn't matter if you never used it.

Fact: Norton and McAfee applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) My computer originally came with Windows 7. I am pretty sure that I had upgraded to Windows 8 before I downloaded the free update to Windows 10. I do not know what anti-virus I had at the time when I changed over to Windows 10.

2) Yes I just updated Firefox to 55.0.1 64-bit.

3) I doubt that I have all of the Bitdefender Optimizer files. I do not know where to find them and I had the regular Bitdefender anti-virus software when I started a few years back and then upgraded to the Total Security with the Optimizer feature.

4) When I go to Settings/System and click on About, it only states that I have Windows 10 Pro. It does not state what version or OS Build. When I click on the Windows key and the R button, the Winows version box displays a window that shows I have Windows 10 Build 10240.

5) Yes my computer had Norton Internet Security 2011 installed from the factory. How can I get rid of any leftovers?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OPTION A: Uninstall the Bitdefender application & reboot, make certain that Windows Defender and Windows Firewall are both enabled, download/run the Norton Removal Tool & reboot, reset Windows Update using the script (BAT file) in this tutorial & reboot again, then run a manual check for updates and see if any/all updates offered (e.g., KB4034668; KB4034662) will successfully install.

Note: Over the years we've learned that sometimes it's too late for the Norton and/or McAfee removal tools to "come to the rescue." This may be another one of those times.

OPTION B (Recommended): Do a clean install (not an upgrade or a Repair Install) of Windows 10 Version 1703, OS Build 15063.540). See https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html 

OPTION C: You may obtain third-party, Microsoft-sponsored (but not necessarily free) support via Windows Support/Answer Desk - Direct Chat Assistance
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/chat/4/
...or possibly https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/answerdesk/chat/default.aspx?productkey=awasahome

Global Customer Service phone numbers
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13948/global-customer-service-phone-numbers

Note: The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks for extended periods (i.e., more than a minute or two) in its current state. All business & personal data (including online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

Wish I'd had better news for you.  Good luck!

====================================================
DISCLAIMER: Posted AS IS with no guarantees. MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 29, 2024 Views 6,255 Applies to: