Remove Grand Unified Boot Loader (GRUB) from Windows 10

Good Morning,

I have recently uninstalled the Linux Mint 17.3 (Ubuntu derivative), unfortunately the GNU GRUB Version 2.02 beta is still present. I want to get rid of it and rest my boot environment to simply the Windows bootloader.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. Deleted the Mint partition.
  2. Reformatted the partition.
  3. Used cmd as Administrator in attempt to access the EFI partition and change the boot record (could not access boot files)

I have been advised from a few sources to create a system repair disc, but some necessary files to do so are missing, and prompts me (after going through Control Panel>all control panel items> recovery) to use my Windows OS installation media.

I can't do this because the OS (Windows 8.1) was preinstalled on the computer, and I upgraded to Windows 10 at the first chance I could.

Have I missed anything?

Are there any CMD shortcuts I could use that have a reliable rate of success?

Ideally I'd like to sort this withing the Operating System environment, as restarting my computer each time to try out various fixes is tedious.

Faithfully

Matt

Answer
Answer

I had that issue when Grub was deposited on my SSD when I had installed a Linux distro to a USB using Live Linux.

I followed the above and it didn't work, so despite installing windows again, the following below worked for me (Dell Inspiron 3148 notebook). Differences in latest version of Windows 10: CommandPrompt (Admin) is now PowerShell (Admin), and I found I had to omit the /S when I removed the ubuntu boot directory, so I typed rmdir ubuntu It is copied and pasted from the Ask Ubuntu forum.

This answer is for those with UEFI who have deleted the Ubuntu partitions before removing grub

You will be doing this from Windows 10. No bootable media required.

Where bootrec /fixmbrbootsect /nt60 and the Ubuntu live with the boot-repair suggestions have failed, this has worked for me:

(This answer borrowed verbatim from here)

1. Run a cmd.exe process with administrator privileges
  2. Run diskpart
  3. Type: list disk then sel disk X where X is the drive your boot files reside on
  4. Type list vol to see all partitions (volumes) on the disk
  5. Select the EFI volume by typing: sel vol Y where Y is the SYSTEM volume (this is almost always the EFI partition)
  6. For convenience, assign a drive letter by typing: assign letter=Z: where Z is a free (unused) drive letter
  7. Type exit to leave disk part
  8. While still in the cmd prompt, type: Z: and hit enter, where Z was the drive letter you just created.
  9. Type dir to list directories on this mounted EFI partition
  10. If you are in the right place, you should see a directory called EFI
  11. Type cd EFI and then dir to list the child directories inside EFI
  12. Type rmdir /S ubuntu to delete the ubuntu boot directory

Assuming you only ever had two operating systems (Win 10 & Ubuntu) you should now be able to boot directly to Windows without hitting the black grub screen.

189 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2024 Views 31,575 Applies to: