restore from Windows 10 Pro to genuine Windows 10 Home without losing data

original title - Windows Activation

Recently my hard disk got corrupted and I gave it to a local laptop repair center, they formatted my hard disk and everything was lost They somehow installed Windows 10 Pro on my laptop which doesn't look genuine as it keeps giving me activate windows popup.

Originally I had windows 7 home basic on my laptop which was genuine(came from OEM) and later I upgraded to Windows 10 home.

The sticker at bottom of my laptop showing product key is still there. Is there anyway I can restore my genuine windows without losing data. I have already tried "change the key" oprion it says the key isn't working. Please help!!

Question Info

Last updated August 18, 2019 Views 1,265 Applies to:

Hi,

I realize that you want to restore from Windows 10 Pro to genuine Windows 10 Home without losing data. I will try to help you with this issue.

As you have data to be backed up, suggest you to back the data first. Once that is done as Windows 10 Pro was installed instead of Windows 10 Home, you need to install Windows 7 Home first, then ensure that it is activated and then upgrade to Windows 10 Home. You may also use the Windows 10 ISO for the upgrade purpose.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I haven't done this but it works to change home to pro in some computers.. so maybe you can change pro to home with a temp install key.  

Be sure to make your backups first... and if you're lucky and it does change to Home, then use your win7 key if not activated online automatically after a few hours use.

Windows 10 Home: YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7   Temporary Install Key.

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Actually before installing Windows 10, they tried installing windows 7 on my laptop but after part of installation it started giving errors. Are windows 10 pro and windows 10 home 2 different software? or is it just availability of features provided from same software based on key used? If later is how it is then will it not be possible to somehow use my key and activate windows 10?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its not working, It says this key can't be used to activate this version of windows

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

If Windows 10 is installed as a fresh clean copy then you need a valid, legitimate product key of that edition for activation.

As you had Windows 7 home installed, it is obvious that you have the product key for Windows 7 Home and now Windows 10 Pro is installed hence you will not be able to use the Windows 7 Home product key on Windows 10 Pro for activation.

To know the difference between the editions of Windows 10 refer to this thread.

What are the editions of Windows 10 available?: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/what-are-the-editions-of-windows-10-available/195a4038-c061-4902-bc2b-35922c9d41bc

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-editions?wa=wsignin1.0

Take backup of your data and install Windows 7 Home on your HDD. Once it is done ensure to activate it and then upgrade to Windows 10 Home. You may retain Windows 10 Pro if you buy the product key for Windows 10 Pro.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Pro/productID.319935900

Keep us informed to help you further.

Sorry this didn't help.