Where is "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" Option in Windows 10?

We want windows 10 to inform "Hey These Updates are available? Do you want to DOWNLOAD them? if yes which of these you want to download?(NOT DOWNLOAD AUTOMATICALLY)" like old editions.  Windows 10 does not download updates automatically but also install them. We only  have control over when to restart the machine.

We want control over downloading and installation of updates like previous windows versions. Is there a way we can get the old Windows Update option in Control Panel? Or another new way of choosing which updates to download?

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2018 Views 3,660 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Akila,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

In Windows 10, Windows Update Delivery Optimization lets you get Windows updates and Windows Store apps from sources in addition to Microsoft. This can help you get updates and apps more quickly if you have a limited or unreliable Internet connection. And if you own more than one PC, it can reduce the amount of Internet bandwidth needed to keep all of your PCs up-to-date. Delivery Optimization also sends updates and apps from your PC to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet.

Delivery Optimization is turned on by default in Windows 10. You may turn off Delivery Optimization if you wish. Follow the below link on how to turn off Delivery Optimization.

Windows Update Delivery Optimization: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Thanks and regards.
T Kiran Kishore.
Forum Moderator OneDrive, Support Engineer.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Kiran Kishore for the response, however, while the information you provided is interesting, it doesn't answer the questions posted. The question clearly states:

"We want control over downloading and installation of updates like previous windows versions. Is there a way we can get the old Windows Update option in Control Panel? Or another new way of choosing which updates to download?"

To be more specific:

Older versions of Windows had an option to check for updates but not download or install them. This was a great option since I don't want my machine spending a bunch of resources and time downloading and  installing updates when I just turned it on and have something I'm in a rush to complete. They slow down my computer for an extended period of time that I don't have. I need to get something done now and was assuming I could boot my machine, get the information I need, and get done. But no, I have to wait for all the background checking and installing updates to completed. Even typing this response is taking a great deal of time since my computer is installing updates. 

Also, why would anyone think it's a good ideal to use torrent style distribution of critical system updates? Why would I want  my machine delivering updates to other systems on the Internet? Sure to my network - just an automated version of WSUS - that I have no control over other than to turn off.

Seems to me that Microsoft has made some assumptions in regard to connectivity and sharing in this operating system of what Microsoft wants to do with it and didn't really ask users if they would mind.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was told when you upgraded windows 10 for free it was part of the user agreement that Windows would have control of the updates.  That suggests to me if you want full control of updates you have to buy a version of Windows 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was told when you upgraded windows 10 for free it was part of the user agreement that Windows would have control of the updates.  That suggests to me if you want full control of updates you have to buy a version of Windows 10.

No, this is not entirely true. It all depends on which edition you are running. The following explains what can be done for each edition:

What does Windows as a Service entail?

Since the introduction of Windows Update as part of Windows, Microsoft has delivered updates as way to keep Windows updated and secure. This has always been the way the company keeps commercial versions of Windows on the market current.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is making significant changes to this model by delivering new methods of servicing Windows. Taking into account we now live in a mobile, constantly connected world, where threats happen all the time. Part of the solution to this is to keep users current by providing the latest updates as soon as they are available in addition to delivering features as soon as they ready too.

Microsoft will do this using three types of service branches for Windows 10:

Service Branch

Options

Edition

Current Branch

• Security Updates, Features and Fixes are automatically applied.
  • There is no option to delay or customize these updates.
  • Windows 10 Home

Current Branch for Business (CBB)

• CBB includes the requirements of the Current Branch, but also provides the option of customizing when and which Security Updates, Features and Fixes are applied, similar to how Windows Update works today in current versions of Windows. 
  • Updates cannot be deferred indefinitely.
  • Windows Updates can be managed using enterprise management tools such as Windows Update for Business and/ WSUS.
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Education

Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB)

• Only available to volume license customers running Windows 10 Enterprise.
  • Flexible options for managing Windows Updates.
  • Windows Updates can be customized to only accept Security Fixes.
  • Windows Updates can be managed using enterprise management tools such as Windows Update for Business and/ WSUS.
  • Windows 10 Enterprise

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Because there is no option to customize or select updates on my edition of Windows 10 a lot of problems were created after some updates were installed or drivers changed. After a long process to figure out the reason behind errors and I uninstalled the updates associated with the errors and the errors stopped. Now if these updates are reinstalled because I don't have option to unselect them I'm convinced the problems will reappear! REALLY!!!

I want to enjoy PC & and adjust it to my needs!

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I often use my computer for detailed and lengthy data inquiries. The last thing I want is for Windows to unexpectedly decide - purely from its own algorithmic reasoning - that it needs to do something superseding my command of my personal computing device. I also deeply resent it when I start up my computer for a short task and have to wait while the control of my computer - which I paid several thousand dollars for - is hijacked and its algorithm reasons that updating my computer that very second is more important than the task my human mind determined is more important. 

If Microsoft wants to know why they are losing market share - this type of high-handed management is a prime reason.

The sheer arrogance of such decision making harkens back to the days of Data Processing Departments controlling all aspects of user control of computing systems - totally independent of organizational mandates and strategies and tactics. This situation was part of the very movement that made personal computing so popular in the first place.

Why in the world can't Microsoft automatically download updates - and then courteously allow me to choose which updates and what time they will be installed? After all, I bought the Windows 10 operating system and the computer it operates. Windows 10 is a pretty good operating system and supports a pretty good ecology of related computing services and hardware. I have always thought, even though I am proficient in the use of competitive systems, that Microsoft makes the best OS and computing software and that anything else is purely rinky-dink.

But my mind could change. Too much of this high-handedness could end up being the tipping point. 

Please modify your policy on allowing the user more control of when and what gets updated on his property.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

if you are a windows insider and installed the fall creators update then your screwed I did find away to get by all that very simply by unsubscribing to the insiders then go to windows update and click on don't send me up dates so then you wont have t worry about accidentally reboot computer then I did a full drive wipe because they hide it in the registry and I couldn't get rid of it after the new install its gone but you better make sure you have a back up of files and apps theres more  so reply if you want to know more 

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't agree more with the posters on this page.

I've always been able, in the past, to pick and choose the Windows downloads I want on my machine.

I am enraged that I can no longer do so.

Not only is Microsoft chewing up my memory, it is also screwing up some of my current settings, documents and programs.

It is arrogant of Microsoft to take control of MY machine in this manner.

Stop it.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If you opted for the fall creates insiders your screwed I reimaged my system and they still tried to get me it was a pain full process but once I went back to manufacture drivers and such and got rid of the insider hub sneakily hid in my registry and all the new apps they installed things are fine

Sorry this didn't help.

Try this, still testing to see if it actually worked though :-):

Open Group Policy Editor start -> run ->(gpedit)

Goto : 

Computer COnfiguration

Administrative Templates

Windows Components

Windows Update

Dbl Click "Configure Automatic Updates" on the right

Then,

click "Enabled" top right

select option 2 "Notify for download...." (first option in bottom left block).

Apply.

Hope it works

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.