Re-enabling the disabled only account on w10 stand alone desk-top

Jul 11, 2016

Hi,

I was upgrading my stand-alone desk-top  W10 from W7 Pro. It  locked me out at the login screen without any way to get into system or shutdown other than physically turning off the power.

Going through the not visible last user name's dir indicates in desktop an entry of system crash and w10 automatically recovering.  However, after that the system got into a default small desktop instead of the big one when it first booted with upgraded W10 from W7.  Wanting to go back to W7, the system wanted to delete the new user account created.  The situation is I have to get rid of the only new account that was the same id as the original W7 account but with a different desktop icons/apps.

In trying to create a new admin account, disabled the default login admin account with the old name and new user admin name and password  filled up - both done in the same window- some thing happened, or I shut down the system probably, before saving the dialogue.

This lead to starting system with no way to login. The error displayed on the login screen is  "Your account has been disabled.Please see your system administrator" without the arrow for other users and guest. In place of  'password entry' OK is shown.  Further, there are no other buttons for shut down or ease of access shown.  I do have boot-able pen drive that has the install-able W10 setup.

Going through the question on this in MS site and other sites  have been of no use.  Using safe mode via the pen-drive, enabling the default admin, guest, and users, do not show the default admin login.  'Net users' shows three accounts.  Setting the 'default admin' displays one or more errors but making it active completes with success.  Creating and adding new user and local group are alive till exiting the safe mode.  On rebooting 'normally' goes back to the square one - locked up screenUsers dir does not show the user displayed on the locked up screen.

Anyway to  re-enable the new system created user account again or reinstall without losing all the Program Files and Program Files (x86)  the available setup option  through the reset(reinstall) while in safe mode?  I don't think this has admin/system right.

My dead line to revert to Windows 7 runs out in about 4 days.  Any way out other than resetting, which looses all the old 86 and 64 programs and setting, would be of great help.

Thanks

Riki

Hi Riki,

I highly appreciate your efforts and time.

I am sorry to know that you are locked out of the system.

I suggest you to run SFC scan in Safe Mode and check.

It scans for damaged system files. Right-click the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin). In the Command Prompt window, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

Then type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and hit Enter.

If the issue persists, then try to place the system in Clean Boot and check.

This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows. It starts Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs.

How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" in the above link.

If the issue persists, try in Startup repair.

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website and create Windows 10 installation media.
  2. Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.
  3. On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer. (If you’re not seeing this screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to boot from media, and then try again.)
  4. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select Advanced Options > Startup Repair.

Please get back to us with the results to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jul 13,2016

Thank you Kalpana for your suggestions.   But I doubt the scan will help any as the problem is disabled login account.

1.  w10 crashed and recovered but with a new minimal desktop instead of the w7 desktop with lots of things.  The msg on the screen was it would take one hour to fix hard disk but came back in about 15 or so minutes.

2. It took me 4 days to figure out the screen colors and unwieldy desktop.  I wanted to go back to w7

3. Then system crashed and self-recovered with the use-id same as the W7 and previous W10 but very minimal, probably default, desktop.  I could copy the old desktop stuff the new one.  Worked okay for
1 1/2 days.  Reverting to W7 needed the new user to be deleted.  It puzzled me as I did not create any.

4. I wanted to create new admin user to check out the new I/F of W10.  I got into the right screen disabled the login account and filled up screens to create the new admin user.  I do not remember whether I  completed all steps.

5.  Either I turned off power or power went down before leaving for a few minutes.  After the break, the system booted as in 3.

6. yahooing/googling lead me to various solutions none being fruitful.  Default admin account was inaccessible  as there was no way to get out of the locked out screen with no button or anything else.

7. Using bootable W10 setup pen drive I could get into safe mode (selected 3rd choice with cmd prompts).   Was able to look at various files, visible and non visible on the root (c:\) dir and others.

8. Login user was not found in 'users' dir. Old ones were there.  The default  dir's were there.  Enabled the default admin, user and guests were present.  Going through the ct login user desktop lead me the discovery of the crash and auto repair.   net users showed the 3 default ones. Using 'net user administrator'  or 'net users' command reported one or more errors.  All  3 activations  completed successfully.  Creation of local group and users worked okay with 'net user'.  These lasted until I exited the safe mode to start normally without the pen drive.

9 Starting the w10 normally went back to square one!

10. So, is there any way to activate the disabled user-id?  The setup disk does not give choice of reverting to W7.  The choice to reset without losing user docs but killing his programs (apps) and settings could be usable but I need to install whole bunch afresh, some of them may not even be on net any more.

11. I suspect 'reset' will also kill 'Windows.old'.  I wonder revert to W7 would  be possible then.  Pretty sure saving the program files with the  registry,  cannot  be of much use.  Anyway way to edit the SAM hive through 'regedit' for fixing the problem and saving it for normal boot.  I could not see the 'locked out  disabled user' through the 'regedit'.

My time to revert runs out on about 18th.  Of the one month, I have spent 18-19 days on  this lockup problem! Is there a way to extend this grace period?

Sincerely,

Riki

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Riki,

Sorry for the delayed reply and to know that the issue persists. 

Once you delete the account then it is not possible to activate the account and should not make any changes to the account if you want to revert to Windows 7 and it is valid for only 30days! And also system should be connected to power card when making some significant changes to the system.

Try Startup repair and check. 

If the issue persists you can try System Restore using the Windows 10 ISO.

Refer to System Restore using installation media and check if it helps. 

Recovery options in Windows 10:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

System Restore disclaimer: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

Or else reset without deleting the files/select Keep my files is the only option. For reset option refer the link above.

Note: Reset removes apps and drivers you installed, removes changes you made to settings and removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Please get back to us with the results to assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

7/19/16

Thanks kalpana for trying.   The bootable pen drive with both 32, and 64 bit W10 system installable was the one  used for getting into the safe mode.  DVD image also will do the same as the open drive.

1. Start up repair failed.

2. sys restore points failed as no sys restorint were made with w10. within the short duration 4 -6 daysto learn the w10 and sys crapped out.  And obviously, there was no sys restore points created on upgrade.

3. There was no system image created as that would have meant huge backup.

4. There was no option to go back to W7

5.  Both options to reset failed as the system complained as some thing not doable,

6. Re-install had both w10 pro and w10 options; but both failed complaining about boot partition.

7. BCDedit failed because the system was W10 with no way to stop the boot process.

8. All the data and program files, old Wxp and w7 users accounts and the the w10 recovered dir were okay. except I renamed the dir to remove the  user account that locked up as it was disabled  due to probable premature power down.  However, if booted normally, the w10 chugged along merrily to its locked up disabled account name!  Is this user account stored encrypted securely due to MS's protection of its SW?

9. Default admin accounts don't show up on the locked up screen even though they were enabled with net user cmds. So, are the buttons on that screen.

10. So did saving utilman,  copying cmd.exe to utilman and rebooting naormally.

11. The windows files and windows.old are all accessible from command mode.  Many files can be copied.

12 . Finally , xcopying has some out of memory problem and it could not copy all the files although dir cmd lists then all okay.

My 30 days ran out on17th  if 720 hours are used or yesterday if calendar used.

Hope that you don't run into a case like mine.  At least you can  quickly tell them what you have discovered now.

Riki

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jul 24, 2016

Hi Kalpana:

I suspect there  is a time lock,  because suddenly yesterday, exactly after 30 days, I could get 2 options,  w10 and w10 Pro recovered. The w10  pro does complain about w10\system32\winload.efi being missing or corrupted with status 0xc000000f.  Restarting with setup usb drive, and going to repair the computer does not correct the problem.  Where is w10 located?  The w10 is at the root directory (c:\).

Any help?

w10 seems to work okay with built-in  admin.

Riki

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 26, 2023 Views 985 Applies to: